NEW information on JH-3a
Jul 18, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #1,411 of 2,176

Quote:

Cool, thanks.  I have assumed that to be the case, but I want to hear it personally before I send mine back in a few weeks.  I'm in no big rush.

I'm in no rush either and honestly that is the only thing I can complain about with this thing. I reached out to Jerry today and he told me they are still working on the new file for the amp gain. He said he is waiting from the factory but will let me know when it is ready. I will send my amp in as soon as it is ready. Would be really nice if we could flash from home.

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #1,412 of 2,176
I'm in no rush either and honestly that is the only thing I can complain about with this thing. I reached out to Jerry today and he told me they are still working on the new file for the amp gain. He said he is waiting from the factory but will let me know when it is ready. I will send my amp in as soon as it is ready. Would be really nice if we could flash from home.

Yes. Another two weeks+ of waiting until they ship again... :)

Didn't they say it could be flashed by the user at home a while back?

Jul 18, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #1,413 of 2,176

Quote:
Yes. Another two weeks+ of waiting until they ship again...
smily_headphones1.gif

Didn't they say it could be flashed by the user at home a while back?

For common parameters it should be possible, provided they wrote a utility to reflash the EEPROM or whatever permanent storage media the DSP uses.  I recall the original conversation specifically mentioning "presets" for different environmental settings that could be set by an iOS app or something like that.  It would be cool, although not sure how the final design had changed from the original and whether this is still a technically feasible option at a justifiable cost to develop, test, release and support on an ongoing basis.

Whatever the delay may be to finalize the gain structure, I think you'd rather have a fully debugged and optimized unit the first time around, instead of having to ship the system back to JHA.

I have received 2 of the 3 SPIDF BlackFrost SPDIF cables I've ordered.  I'll take some pictures of the system once my Diverter HR shows up, hopefully by the end of the week or early next week so I can finally test 24/96 material on the JH-3A.  Hopefully, by that time the new firmware will be available and all should be well.

Jul 18, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #1,414 of 2,176
As I mentioned some pages back, Jerry has recently confirmed for me over the phone that there will be no re-flashing of these chips. Once the binary is burned to the chip, a new one is needed if the data is to be changed. Jerry said it was just a socket, though, so it's easy enough for JHA to do.

Add it to the list of stuff that changed since the initial design.

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #1,415 of 2,176
My hearing is just fine.

Anyone is more than welcome to plug there JH-3A IEMs into mine and have a listen.

Quote:

This means one of three things:

1) The units with the hiss are defective
2) They changed programming recently which I don't think since I spoke with Jerry recently and there was no indication this had been solved.
3) Roy's hearing is not as sensitive for the hiss which many of us hear.

Now to figure out what the answer is.

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #1,416 of 2,176
So, theoretically we could pull out the (old) socketed chip, plug in the new one and flash it ourselves? (Assuming JHA would send us a new chip)

Quote:
As I mentioned some pages back, Jerry has recently confirmed for me over the phone that there will be no re-flashing of these chips. Once the binary is burned to the chip, a new one is needed if the data is to be changed. Jerry said it was just a socket, though, so it's easy enough for JHA to do.

Add it to the list of stuff that changed since the initial design.

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #1,417 of 2,176
I'm with cooperpwc on this one. There has been little to no discussion on the quality of the amp/3 amps. Can anyone with any knowledge and/or experience with the amps chime in?

Quote:

[size=10pt]This leads to the next point. We have hundreds of threads on here comparing designs of portable amps, and those amps vary greatly in quality and sound signature - not just between manufacturers but also, to give the example of RSA, between models. The JH-3A has three amplifiers. Somehow it's just a given that the concept of active cross-overs is so important and revolutionary that the amplifiers don't even deserve discussion. I suggest that a DSP using the iBasso T3 amplifier circuitry and a DSP using the Pico Slim amplifier circuitry would be very different products. (And the T3 is still a better than average amp IMHO.) So who is this world-leading but unidentified amp manufacturer that is going to shatter the quality barrier with this new product? Or is active cross-overs all that matters? It doesn't make any sense.[/size]

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #1,418 of 2,176
woodcans, that's probably because nobody but JHA knows what's under there. We could try a teardown, but to my knowledge, nobody has.

but to the listener, the fact that you have 3 of them at once with the rest of the design in general sure seem to make up for whatever quality of the electronics...

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #1,419 of 2,176
Agreed, but as an unfortunate perfectionist, I had to ask.

Quote:
woodcans, that's probably because nobody but JHA knows what's under there. We could try a teardown, but to my knowledge, nobody has.

but to the listener, the fact that you have 3 of them at once, and the rest of the design in general sure seem to make up for whatever quality of the electronics...

Jul 19, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #1,420 of 2,176

Quote:
I'm with cooperpwc on this one. There has been little to no discussion on the quality of the amp/3 amps. Can anyone with any knowledge and/or experience with the amps chime in?

Absolutely, anyone for a preliminary review?? Please??

Jul 19, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #1,423 of 2,176
I recieved my unit (#15).

The hiss noise is always there, but may only notice in silent scene.
Pop noise is very big. I thought whether my eardrum ruptured when I used it for the first time.

A range of the contact of the TRSS plug is small and a noise comes when the plug contacts with bass knob.

I tested...
ipod classic -> Twag/dock to USB cable (DIY) -> solo -> SPIDF cable/oyaide FTVS-510 (DIY) -> JH-3A -> stock cable -> JH16pro

Jul 19, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #1,424 of 2,176
I called yesterday, and JHA said that shipping has stopped while they wait for a new amp from China which needs to be validated, to be sure the whine and gain issues have been addressed. They said an official update was supposed to be posted here shortly.

Quote:
So has shipping stopped again while they work on the gain structure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back