NEW information on JH-3a
Jul 17, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #1,396 of 2,176

Quote:
I think the biggest risk they run is that someone else shows up with a product that is competitive to the 3a combo, but offers better customer service... 

Someone like Matt Macbeth teamed up with a venture capitalist and/or another custom IEM manufacturer perhaps 
very_evil_smiley.gif

It will be interesting to see how all this drama turns out in the end.

Jul 17, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #1,398 of 2,176

Quote:

This has been done before with speakers but not with IEMs using DSP and software which is a lot more complex. Every time you deal with software you always have to ask yourself how do I provide fixes/updates? Do my customers have to send the product back or can I provide a way for them to upgrade the software themselves?

ive wondered why they didnt team up with some maufacturers already in the fields they needed. like they shoulda worked with DEQX from australia for the DSP, and they should teamed up with like Meier or iBasso or someone for the amp portion and to get it all put together, rather than going to one random OEM(i dont know who, nor have they said) to have them do all of it themselves. spreading it out amongst groups already at the forfront of each technology may have cost a bit more, but im sure the product would have come out significatly better and with less problems, and even in less time.

Quote:

Someone like Matt Macbeth teamed up with a venture capitalist and/or another custom IEM manufacturer perhaps 
very_evil_smiley.gif

It will be interesting to see how all this drama turns out in the end.

im still interested in what actually happened between JH and Matt. But alas we may never find out.

i too think it would be great for prices and technology if another company started to make a similar product, maybe someone like westone who has a bit more money to play with. it would definitely push other parties to compete and competition always benefits the users

Jul 17, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #1,399 of 2,176

Quote:
ive wondered why they didnt team up with some maufacturers already in the fields they needed. like they shoulda worked with DEQX from australia for the DSP, and they should teamed up with like Meier or iBasso or someone for the amp portion and to get it all put together, rather than going to one random OEM(i dont know who, nor have they said) to have them do all of it themselves. spreading it out amongst groups already at the forfront of each technology may have cost a bit more, but im sure the product would have come out significatly better and with less problems, and even in less time.

im still interested in what actually happened between JH and Matt. But alas we may never find out.

i too think it would be great for prices and technology if another company started to make a similar product, maybe someone like westone who has a bit more money to play with. it would definitely push other parties to compete and competition always benefits the users

Software is very expensive to develop. I used to work for this telecom. The DSP/hardware team had 7 engineers, 4 to develop the hardware and 3 to program the DSP.. I don't know how many hardware/software engineers JHA has. Now you also have to buy hardware test equipment and software development equipment and software development tools. Let's say you go to a 3rd party for software development. Easily they can cost hmmm $100/USD per hour?

But then our budget to develop the product was in the hundreds of thousands if not more.

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #1,400 of 2,176

Looking at the enormous ego's at JH i wonder if Matt was all the bad guy they made him out to be..

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #1,403 of 2,176
Do these knob settings apply to all 3 input types (USB digital, SPDIF digital, TRS analog) or just USB digital?  I think that would be an important distinction to convey.  Your status mirrors mine at this point, but I'm still waiting for my Diverter HR to arrive later this week (hopefully) to test the gain structure from the SPDIF input.  If there is no hiss there, I won't care about USB, because I will never use it anyway (except for charging the thing).

Quote:
Just a little update of where I am... This page is headed back with my 3A in short time.

With the lesser hiss, I can tell a bit better just how nice the unit sounds now, but I'm still having to listen real loud in order to drown out the hiss. (It's still bad enough that if *loud* music doesn't include (mask) the high pitched frequencies, I can still hear the hiss clear through.)

Here's to hoping the third time is a charm
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Weird that Head-Fi isn't showing the full quality that I uploaded. Try right-clicking and "open link in new" tab or window for more quality.

Does anyone disagree with or have any comments regarding my "idea" of the needed range on the volume knob?

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #1,404 of 2,176
I did notice later that the volume knob action on the analog input appears to be fine, and I did add that note to my little explanatory page.

I don't have an appropriate specialty coaxial cable yet, so I couldn't test that.

The unit is on the way back to JHA as of this morning.

Sucks I'm out an extra $50+ for all the shipping and impressions. (For JHA's mistakes.)

Jul 18, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #1,405 of 2,176
One thing to be wary of and JH needs to be aware of is music has a HUGE range of mastering volumes. Most modern music is mastered at peak/clipping with 6-8 db dynamic range but older jazz and classical will have peaks 3 db under clipping and a 14 or sometimes greater db dynamic range. Set the starting point too low and your ok for modern rock and pop but could be lacking for classical or jazz

Jul 18, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #1,406 of 2,176
Also this thread has meandered wildly from it's original intent. While I've let a fair amount of it go issues related to JH service needs to go in the JH service thread. Let's keep the conversation on topic related to the 3a development, news and sound impressions.

Jul 18, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #1,407 of 2,176

Quote:
I should have just asked RYDMOTO in the thread, but I'm sure he doesn't mind my sharing here. His answer excites me greatly!

I asked,

Quote:
Hi!

I'm just wondering if you could elaborate a tiny bit on "dead silent" ...

With nothing plugged into the 3A but the headphones and the power on, you're saying you cannot hear any hiss?

How about if you close your eyes and unplug/replug the headphones? Can you detect the hiss then?

Either way, though, your experience is very encouraging. "Dead silent" by anyone's standard should be pretty quiet.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!!

Adam

To which he replied,

Quote:
Hi Adam,

Even before your suggestion I tried to create hiss.

I hear non whatsoever.

I do hear hiss on poorly recorded music so I do know what to listen for.

Roy

Your question is a reasonable one.

Exactly what I wanted to hear! Thank you, Roy!

This means one of three things:

1) The units with the hiss are defective
2) They changed programming recently which I don't think since I spoke with Jerry recently and there was no indication this had been solved.
3) Roy's hearing is not as sensitive for the hiss which many of us hear.

Now to figure out what the answer is.

Jul 18, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #1,408 of 2,176

Quote:
Do these knob settings apply to all 3 input types (USB digital, SPDIF digital, TRS analog) or just USB digital?  I think that would be an important distinction to convey.  Your status mirrors mine at this point, but I'm still waiting for my Diverter HR to arrive later this week (hopefully) to test the gain structure from the SPDIF input.  If there is no hiss there, I won't care about USB, because I will never use it anyway (except for charging the thing).

I have tested both the USB and SPDIF inputs and the hiss is there regardless. The SPDIF is with a Wavelink HS and black dragon cable from Moon Audio.

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #1,409 of 2,176

Quote:
Also this thread has meandered wildly from it's original intent. While I've let a fair amount of it go issues related to JH service needs to go in the JH service thread. Let's keep the conversation on topic related to the 3a development, news and sound impressions.

Agreed.  Now that the product is out for public consumption let the thread focus on bugs, impressions and what not.  Please move the discussion of customer service to this thread.  I think it would benefit everyone involved with or considering JHA better.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/558629/jha-consumer-experience-thread-positive-yes-negative-no

Users who are viewing this thread

Back