NEW information on JH-3a
Sep 1, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #1,801 of 2,176

Quote:

I wonder if other suppliers will be compelled to try to match the sonic capabilities of the JH-3A.

Perhaps, but from most reviews and impressions, no other IEM supplier has even truly matched the performance/value of the JH13 or JH16's (not even the higher-priced UE18's) -- so IMHO they first would have to catch up in the IEM department before they could legitimately rival the 3A + 16 combo. 

But it would interesting to see them try, and good for the growth of the market to have some more competition. 

Sep 1, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #1,803 of 2,176

Quote:
i really hope for a confirmed ready date. i'm looking to get the 13s/16s and that amp, but until it's ready..

Just FYI really....

You won't be getting 13's with the 3A.

Sep 1, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #1,804 of 2,176
Quote:
Perhaps, but from most reviews and impressions, no other IEM supplier has even truly matched the performance/value of the JH13 or JH16's

Yes! That is an excellent summary! 
L3000.gif

How embarassing.

Sep 1, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #1,806 of 2,176

Quote:
Warp,

Were you talking about a home stereo reference system or a headphone reference system?

To me, a 50-60% performance achievement of a home stereo reference system is spectacular but not for a headphone reference system.

Am I on an island by myself with my belief?

I am comparing it with the headphone reference system I currently own.  There are some photo albums under my public profile, which list the components.  I also have a BHSE on order, which should arrive by the end of the year (or not, depending on Justin's build schedule).

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #1,808 of 2,176

Quote:
Perhaps, but from most reviews and impressions, no other IEM supplier has even truly matched the performance/value of the JH13 or JH16's

Couldn't be more wrong.

Or at least it would take a lot of effort to be more wrong.

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #1,809 of 2,176
I'd say 70% of the reference system of a guy with both Orpheus and Stax 009 and a load of amps and cables alle worth tens of thousands of dollars (witd a reference rig that probably costs a lot more than 10K) is pretty **** good. ****, I can't wait to hear the JH3A now!

Sep 1, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #1,810 of 2,176

[size=medium]
My initial thought when I saw Warp's comment about a "reference" system was that you could easily spend a bundle just on the source for a a reference headphone system. While I very much appreciate the choices that Warp's made for his reference source, you could easily spend much more just on the source if you wanted to. In fact one of the things I really appreciate about Warp's choices is the value side of the equation. While he spend a good deal of money (assuming list price) he could have spent twice that much and not likely done much better. Hence given the cost variable, JH-3A with a CLAS and quality cables, an isomething and maybe a few extras sounds like one heck of a bargain. 

I don't have an opinion to offer as far as who sits at the top of the heap for custom IEM's but it seemed to me that there are competitors for that spot. I did not see where JH has been anointed as owning the top spot with UE18's and UE Reference and Westone's customs and Starkey's 43's all considered as very worthy competitors to the JH-16's but each with a slightly different sonic signature.  Also if memory serves me, some have rated some of the other custom's as more rugged and I think I even remember there being some comfort options to be considered.

Comfort is likely not to be taken lightly when you consider how much of a limiting factor a lack of reasonable comfort can be. My experience with universal IEM's even at the high end has been that if something is not comfortable enough for you to stand more than an hour today, tomorrow you will feel the same level of discomfort in about 45 minutes and the next day you might be ready to rip the things out of your ears in 30 minutes. If I were to have the same experience with custom's that would be a real let down. I guess the only way to really find out is to plunk down our dollars and see although I am doing everything I can to at least try to scope that out.

All of that said, I don't see myself getting something other than the JH-3A/JH-16 set once it is available. Something might happen to change that but I doubt that something will allow me to purchase an amp independently of the IEM. All by way of saying that I don't think a separate amp and IEM combination stands much of a chance against the JH-3A/JH-16 because the platform itself (Active crossover is the definition that is most applicable I think) would seem to hold so many advantages and hold out so much promise.
[/size]

Sep 1, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #1,811 of 2,176

Quote:
Couldn't be more wrong.

Or at least it would take a lot of effort to be more wrong.

Hey, reread my statement -- I said from "most" reviews and impressions -- I could be wrong, but I've read a fair amount of reviews, both here and elsewhere that proclaim the JH13/16 
to be better than what's offered from UE, Westone, etc. Of course, I'm sure there are some who like the other brands better, but it certainly seems like the JH versions are widely considered "best in class" ... are you saying the general consensus is the opposite? That the other brands are widely considered superior by more audiophiles? 

If so, please send over the links because that hasn't been the impression I've gotten from reading here or any other hi-fi blogs or forums ...

Sep 1, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #1,813 of 2,176

Quote:
I'd say 70% of the reference system of a guy with both Orpheus and Stax 009 and a load of amps and cables alle worth tens of thousands of dollars (witd a reference rig that probably costs a lot more than 10K) is pretty **** good. ****, I can't wait to hear the JH3A now!

Actually, the P-03 transport alone costs more than that even without the UNI upgrade.  The D-03 DAC is similarly expensive.  The P-01  Sky is the limit of what you can spend on these things.  But remember that I've tried to come up with a weighted average for illustration purposes only, judged by my ears.  Although it is safe to say that those friends of mine who had a chance to listen to this reference gear--even without the G-0rb Rubidium master clock upgrade, which is planned for next year--have stated they have never heard anything like it.  One of them is a recording/mastering studio engineer, among other things.

There is a--one of the better--6Moons review for those interested in seeing what makes these high-end sources so friggin' expensive and amazing:  http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/esoteric4/trio.html.  

I don't mean to brag, just to put my previous statement in perspective--afterall, it will take me 2 years to pay off the 401(K) loan I took out investing in these, only put what $2,000-$5,000 buys you for a JH-3A-based rig that gives you about 2/3rd of the overall listening satisfaction...again, by my ears, assuming that you invest in high-quality, reference materials, which is valid for both use cases.

Sep 1, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #1,815 of 2,176

Quote:

And? Still waiting for any evidence that the "consensus" pick of custom IEM's for audiophiles is a company other than JHA. 

Or is it because you guys have so many more posts that I should automatically believe you? :wink:

the best way to come to this conclusion is to either try them all, or do LOTS of research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back