New iPod Shuffle
Jan 15, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #316 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Just for the record, iTunes supported other players (Apple even worked with them) before they went 'all iPod', at least on OS X. This was before smart playlists and AAC support was obviously left off, etc., so you're right. I have an old Yepp player that shows up in iTunes and Rio still offers downloads to make them too. This doesn't take advantage of nearly all of iTunes options, but does some. So iTunes compatibility, but not total compatibility. Then again I don't use sync, shuffle and rarely smartlists (only to prepare a manual load) so these missing elements aren't huge for me or my friend who now uses the Yepp... though considering a Shuffle.

thanks for the info...i didn't know that some players still show up in itunes. another interesting feature of the ipod shuffle is that it limits the bitrate of the file you can play on it...so, no AL files on the ipod shuffle. maybe limited to 256? but itunes has a feature for the ipod shuffle that will ask you if you want to convert AL files to 128 kbps for the ipod shuffle...it still keeps your AL files. moreover, you can use the music store for the ipod shuffle, which may be anathema to many here in head-fi, but would be perfect for small bitrate songs for the ipod shuffle.

i love the smart playlists, actually...it's probably my favorite thing in itunes.

Jan 15, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #317 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
i love the smart playlists, actually...it's probably my favorite thing in itunes.

Smart playlists are what make iTunes & iPod *personal* technology. It is all "just" code, but like the Newton's handwriting recognition, the code allows the computer to interpret what you want, allows it to adapt to your needs, in the end enhancing your experience of the device, making you more effective. The task for Smart playlists, working on ID3 tags, playcounts etc. may be much more simple than collecting & analyzing data from handwriting, but in the end it is what makes my iPod *my* iPod.

Jan 16, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #320 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edvard_Grieg
Frankly, I don't think the average consumer is a complete moron. (not a flame, just a statement)

I never said the average consumer is a complete moron, although I've read many such statements in these forums directed at anyone that buys an iPod.

Wanting to have simplicity has nothing to do with being smart or dumb. I know many very intelligent people who have a difficult time navigating directories.

If you're happy dragging your music files to your player, then good for you. You can use any of the many flash players with more features. I used to do that with my i-Jam, and I hated it. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I love smart playlists and auto-syncing. These are two of the best features of iTunes, and they only work with the iPod.

Edit:
I'm simply pointing out that the general consumer will prefer the simplicity of the iTunes interface over manually dragging files around. iTunes is simpler, faster, and just plain easier to use... THAT'S what sells products, not wiz-bang features (unless you're a gadget-geek, like many here).

Jan 16, 2005 at 10:22 AM Post #321 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edvard_Grieg
Frankly, I don't think the average consumer is a complete moron. (not a flame, just a statement)

The average consumer wants to do it the easy way, and likewise most intelligent consumers. The brightest people I know are also some of the "laziest" people I know. I don't mean that they don't work hard, but they don't want unneeded steps in their processes and, in general, they hate anything that might slow their progress to their ultimate goal (whether that's listening to music or designing large AI systems). That's the beauty of the iPod. It gets you from point A to point B with a minimum of fuss.

Jan 21, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #325 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
Nope, it is simply a USB connector!

What's the purpose of it, then? To look pretty? You could just leave a USB cable draped from the back of your computer to accomplish the same thing.

Of course, it doesn't really matter. Who's going to want the Shuffle to have a line-out on the dock so they can amp it? Especially when it can't play high bitrate files? So, meh.

Jan 21, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #326 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by IstariAsuka
What's the purpose of it, then? To look pretty? You could just leave a USB cable draped from the back of your computer to accomplish the same thing.

Of course, it doesn't really matter. Who's going to want the Shuffle to have a line-out on the dock so they can amp it? Especially when it can't play high bitrate files? So, meh.

I figure a line-out is better than the earbud jack if you wanted to use a headphone amp. (even for less that audiophile bitrates). Just wondering.

Jan 21, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #327 of 356
I can see myself wanting something like that if I frequently exersized or ran. To be able to put a couple of my favorite albums/songs on and jog without worry would be a wonderful thing. And at only .78 ounces... thats pretty darn light.

Jan 22, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #328 of 356
The thing is ridiculous. I hope Apple bombs on this one, they deserve it.

With the IQ of the average buyer nowadays though, they will probably succeed into getting them to believe, that "SHUFFLE" is a new and exciting feature in flash players.

Jan 22, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #330 of 356
I don't understand why people who obviously don't like apple or their products care whether one of their products fail or not. There are people out there that do enjoy using apple products. Some people do like their products to be easy to use. I've always had ipods. I had the first 5gb and had to jump through hopes to use it on a pc. I've continued to use ipods, my whole family has ipods. I don't pretend they are the best. I haven't tried all the others, but they work for my purposes. I am certainly not going to waste my time bashing those other products with the lousy software, cheap build quality and difficult to use interfaces. I have 2 shuffles on the way. My experience with apple products (no computers by the way) has been good. Hopefully, after the shuffles arrive my feelings will be the same. If you don't like them, don't get them. Enjoy what you have and get over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back