New iPod Family!
Sep 10, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #391 of 451
I wouldn't consider myself a dyed in the wool Audiophile, but I do appreciate well tagged music with cover art... and most friends who browse my music collection appreciate it too, maybe not so much for the beauty of it (to me) to have things completed, but also from a utility standpoint. It was even worth $20 to one person to have me organize their music the way I do. Even if it is declining, I think many people still place some value on well tagged media, especially when you are using ID3 tags to sort the music, or if you aren't, folder organization really helps. You are right that they don't worry/care much, but they still appreciate it for its utility.

Quote:
"...They probably don't worry about playlists, about perfect tagging, about covers, about song tracklisting. Think about it this way: just 5 years ago, people were buying CD's and five years before that, they organised CD's alphabetically. The market isn't even ten years old yet, so I doubt that even dyed in the wool 'audiophiles' spend much time organising playlists..."

Sep 10, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #392 of 451

Quote:
What apple is doing, IMO, is trying to suck loads of people in (what they have been doing over the years) and NOW, since they have a lot, make it harder and harder for you to get out.

I think this is pretty much the reason for the touchscreen nano. The touchscreen itself is what drew people to the iPhone/Touch. Apple is giving in to the business side of things and trying to capitalize on this.

There was talk in the months leading up to the release that there would be a "mini touch." I don't think nano video playback is gone forever. In fact, I'm calling it now that next gen will be a widescreen nano, perhaps 320x240 screen like the last few generations (excluding current). Why? Because Apple is stubborn. They're definitely not going back on the touchscreen, which is their newest revolution (and to be fair, they were largely responsible for popularizing capacitive screens), but the demand for video will be intense. I don't think it was widescreen this generation because Apple did not want to cannibalize Touch sales. Frankly, they have no way out, so they'll have to offer a mini touch.

While I'm at it, I might as well throw in my thoughts on the new Touch. The camera is a total gimmick and I honestly don't see why no IPS screen. Apple could build the touch at $300 and sell it for $300 and still make bank off of app sales. On the other hand, I can't blame them for profiting off of what is essentially their monopoly (I wish it was different; I love the Zune HD design, but no mac compatibility + no open app market = microsoft has really lost their edge). I wouldn't be upgrading from my current second gen if not for the fact that I bought it used and I'd like to have a new iPod (mine's dented and scratched, functional but not what I considered a "permanent solution" when I bought it). On the other hand, it is an upgrade. Battery life is the best of all 4 generations (unlike the 3rd gen, which shrank compared to 2nd gen). It has A4 processor just as fast as the iPhone 4 (possibly slightly faster to compensate for less RAM? Benchmarks were suspiciously close). That Final Fantasy Tactics port sure will look good on the new Retina Display. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #393 of 451

Quote:
What a 'fun' thread. God, Penatur, if you hate Apple so much and have NOTHING at all that is useful to the thread, leave. I don't like the new iPod nano (but I've not used it) and am disappointed that the new iPod touch is thin again (where I'd prefer to have a nice camera), rather than chunky like the iPhone. 

If you are so set against Apple and its 'sound quality', you'll be surprised to know that it performs on par with Sony for driving headphones, the only difference is that Apple players have: gapless playback where Sony doesn't, Apple products don't hiss where Sony players hiss massively, and of course, Apple players have no EQ.

The last point only is a problem. I love my Sony players, but I can recognise that they have weaknesses. Currently, I own 4 of them and two Apple players. I also have the S:Flo/T51. If you want to argue sound quality, I am ready and can back up each and every claim. Whether you want to talk driving ability, noise, whatever - I am with you.

But, this thread is brought completely down by your insistence on bashing. There isn't a speck of truth in most of what you said, just mere reaction. I'm waiting for truth. If anything in this thread shows that sheep exist, it is that you insist in reacting to everything with such intense bleating. That, my friend, is what a sheep does.

I agree.  There is no difference between blindly following and blindly running away.  Blind love is the same as blind hatred.  But at least blind love has a positive twist. 

Sep 10, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #394 of 451
I personally don't have a problem with a weird product like the touch nano.  Part of innovation and creativity is making mistakes, and not being afraid to.  It's not possible to push the envelope and always succeed every time.  It just doesn't work that way.  I am much more excited about a company that creates new, interesting products than a company that always makes safe products that no one thinks are weird (or cares about at all)

Sep 10, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #395 of 451

Quote:
I think this is pretty much the reason for the touchscreen nano. The touchscreen itself is what drew people to the iPhone/Touch. Apple is giving in to the business side of things and trying to capitalize on this.

There was talk in the months leading up to the release that there would be a "mini touch." I don't think nano video playback is gone forever. In fact, I'm calling it now that next gen will be a widescreen nano, perhaps 320x240 screen like the last few generations (excluding current). Why? Because Apple is stubborn. They're definitely not going back on the touchscreen, which is their newest revolution (and to be fair, they were largely responsible for popularizing capacitive screens), but the demand for video will be intense. I don't think it was widescreen this generation because Apple did not want to cannibalize Touch sales. Frankly, they have no way out, so they'll have to offer a mini touch.

While I'm at it, I might as well throw in my thoughts on the new Touch. The camera is a total gimmick and I honestly don't see why no IPS screen. Apple could build the touch at $300 and sell it for $300 and still make bank off of app sales. On the other hand, I can't blame them for profiting off of what is essentially their monopoly (I wish it was different; I love the Zune HD design, but no mac compatibility + no open app market = microsoft has really lost their edge). I wouldn't be upgrading from my current second gen if not for the fact that I bought it used and I'd like to have a new iPod (mine's dented and scratched, functional but not what I considered a "permanent solution" when I bought it). On the other hand, it is an upgrade. Battery life is the best of all 4 generations (unlike the 3rd gen, which shrank compared to 2nd gen). It has A4 processor just as fast as the iPhone 4 (possibly slightly faster to compensate for less RAM? Benchmarks were suspiciously close). That Final Fantasy Tactics port sure will look good on the new Retina Display. 
biggrin.gif

completely agree with your last paragraph. I've seen comparisons of the camera and videos uploaded without compression and I don't like it; my Captivate does it a lot better (granted it should) but still....why put the camera if it sucks? I'd rather pay an extra 50 for a better camera (or they could just not earn so damn much per model).

Sep 10, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #396 of 451

Quote:
I wouldn't consider myself a dyed in the wool Audiophile, but I do appreciate well tagged music with cover art... and most friends who browse my music collection appreciate it too, maybe not so much for the beauty of it (to me) to have things completed, but also from a utility standpoint. It was even worth $20 to one person to have me organize their music the way I do. Even if it is declining, I think many people still place some value on well tagged media, especially when you are using ID3 tags to sort the music, or if you aren't, folder organization really helps. You are right that they don't worry/care much, but they still appreciate it for its utility.

Yea I only tag my music with artist, genre, and song title, but it is always perfect. I pick and chose from albums then delete what I don't love so album names aren't that import to me. I never do cover art either but hey, if my library isn't tagged correctly it irks me. Those hours are worth it though when you can find whatever you want in 5 seconds :)

Sep 10, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #397 of 451

Quote:
The nano would be difficult to use I think. Touch controls on such a small device. lol. Going to use two hands to control? It doesn't make sense to me at the moment. And I seriously doubt that 24-hr battery life. :)

For what it's worth, I actually use a 5th gen nano to burn in new headphones with pink noise. It's rather old, but even at higher than normal listening levels, I can leave it on and burning in for well over 24 hours before the battery dies. 

Sep 10, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #398 of 451
You guys sayings that the iPod Touch should be an iPhone without a phone need to realize and iPhone 4 32GB is 700$. I'm going to guess it's not worth that much (Maybe the retail price should be about 500$) but Apple needed to cut a lot of corners to get the Touch's price down to 300$, it's not just removing a phone and GPS circuit.

Sep 10, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #399 of 451

Quote:
You guys sayings that the iPod Touch should be an iPhone without a phone need to realize and iPhone 4 32GB is 700$. I'm going to guess it's not worth that much (Maybe the retail price should be about 500$) but Apple needed to cut a lot of corners to get the Touch's price down to 300$, it's not just removing a phone and GPS circuit.

This has been covered about 3 pages ago.

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #401 of 451

Quote:
Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmmm... So you think that the next iPod Nano will be a Cowon D2? Well, perhaps thinner since Apple chooses slick design before things such as expandable memory slots, custom EQ. On the other hand, capacitive touch screen is better than resistive, so that is the one thing that the iPod Nano is better at than the Cowon D2...

Sep 10, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #402 of 451

Quote:
Hmmm... So you think that the next iPod Nano will be a Cowon D2? Well, perhaps thinner since Apple chooses slick design before things such as expandable memory slots, custom EQ. On the other hand, capacitive touch screen is better than resistive, so that is the one thing that the iPod Nano is better at than the Cowon D2...

I would think something like the Archos 28 or Cowon, but really, really thin. It definitely won't play apps, that would hurt the touch.

Quote:
completely agree with your last paragraph. I've seen comparisons of the camera and videos uploaded without compression and I don't like it; my Captivate does it a lot better (granted it should) but still....why put the camera if it sucks? I'd rather pay an extra 50 for a better camera (or they could just not earn so damn much per model).

The camera was just market pressure IMO. People saw the prototype (me included) and wanted an iPod with camera. As cameras get better, so will the iPods camera. I think Apple would have introduced it in a generation or two anyway, it seems a little half-baked to me right now though (why the cropped stills?).

The really inexcusable part is the gimped A4. It would make so much sense, especially at the rate 512MB A4s are being produced, to just make all the same chip. To lower costs, they even could've quietly bumped the iPad. The thing about Apple's iOS line is that the most recently released device always had had the newest CPU/GPU combo. The iPhone would get the cool new processor, and typically the iPod touch (with its lower radio part count) would be slightly speed bumped. Apple is really pushing people towards their high end devices now.

Sep 10, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #403 of 451
Just got my MEE M9s that were supposed to beat my Touch here... Initial impressions are very bad. I'm not sure how these get good reviews. They are extremely rolled off, applause sounds thick and heavy instead of quick and crisp. Voices sound distant and thin. The bass is a lot more than I'm used to, but it does seem to be decently defined. We'll see after they burn in, but I'm not liking what I got so far. My Portapros for almost the same money ($25 vs $30) sound infinitely better. On the plus side, however, at least these are comfortable. My first IEMs were Q-Jays and despite their tiny size were very uncomfortable. My left ear canal is considerably smaller than my right so I'm using the smallest silicone single flange on left and the stock double flange on the right.

Anyways in context to the iPod, they are small and handy instead of the Portapros' bulk, which is the reason I got them in the first place. Sound-wise they aren't award winners at any price in my book. Not sure how these got a Sonic Diamond.

Sep 10, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #404 of 451

Quote:
Just got my MEE M9s that were supposed to beat my Touch here... Initial impressions are very bad. I'm not sure how these get good reviews. They are extremely rolled off, applause sounds thick and heavy instead of quick and crisp. Voices sound distant and thin. The bass is a lot more than I'm used to, but it does seem to be decently defined. We'll see after they burn in, but I'm not liking what I got so far. My Portapros for almost the same money ($25 vs $30) sound infinitely better. On the plus side, however, at least these are comfortable. My first IEMs were Q-Jays and despite their tiny size were very uncomfortable. My left ear canal is considerably smaller than my right so I'm using the smallest silicone single flange on left and the stock double flange on the right.

Anyways in context to the iPod, they are small and handy instead of the Portapros' bulk, which is the reason I got them in the first place. Sound-wise they aren't award winners at any price in my book. Not sure how these got a Sonic Diamond.

Perhaps try the balanced bi flanges.  Supposed to tame the bass a bit.  Although i thought they add a lil bass float and slop.  I guess these really do have different drivers than the M6 now because an M6 sounds nothing like that.  M6 is similar bass, crisp highs (sibilant or harsh at times), decent clarity and recessed mids.  They go well w/ EQ.  I could never get into the Portapros for the limited time I had them in my hand at Best Buy.  I didn't like anything about them myself, perhaps I was too hyped up about them.  

Sep 11, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #405 of 451

Quote:
. Apple is really pushing people towards their high end devices now.

I think it might have to do with the growing number of Android devices coming out. I think they want people in and buying the Touches, showing people that they can produce high end portable devices as well; they aren't making a 7 inch so what are they to do? Hype the Touch and try to make it the "next best alternative" for people who don't want something that big. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back