New iPod Family!
Sep 14, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #436 of 451
Agreed iPod Touch 4G is at least as good as my Zune, which is considered one of the better DAPs for sound quality.

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #437 of 451

Quote:
but I wish it had a user EQ AND a very low Ω output for finnicky iems.

I'm probably an idiot when it comes to such things but I've been wondering for a while if it is at all possible for an EQ to become available on the touch via an app.  I don't know how such an app would work with the stock playback functions, or if it would ever get approved for release by apple, but it seems to me, with my lack of computer software/programming knowledge, that it should in theory be possible to design an app that is a 5 band EQ for the touch.  A rockbox app would be cool too, if it was at all possible.  For some reason I suspect this is not possible as it has not been done yet, but it's an idea I've had for a while now.  

Sep 14, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #439 of 451

Quote:

I'm probably an idiot when it comes to such things but I've been wondering for a while if it is at all possible for an EQ to become available on the touch via an app.  I don't know how such an app would work with the stock playback functions, or if it would ever get approved for release by apple, but it seems to me, with my lack of computer software/programming knowledge, that it should in theory be possible to design an app that is a 5 band EQ for the touch.  

It will work only if such an application itself will process music (ie not wit the stock playback functions).

Quote:
A rockbox app would be cool too, if it was at all possible.  For some reason I suspect this is not possible as it has not been done yet, but it's an idea I've had for a while now.  

Recently, work has been done to make rockbox an application (as opposed to firmware running on the bare metal). It is already running on Android, and you can expect that, if there is some developer interested in running rockbox on iOS device, there is not a lot of work to do.

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #440 of 451

Quote:
I'm probably an idiot when it comes to such things but I've been wondering for a while if it is at all possible for an EQ to become available on the touch via an app.  I don't know how such an app would work with the stock playback functions, or if it would ever get approved for release by apple, but it seems to me, with my lack of computer software/programming knowledge, that it should in theory be possible to design an app that is a 5 band EQ for the touch.  A rockbox app would be cool too, if it was at all possible.  For some reason I suspect this is not possible as it has not been done yet, but it's an idea I've had for a while now.  

It wasn't possible before. The EQ is hard coded in as far as anyone can tell. Now, however, the new rules for the App Store approval allow third party apps to both play from the library and process music. They may or may not be able to modify the audio buffer, but they can read it. So there's a chance we'll see an alternative player with EQ (IMO not likely, but there's a chance).

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #441 of 451
Played with the touch, the screen isn't that bad. The black levels aren't great, but good enough for non-video use. 

Sep 17, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #442 of 451

Quote:

there is an EQ app out now that called equalizer that lowers gain and allows you to tweak about 6 different frequencies and apply those settings to songs. The problem now is that it isn't a real player, so you can apply it individually to iPod library songs, but you cannot listen through an EQ setting to your library and everything must be listened through the app.

I've not written my review of it at TMA yet because in its current state, it isn't really ready. The dev said stuff would be done soon. We will see.

Sep 18, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #445 of 451

Quote:
How is it compared to the Sony X series walkman?? I am thinking of buying a new player, because my classic has a very bad sound quality.

I haven't heard  the X-series Walkman either, but if you are used to the SQ of a classic, I think you will be very satisfied with the Cowon S9 or J3... After you recover from the first time user experienced stroke of course!

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #446 of 451

I got to play around with friends 4g touch today for about an hour.  Using tf10 and turbines I compared it against my iphone 4 and Sony X 1051.  Overall vs the Sony X  I think that the touch is on par in sound quality and an overall better player in regards to UI, apps, screen etc.; however the Sony has a much better eq.

Vs. the Sony no eq and volume matched as close as possible, they sound very similar, except that the touch seemed to have a little more presence in the very low bass.  This was only noticeable with the tf10's, using the turbines I didn't notice any difference in the bass quantity. There was also less hiss with the touch(almost non existent) compared to the Sony, which had noticeable hiss present in quiet passages.  

Again these impressions are with only about an hour of use with v2 mp3 files. 
Quote:
How is it compared to the Sony X series walkman?? I am thinking of buying a new player, because my classic has a very bad sound quality.

Sep 19, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #447 of 451
you can match volumes very easily by plugging a stereo mini cable into the HPO of both machines and the other end into you sound card. Use a free app like Audacity to generate a sine wave and record it to both players. Play that file back through both, adjusting volume till you are into about -0,5 dB of difference (which is probably indecipherable).

Quote:
I got to play around with friends 4g touch today for about an hour.  Using tf10 and turbines I compared it against my iphone 4 and Sony X 1051.  Overall vs the Sony X  I think that the touch is on par in sound quality and an overall better player in regards to UI, apps, screen etc.; however the Sony has a much better eq.

Vs. the Sony no eq and volume matched as close as possible, they sound very similar, except that the touch seemed to have a little more presence in the very low bass.  This was only noticeable with the tf10's, using the turbines I didn't notice any difference in the bass quantity. There was also less hiss with the touch(almost non existent) compared to the Sony, which had noticeable hiss present in quiet passages.  

Again these impressions are with only about an hour of use with v2 mp3 files. 

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #448 of 451
Why does everyone care so much about eq?  Buy some better headphones
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 19, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #449 of 451

Quote:
you can match volumes very easily by plugging a stereo mini cable into the HPO of both machines and the other end into you sound card. Use a free app like Audacity to generate a sine wave and record it to both players. Play that file back through both, adjusting volume till you are into about -0,5 dB of difference (which is probably indecipherable).

Thanks for the tip; however I'm a little confused.  If I volume match it the way you describe; then I plug in my headphones, let's say the tf10s; wouldn't the differences between the internal amps(ability to drive x load at y volume) come into play. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back