NEW information on JH-3a
Aug 29, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #1,771 of 2,176

Quote:
That in no way negates Jerry Harvey Audios responsibility to (clearly) inform their customers (i.e. updating their website) of any underlying issues. Customers should never have to rely on other customers to be informed.

of course it does not negate that, I agree, but given this sub-market, i was just saying that before I spent 2K on a product, I would do some due dilligence (hello HeadFi!), not just click the "buy now" button on a website, I guess all I'm saying is that HF is a nice site....sorry about my wallet is right...

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #1,773 of 2,176
warp08, since you seem to be the one with the most equipment to compare with, do you think the JH3A is better, purely SQ-wise, than any other combination of audio equipment available at the same amount of money ($2000)? Just curious.

Aug 29, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #1,774 of 2,176

Quote:
warp08, since you seem to be the one with the most equipment to compare with, do you think the JH3A is better, purely SQ-wise, than any other combination of audio equipment available at the same amount of money ($2000)? Just curious.

I'm sure Warp will answer and give his perspective, but I think he has already gone on record (previously on this thread) as saying that it surpasses most of what he's heard (with the exception of maybe Orpheus and Stax009 with lots of other high-end gear) and beats out certain setups in the $5,000-10,000 range. 

Warp also uses a lot of high-end accessories along WITH the 3A including recabling, high-end USB, etc -- of which the CLAS is more on the low end -- so it might also be good to get the opinion of others who have gone a more minimalist route with their 3A. Especially if you're looking to keep your total purchase around $2,000. 

Just the simple transport rig alone is closer to $3,000 --> $1800 (JH3A + JH16's) + $600 CLAS + Recabling ($500) + iPod ($250) + LOD ($100-200) + Coax ($50-100) = $3300-3400 

Of course, the CLAS isn't mandatory. Nor is recabling. There are other options for players as well, including the Fiio that's probably coming out before many of the units finish shipping. 

Still really looking forward to Warp's impressions of the 3A in transport mode with CLAS versus the high-end desktop setup as well :) 

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #1,775 of 2,176

Quote:
I hear ya, I do, and many others most likely do as well, but since we do come to this site, we do know what's going on, and we do research, instead of going to a website and clicking "buy now" and ask questions later; we ask the same questions for hours on end round and round before spending close to 2K on a product, just imo

His customers are only Head-fiers?

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #1,776 of 2,176
I know the total amount of money would be larger than $2000 for a full rig, I was just wondering :) I already ordered the JH3A+JH16 combo (about four months ago I think), but I did not buy it primarely for protability buy because it seemed to simply be the option where I would get the most out of my money. I am planning on buying either a CLAS+IPod+LOD or a Colorfly or Fioo X3+coaxial but I think Im gonna wait with that till I have actually had the JH3a in hand.

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #1,777 of 2,176

Quote:
But I think Im gonna wait with that till I have actually had the JH3a in hand.

That's probably smart. It seemed so close to shipping again recently, but with very little movement over the last month ... I'm a little surprised. 

I hope they are taking their time to ensure it's 100% ready for prime time, with no further delays or revisions going forward. Looking forward to hearing an update this week. 

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #1,778 of 2,176

Quote:
His customers are only Head-fiers?

[size=10pt]You are just trying to be argumentative only and are obviously taking my comments out of context and scope; give me a break; my (what I thought was pretty clear) point is that before anyone spends 2K on anything, they may want to dig a little deeper then just going to the manufactures website and clicking ‘buy now’. It just so happens that HF is one of the sites where if you were researching this particular 2K expenditure you were about to make, a quick Google of ‘JH3A’ in your research would lead you pretty quickly to this thread and HF in general or to their facebook page where they post updates , no? 1 hour of time invested would lead you to expect the delays. So 1 hour of research on a 2K investment does not sound too far out of whack....[/size]

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #1,779 of 2,176
As someone in that exact situation - looking to upgrade my current system I found this site very quickly and learned about the 3a delays - extremely grateful to the knowledge here, my e-mail to JHA from Friday hasn't been acknowledged yet so nothing from them!

I came across the 3a when I was researching some custom IEMs to upgrade from my Shure 530s and to replace my almost 4 year old 120 gig Zune.  Was originally just going to look at some JHA 16 Pros but the idea of the 3a combined with them and a better quality source (no idea what that will be yet) brought me here.

I'm prepared to wait for the 3a but can absolutely understand the frustration of those that have been waiting a year plus for them.  At this point I think that I'm going to wait until some members here receive them and report that they are problem free an up to expectations before dropping a bunch of money on nothing more than empty promises!

Thanks for having me at this great site.

Aug 30, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #1,780 of 2,176
I'm prepared to wait for the 3a but can absolutely understand the frustration of those that have been waiting a year plus for them.  At this point I think that I'm going to wait until some members here receive them and report that they are problem free an up to expectations before dropping a bunch of money on nothing more than empty promises!
-------------------------

I'm waiting until AT LEAST 2012.

I'm perfectly happy to buy v2/3/4 with all of the initial problems (perceived or otherwise) ironed out.

Besides, by then we may have a choice 'if' other manufacturers come up with similar products.

I can't miss what I ain't had.

Aug 30, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #1,781 of 2,176

Quote:
As someone in that exact situation - looking to upgrade my current system I found this site very quickly and learned about the 3a delays - extremely grateful to the knowledge here, my e-mail to JHA from Friday hasn't been acknowledged yet so nothing from them!

I came across the 3a when I was researching some custom IEMs to upgrade from my Shure 530s and to replace my almost 4 year old 120 gig Zune.  Was originally just going to look at some JHA 16 Pros but the idea of the 3a combined with them and a better quality source (no idea what that will be yet) brought me here.

Thanks for having me at this great site.

Thanks for this concrete example of my earlier point;  welcome and sorry about your wallet...enjoy the music!

Aug 30, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #1,782 of 2,176

Quote:

There is no easy answer to that, because of the many variables involved.  Assuming that in both scenarios involving listening to quality recordings/sources (preferably 24/96 PCM or DSD), the overall listening satisfaction factor I can gain from the JH-3A system is probably 60-70% of what reference grade, high-end systems are capable of.  I emphasize the content material/source quality, because the higher end you go, faults and deficiencies of the recordings and source limitations will be revealed and amplified vs. lower rated systems tend to mask these.

The above estimate is a weighted average, which assumes that a customer, who would consider a JH-3A system prefers and is comfortable with wearing IEMs on an extended basis, which a lot of people are not comfortable or capable doing for a variety of reasons.

Given the overall investment involved in owning these high-end reference systems, I think the 60-70% average is remarkable, even if you go for a a tricked out digital source system to feed your JH-3A with a Diverter HR and quality interconnects, which I definitely recommend if it's within your means.  But even on a budget level JH-3A system, this relative score will drop somewhat, though the experience should still be highly satisfying for most people.  I would still recommend opting for the best quality reference recordings available as budget allows.  None of that lossy stuff to ruin the experience.

Aug 30, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #1,783 of 2,176
Even had I been a millionaire, I would not buy the Diverter HR, simply out of principle. $2900 is just way too much than I will pay for such a thing.
I am comfortable with wearing custom IEMS (I have custom molds for my ER-4Ps). But I can see why the question would be hard to answer, so if you have got thew time, would you answer this:
Do you think that the JH3A/JH16 connected directly to laptop via USB outmatches full size headphones as for example the LCD-2+miniwatt or Beyer T1+$1000 amp or similar flagship headphones with appropiate amps? Because I actually does not care about portability at all, only SQ,so if other headphones are better in the same pricerange, I would opt for them instead rather than waiting here :)

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #1,784 of 2,176

Quote:
Thanks for this concrete example of my earlier point; 

1-You presume to know people who spend 'X' amount of money will do research.
2-You seem to think your premise justifies the estimated shipping time posted on their site?  That makes little sense.  You are essentially saying false advertising is justifiable when there is a forum thread about it.
3-You have one 'concrete' example as an examples to the otherwise wouldn't be posting here would they.   

Your post makes it sound as if no case exists where a consumer goes to the 3A site, sees the estimated ship time and places an order w/o somehow ending up at this thread first.  Sorry, that is presumptuous.  

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #1,785 of 2,176
anax is right and it's so annoying how people defend JHA. They are lying and deceiving on their website. There is nothing anyone can say in the whole world that makes false advertising forgivable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back