NEW information on JH-3a
Aug 25, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #1,744 of 2,176
Hahah, just fyi, rich text editor is not compatible with FF7(beta) yet... I'm trying to quote but get text vs html:

Parrots" I phoned JH last tuesday and spoke to Jaime and she said they received the test amp that day but Jerry was out of town and due back Thursday when he will test the amp and if all is well they will contact the manufacturer and tell them to send the rest, I then spoke to them again Friday and she said jerry was working on the amp as we speak so I emailed jerry and got a reply saying he will hopefully test the amp by Monday so I called this tuesday and spoke to some women called angie I belive who said neither Brittany or Jaime are there that day but they received the amps that day which was 'tuesday' and said Jerry was out of town and will be back on Thursday to test the amps."

Parrots, thank you for sharing.

=> two phone calls, an email, and a follow-up phone call? All within a week? And no "clear" information and/or contradictory information after all that effort? Just imagine if everyone made such an effort, i.e,. not a scalable solution.

Again, JHA, maybe if we bang on your skull enough (since you do probably read these forums), just maybe you'll find benefit in being proactive vs your customers having to pull teeth and not really getting anywhere for the effort.

(this message will repeat in 90 seconds...)

Happy day everyone. Off to another San Francisco BART protest with Anonymous...

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #1,745 of 2,176
email from JH today!!!

Dear 3A Customers,

We had the revised Amp in the office yesterday and the noise floor is completely gone with the new changes that Jerry made. The only thing left to do is have the gain adjusted so that the volume levels are the same for the digital versus analog inputs.  This should be a relatively easy fix and we are hoping that it will be the last thing we need to adjust to make this project complete.

At this time if anyone would like a refund for the JH3A please let us know. We are happy to refund anyone that does not want to wait for this amazing piece of technology.

Thank you for your patience and your understanding.

Brittany Harvey
Owner
JH Audio

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #1,746 of 2,176
I don't understand how they can say that they have the noise floor issue fixed, if the gain issue is also not fixed. By raising the gain, aren't we re-introducing the possibility for noise?

Was it that the analog input gain was lower than the digital? If so, personally, I wouldn't care and would wish that they just let us opt in for the amp in its present state.

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #1,747 of 2,176

Quote:
I don't understand how they can say that they have the noise floor issue fixed, if the gain issue is also not fixed. By raising the gain, aren't we re-introducing the possibility for noise?

Was it that the analog input gain was lower than the digital? If so, personally, I wouldn't care and would wish that they just let us opt in for the amp in its present state.

I agree, I don't care for the analog input feature either.  If you buy the JH-3A you'll want to run it from a digital source to get the best performance.  By opting for the JH-3A, it is assumed the customer is interested in that.  

Yes, the analog input gain level is far lower than either the USB or SPDIF, so equalizing it is a good thing for those who opt using it.

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #1,748 of 2,176
Aug 25, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #1,749 of 2,176

Quote:
email from JH today!!!

Dear 3A Customers,

We had the revised Amp in the office yesterday and the noise floor is completely gone with the new changes that Jerry made. The only thing left to do is have the gain adjusted so that the volume levels are the same for the digital versus analog inputs.  This should be a relatively easy fix and we are hoping that it will be the last thing we need to adjust to make this project complete.

At this time if anyone would like a refund for the JH3A please let us know. We are happy to refund anyone that does not want to wait for this amazing piece of technology.

Thank you for your patience and your understanding.

Brittany Harvey
Owner
JH Audio

Quote:

Does saying that the gain will be adjusted necessarily imply that it will be raised? Yet another delay but this sounds like progress to me.

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #1,750 of 2,176

Quote:
I agree, I don't care for the analog input feature either.  If you buy the JH-3A you'll want to run it from a digital source to get the best performance.  By opting for the JH-3A, it is assumed the customer is interested in that.  

The only reason I would want a JH-3A is for the crossovers - far more advanced than the basic RC networks inside all IEM's, and WAY less phase shift on a digital crossover. 

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #1,751 of 2,176
The gain that was lowered was at the output stage and after lowering it the analog input volume became too low. So the analog input needed to have the input gain reworked so the digital input and analog inputs would be more closely aligned.

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #1,752 of 2,176

Quote:
The only reason I would want a JH-3A is for the crossovers - far more advanced than the basic RC networks inside all IEM's, and WAY less phase shift on a digital crossover. 

Yes, separating the frequency bands within the digital domain, instead of relying on analog filters is a major advantage. Another is having three discreet opamps driving each BA driver cluster.  The difference is quite noticeable when compared to the legacy JH16/JH13 Pros...which are very good designs.  With the bass booster at 0, the SQ resembles the JH13 Pro baseline to my ears, which is sometimes a good thing, depending on the quality of the recording. 

Aug 25, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #1,753 of 2,176
I for one will be using the 3A primarily with the analogue input via ipod lod.
I simply dont have the resources, nor the particular desire to buy a CLAS at this time and this unit will most likely be my mostly portable setup so i'm inclined to keep it as small as possible

I am going to wait until the fiio X3 comes out, as it will feature a digital coax (mini plug) out .  I will try that first.  If it does well then all i will need to carry is the x3 and the 3a, as opposed to - ipod/clas/3a.

If the CLAS could be used as a standalone dac, i would certainly be much more willing to purchase it, but paying $500 just for the digital pass through, and added bulk.. i'm hesitant even though its clearly made its mark as a major improvement.

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #1,754 of 2,176
popcorn.gif
 Hey John, I know you too well to call you a shill, but have you ever thought of becoming the company's spokesman and information P.R. guy.
smile.gif
 because most of your posts have been in defense of JHA, no kidding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back