New iPod Shuffle
Jan 22, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #331 of 356
I'm wondering if the ipod will sound slightly better than other sigmatel players due to the use of a li-ion battery of 3.6+ v compared to a 1.5 or 1.2v aaa???

But i have no idea how these sigmatel chips work in terms of dc-dc conversions and things. I assume though that aaa versions at least need dc to dc conversions for the lcd or led's, but I dont know if there is any voltage conversion for the audio part of the players???

Then again it probably isn't very relevant, as hypothetically it would probably be at most the difference between pretty average and maybe slightly better than average.

Jan 22, 2005 at 2:19 PM Post #332 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I don't understand why people who obviously don't like apple or their products care whether one of their products fail or not. There are people out there that do enjoy using apple products. Some people do like their products to be easy to use. I've always had ipods. I had the first 5gb and had to jump through hopes to use it on a pc. I've continued to use ipods, my whole family has ipods. I don't pretend they are the best. I haven't tried all the others, but they work for my purposes. I am certainly not going to waste my time bashing those other products with the lousy software, cheap build quality and difficult to use interfaces. I have 2 shuffles on the way. My experience with apple products (no computers by the way) has been good. Hopefully, after the shuffles arrive my feelings will be the same. If you don't like them, don't get them. Enjoy what you have and get over it.

Well said Tyrion...I have never understood it. I being an Apple aficianado have never, for example, had the slightest urge to trash Creative or iRiver. I guess it goes back to the original Mac vs. PC debate. There are people who worship Bill Gates/Microsoft/Windows/anything technology that isn't Apple, and just can't stand the fact that Apple dares to continue to exist and successfully innovate. What else can it be...?
confused.gif

Jan 23, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #334 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by akerman
The thing is ridiculous. I hope Apple bombs on this one, they deserve it.

With the IQ of the average buyer nowadays though, they will probably succeed into getting them to believe, that "SHUFFLE" is a new and exciting feature in flash players.

OK, this is getting a bit old. Where does Apple (or anyone) say that Apple invented anything new with the Shuffle???
confused.gif

Also, as I have said before, just because someone dares to prefer something that's easy to use over something with 1000 features they may or may not want, doesn't mean they are dumb
rolleyes.gif

Jan 23, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #335 of 356
So-so idea, clever product, [bold] great [/bold] marketing.

It takes Apple to show the rest of the world that you can still store data in your music player.
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #336 of 356
Wow ! Must be one of the longest threads in a while ! Sorry - sotch (new boy) here. Have read the thread (most of it !) and while I'm not necessarily qualified to comment (not owned any kind of mp3 player yet but looking to get one) I was interested to notice how much 'ipod shuffle bashing' there was. Other makes/models are mentioned in preference to the shuffle but no mention of Sony or their E99 (in my eyes, quite similar to the ipod shuffle). Are Sony so off the mark? Or not even on the same planet ?

Cheers - sotch

Jan 24, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #337 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by sotch
Wow ! Must be one of the longest threads in a while ! Sorry - sotch (new boy) here. Have read the thread (most of it !) and while I'm not necessarily qualified to comment (not owned any kind of mp3 player yet but looking to get one) I was interested to notice how much 'ipod shuffle bashing' there was. Other makes/models are mentioned in preference to the shuffle but no mention of Sony or their E99 (in my eyes, quite similar to the ipod shuffle). Are Sony so off the mark? Or not even on the same planet ?

Cheers - sotch

Sony kind of had the iPod Shuffle with LCD no less or $400.00 a few years ago. It was called the MS Walkman. I'm staring at it now. But the copy protection hamstrung it, and if I remember correctly it did not support Apple Mac. I ran it under emulation and its' copy protection made my machine run at the speed of a glacier. But it was about the size of the current iPod Shuffle. It did require a white Sony memory card. I remember getting about 12 songs on it with the "white" memory stick I had at the time.. It had a lanyard, just like the iPod Shuffle. It had a huge powerbrick. Wish I could find it.

The sheen on the purple case was a wonder to behold. What is old is new again. I wish Apple put a small LCD window in the iShuffle.

I took a lot of heat defending it on the WWW.

Jan 24, 2005 at 1:24 PM Post #338 of 356
Hi 'Jazz1' - thanks for the reply - I'm new to this so had not heard about the MS Walkman. Does this mean that you don't think the current Sony machine (the E99) comes anywhere near the ipod shuffle ?

Cheers - sotch

Jan 24, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #339 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nospam
OK, this is getting a bit old. Where does Apple (or anyone) say that Apple invented anything new with the Shuffle???
confused.gif

Also, as I have said before, just because someone dares to prefer something that's easy to use over something with 1000 features they may or may not want, doesn't mean they are dumb
rolleyes.gif

It doesn't say directly, or they could be sued. But if you have read the text about the iShuffle, I can't see how you can disagree, unless you're a fanboy.

Any other flash player is just as easy to use, all of them have play/stop/FF buttons as far as i can recall. Difference is, that if you WANT more features, they are there for you - otherwise you can just ignore them.

Jan 24, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #340 of 356
I have the sony nw-e99 1gb, it is a great player, i get 50hrs off one aaa battery playing mostly 192kbps mp3s (yes it does play mp3 natively).
It also is very well built , mostly metal with a plastic overcoat and nice shuttle switch.
I however have just bought a 512mb shuffle off ebay, should get it in a couple of days, i like the design and i heard a demo in scotsys in edinburgh and the sound quality was very good, better than my old 3g 15gb in my opinion, more bass and very detailed.
Now i like having a display on my sony and i do use it but i figure that with 512mb it wont matter too much not having it, i use it in shuffle most of the time.
I will sell the loser!

Jan 24, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #341 of 356
Quote:

It doesn't say directly, or they could be sued. But if you have read the text about the iShuffle, I can't see how you can disagree, unless you're a fanboy...

Sigh... I've read and re-read Apple's web site, and there's absolutely nothing there that claims (or alludes) that Apple invented anything new with the Shuttle. Apparently, in your mind, that makes me a "fanboy"... whatever
rolleyes.gif
That type of idiotic comment just isn't worth my time.

Quote:

...Any other flash player is just as easy to use, all of them have play/stop/FF buttons as far as i can recall. Difference is, that if you WANT more features, they are there for you - otherwise you can just ignore them.

You have a very narrow-minded view of ease-of-use. After the myriad of posts about this subject, you focus solely on the player's controls and completely discount how iTunes streamlines the entire process of getting the songs onto the player. Sure, it isn't important to you, but it matters to the average consumer (as well as anyone who values their time).

Jan 24, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #342 of 356
Quote:

It doesn't say directly, or they could be sued. But if you have read the text about the iShuffle, I can't see how you can disagree, unless you're a fanboy.

Man another 'accurate=fanboy' statement. Why do I see that more on this site, than most? Apple is hyping the feature. That's all. See movie trailers.

I really think Head-Fiers are looking at it all wrong. Apples not trying to screw over the public by subtracting a screen, then hiding it by claiming to invent a new feature. I think the hyped random and way it newly integrates with iTunes, Apple is trying to make a product that seems to have larger capacity than it does for the average user. If the next song is always unknown ahead of time** and each time you sync potentially new songs are added, 512 Mb can seem quite large. I still wish it had a screen for my use and likely most here, but that's my theory anyhow for its design and those that eventually buy it. If that make me a fanboy, so be it.

** Okay, lack of screen also cheapened the construction price and breakage issues too.

Jan 24, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #343 of 356
Quote:

** Okay, lack of screen also cheapened the construction price and breakage issues too.

It also reduced the time it took to develop it and allows apple to sell it cheaper than everyone else. I think the main thrust of the unit is to drive down the price of a lot of other players and force some people out of the market.

Also, the reason they are promoting shuffle as a feature is that they can't tell people that they can't run with their iPods (without breaking them) now that they've sold millions of them. But at the same time, they need something to use to hype the product. So they siezed on the shuffle mode. Wow. My 1992 CD player does that too.

Jan 24, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #344 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by Analog_Kid
It also reduced the time it took to develop it and allows apple to sell it cheaper than everyone else. I think the main thrust of the unit is to drive down the price of a lot of other players and force some people out of the market.

And you have the inside scoop on how long it took to develop? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you don't. How do you know they didn't develope it with a screen then scrap it later?

Jan 25, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #345 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by sotch
Hi 'Jazz1' - thanks for the reply - I'm new to this so had not heard about the MS Walkman. Does this mean that you don't think the current Sony machine (the E99) comes anywhere near the ipod shuffle ?

Cheers - sotch

Nope, just going down memory lane when I had to spend $400.00 to get 16 or so songs on a memory stick. I'm not familiar with Sony's current offerings. Do they still require ATRAC DRM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back