New iPod Shuffle
Jan 14, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #286 of 356
Everyone's going on and on about batteries and screens, but what about the important question:
HOW'S THE SOUND QUALITY?

If it's at least as good as the regular ipod, I want one, otherwise raspberries to Apple.

Jan 14, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #287 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by evillamer
I think the ipod shuffle will be useless as an audiobook device.
etysmile.gif

Sequence:
Chapter 1 - Chapter 32 - Chapter 21 - Chapter 14

That's Pulp Fiction.
icon10.gif

Just kidding, there is a normal mode for it to play.

Jan 14, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #288 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
Everyone's going on and on about batteries and screens, but what about the important question:
HOW'S THE SOUND QUALITY?

If it's at least as good as the regular ipod, I want one, otherwise raspberries to Apple.

If it use Sigmatel DSP, the sound quality just the same as Creative MuVo series.

Jan 14, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #289 of 356
My personal opinion.

I always had my MP3 player in Shuffle Repeat mode, so I think it is nothing wrong for iPod Shuffle. Of coz I am not that stupid to think Shuffle mode is invented by Apple.

While I impressed with the iPod Shuffle ID, I prefer MuVo N200 better, for a couple of reason.

1. Battery.
I prefer the idea of removable battery and the idea of using AA or AAA battery. Reason is simple enough, when the battery run flat, what I need to do is get a new battery and slip into. Battery pack just make the player looks bulky. Plus, there are lots of Rechargable AA or AAA Battery selling out there and I bet they are much cheaper than the battery pack in term of playback_time per dollar. For me, Apple just want to make more money from its accessories.

2. LCD Screen.
A LCD screen is handy for me. There is time when I was in mood wanted to listen to certain songs, so I scrolled and search the song. That will be a pain if there is no LCD screen. And when the battery is nearly flat out, I can read that info from the LCD screen. If the player suddenly stop, from the LCD screen I can know if the player is Hang or run out of battery. Honestly, lots of benefits with a LCD screen here.

Plus, with its size, if there is a FM Tuner will be better. But this is subjective.

Jan 14, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #290 of 356
Using one a little more in a more relaxed setting I have some other information about using it as flash drive.

If you do not set aside a certain amount in the settings window, you can still store data on the drive (at least on a Mac) and it shows up as a DOS volume so it should be the same on a PC.

If you have a playlist and that is only 350MB, then the remainder will work as data.

But.... if you use the random autofill function, the next time you sync it will wipe the data and fill it up with music instead.

Oh yeah... with the lanyard attached the thing hangs upside down
blink.gif

Jan 14, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #291 of 356
NEWSFLASH - friend (works in retail for apple) told me that he had a shuffle for 2 days and battery only lasted 5 hours max , he did say he spent a long time moving back and forward through tracks. Piss poor. He did however say that it sounds better than his 4g!

Jan 14, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #292 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by Analog_Kid
I could accept the ipod shuffle if it had gapless playback - does it, and do any of the flash players have gapless playback?

New sony nw-e99 has gapless atrac and mp3 playback , i know i have one..it rocks

Jan 14, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #293 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by doomlordis
NEWSFLASH - friend (works in retail for apple) told me that he had a shuffle for 2 days and battery only lasted 5 hours max , he did say he spent a long time moving back and forward through tracks. Piss poor. He did however say that it sounds better than his 4g!

I can understand that, my friend who own a MuVo TX FM and Zen Micro also have the same feeling where his TX FM is better than his Zen Micro in certain songs with same EQ setting.

Jan 14, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #294 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by doomlordis

NEWSFLASH - The earlier mentioned review said battery life was actually 15 hours and 44 minutes. Seems it can either fluctuate greatly or your friend had a defective unit (or the WSJ reporter had a defective unit that went the other way).

Jan 15, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #295 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man
Oh yeah... with the lanyard attached the thing hangs upside down
blink.gif

it hangs upside down so that when you grab hold of it, you can look down at it without twisting it around.

Jan 15, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #296 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nospam
Well... just because they say they're Mac compatible doesn't mean much. If you read the details, they only support MP3 and WMA formats. Since iTunes (which most Mac users use for their music) defaults to AAC encoding, the majority of Mac users will have their music encoded in AAC format.

Also, I doubt either of these devices work directly with iTunes, so you lose that part of the ease-of-use.

I'm not saying they won't work. They simply won't work with the same ease-of-use that most Mac users are accustomed to having.

Should just show up as a disk in Finder or on the Desktop/Dock, then you just drag music on to it. How much easier would you like?

Jan 15, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #297 of 356
The iPod Shuffle must have bloated school-boy bass.
600smile.gif

Jan 15, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #298 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
NEWSFLASH - The earlier mentioned review said battery life was actually 15 hours and 44 minutes. Seems it can either fluctuate greatly or your friend had a defective unit (or the WSJ reporter had a defective unit that went the other way).

I know it's small and all, but that battery life sucks really badly. I mean, the Rio Carbon gets battery life in that realm, and it has a screen and a hard drive O_O

Jan 15, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #299 of 356
In my opinion, if any other company were to put out this EXACT same product, it would be a flop. People would think "Are they serious?" As far as I'm concerned, the 'IPOD' name is the only thing that will make it a success.

Jan 15, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #300 of 356
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edvard_Grieg
Should just show up as a disk in Finder or on the Desktop/Dock, then you just drag music on to it. How much easier would you like?

1) Plug into USB port.
2) iTunes launches, picks a random grouping of music (or a custom playlist you've already selected), copies to player.
3) Unplug and go.

Just like the Shuffle
biggrin.gif

The average consumer doesn't want to go digging into multiple levels of directories, find the music files they want, and drag them to the player. In fact, your average consumer probably wouldn't know HOW to do that
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back