New iPod Shuffle
Jan 11, 2005 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 356

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
From Engadget - http://engadget.com/entry/1234000477026962/

10:42am - Over 400 iPod accessories. Talking about iPod and BMW. More car adapters to come: Mercedes, Nissan, Volvo, Scion, Alfa Romeo, Ferrari.

10:44am - Cellphones. Rehashing stuff Motorola announced at CES. Will be Motorola-branded phone, out Spring 2005. No applause.

10:45am - One more thing… iPod market share last year: 31 percent. Flash had 62 percent. “Wannabes” were 7 percent. iPod mini went after high end of the flash market. Now iPod market share is at 65 percent, flash is at 29%, wannabes at 6 percent. “We’d like to go after the remaining 29%.”

10:47am - Attributes of current flash players: AAA battery, tortured UI, very small display, no click wheel. Needed an original idea.

10:48am - Something happened in the iPod market. They discovered a new way to listen to music: shuffle. Basing new flash-based player around shuffle. iPod Shuffle. No display on player. Looks like a little stick. Smaller than most packs of gum. Like an elegant thumb drive. Weighs less than one ounce. Button to play and pause. Volume up and down button. Previous and next song. That’s it. Nothing else.

10:50am - Cap on bottom hides USB 2.0 connector (you can use it as a flash drive!). PC or Mac. Shipping with lanyard. 12 hour rechargeable battery. Integration between device and iTunes.

10:52am - Something called “AutoFill”. Will automatically build a playlist for iPod Shuffle.

10:54am - 512MB = $99. 1GB for $149. No 2GB version. Shipping TODAY from the factory. Accessories, armband, dock, waterproof sports case. Battery extender. Accessories are $29 each.

shuffleheroc20050111.jpg
shufflelifestylec20050111.jpg

Jan 11, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 356
I can understand people buying an iPod, but anyone buying this thing is just dumb.

512MB/1GB of music with no screen. Wow, you'd have to really be oblivious and belong to the Cult of Apple to buy this thing...

Jan 11, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by IstariAsuka
I can understand people buying an iPod, but anyone buying this thing is just dumb.

512MB/1GB of music with no screen. Wow, you'd have to really be oblivious and belong to the Cult of Apple to buy this thing...

Prolly they all use 64kbps .wma, so that makes about 500 songs to listen to without screen... Marvelous idea... NOT

Jan 11, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ojjorz
Prolly they all use 64kbps .wma, so that makes about 500 songs to listen to without screen... Marvelous idea... NOT

Yeah, I bet those WMA files will sound nice on the iPod.

Jan 11, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Yeah, I bet those WMA files will sound nice on the iPod.

lol
600smile.gif

At least they'd be easy to play in whatever order you want on this thing!

Jan 11, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ojjorz

wma doesn't work on apple
wink.gif

edit: bah beaten

Jan 11, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 356
Here's another picture:
shuffleherob20050111.jpg

Man I'd hoped they at least come out with a 5 gig mini. Guess I won't be getting a new iPod in this round...

Jan 11, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 356
Looks like the rumors were true. Sheez. I'm not going to say it's a rip-off per se. But it's ONLY reason for existance is iTunes. Since it integrates, I guess I can see SOME people looking to get it. Aw - who am I kidding? A whole bunch of people are going to buy it regardless of usefullness.

There are 100 other devices of similar size and function, but that add a display, voice recording, even FM tuning for about the same money. Oh, and they all have a shuffle mode, I believe.

But it's Apple - they can't sell any computers, but they move DAPs like crazy!

Jan 11, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #10 of 356
it doesn't look very pretty, does it? just something about the proportion. ug. I don't have an iPod, but they sure look nice...this thing...er...doesn't.

(i presume it *can* play in non-shuffle mode, right? At least, I hope so. heh.)

Jan 11, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFRfan
But it's Apple - they can't sell any computers, but they move DAPs like crazy!

Here's hoping they start selling computers. This was the more interesting introduction if you ask me. A little surprised the iPod Shuffle was announced after. Anyway, back to audio...

Jan 11, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #12 of 356
i was looking for to this products looks but i've been let down now because it looks worse than that rumour picture from the other thread. The thing looks likes like it could have had a screen on it at least. the edges should also be rounded as from the picture, with the green background, shows that it is rigid. not ideal in my opinion. This will not sell as well as the other ipods.

If i had to choose between iriver ifp or this? Iriver wins.

Jan 11, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #14 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Here's hoping they start selling computers. This was the more interesting introduction if you ask me. A little surprised the iPod Shuffle was announced after. Anyway, back to audio...

Yeah - they may have one sold to me finally. Now I can get one cheap, throw on a USB KVM switch and actually get to play around with Panther, etc.

EDIT: no DVD burner hurts (was looking forward to fiddling with final cut pro). Hmm. I wonder if my Sony DVD+-RW in my ADS firewire enclosure will show up on a MAC. That might work.

Jan 11, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #15 of 356
This guy looks confused... or angry.

shufflelifestyleb20050111.jpg

And remember everyone, a year ago we Head-Fiers all said the iPod mini wouldn't sell well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back