NEW information on JH-3a
Oct 11, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #2,056 of 2,176
If I understand Jerry's email to Thread, there will be 3 passiv crossovers in ear piece, each getting full-range signal from one of three amps and then each crossover just cut out unused zone? So high driver's crossover get full range signal and just cut of anythying bellow, lets say 7 KHz? 

Now, it seems there is no more DSP(since everything is made in ear pieces), so no need to use built in dac, because it  doesnt bring any benefit. Then, why dont just sell it as amp for 50% of original price?

EDIT: My wrong, it still must use DSP for EQ and time delay.

I also hate idea that after year of waiting, I will have to pay more to them just for some adaptor.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 11, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #2,057 of 2,176
Maybe it is so that the new amp has no DAC. Or it is just the same amp as before with new earpice with passive crossovers that really is not needed but is there to get around the patent problem. Cause the new amp still has a DAC according to the update...
  1. "The analog input has been increased so the gain is closer to gain of the the digital input."

Why has the amp still got a digital input if it is not using DSP? It makes no sense to me! I think adding passive crossovers after an already perfect splitted signal should not destroy to much if they are not to narrow, they just does not have so much "sound" to filter I guess? :)

Oct 11, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #2,058 of 2,176
If I am right about this, it will be shown if the ones here that already have have got there amp can listen to the new amp with there "old" earpices. I would not send the old 3A earpices back because they might be the only ones that slipped the patent.The old earpieces may sound better because they don't have the resistance of the (maybe) unnessesary crossover wich (maybe) are only there to get around the patent. But the crossover still serves for a optional 3.5 mm usage :)

Oct 11, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #2,060 of 2,176
This is part of a post i posted in the first 3A thread back in MARCH!

guess my inklings were correct:

It's even more bewildering to me that JH audio seems to be known for such great customer service, and that aside from this project, they seem to be continuing that trend.  Its like this whole project has a black cloud hanging over it for some reason and that the reps at JH are afraid of it.    I have no idea what the bottom line is in that regard, but something just seems "off"  I honestly dont think they are lying to us and maybe thats just my naivete here, but for some reason they are afraid to communicate openly/fully with us.  If you watch their facebook page you see this demonstrated.  question after question and nearly every one is answered within an hour or 2, but EVERY time there is a jh3a question... hours, hours, maybe even days go by..   they know its there...

I dont really know what im getting at here, This is less of a complaint and more of me trying to figure out what is causative to their behavior around this release. It just isnt feeling right to me.    Its almost like they know they did something dishonest, or wrong, or made some kind of mistake somewhere early on, or maybe its guilt or shame or fear from losing the DSP programmer, or maybe the money really is tight, or nerves, or who knows what... but ever since that initial "something" they have been unable see clearly about this project and the way they are handling it.    On the subject of people thinking a lack of money in their company is the issue.. i would just speculate this.. simultaneous to the JH3A production they have moved and expanded their facilities, and completely revamped their website.. both potentially very expensive ventures....a struggling company just cant do this.  At least not in my opinion.

well, take this for what you will.  I realize im just speculating here, but It helps me to say SOMETHING after all this patient waiting.

Oct 11, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #2,061 of 2,176
Seems like since January they have been trying to change the JH3A enough to avoid patent infringement, but still deliver a device capable of the same technical feats.

Oct 11, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #2,062 of 2,176
Jeez patent law is funny, just because it is driving a headphone, a system (active crossover) that is common in a high end hifi, infringes on a patent.

So if JH were to market it as an active crossover 'pre-amp' with phase correction of each output channel designed to drive a multi channel power amp and also sell an iem that has a removable crossover module would that get around this patent. 

Sad really, I just hope UE does not just sit on this patent.

Although I still think there will be a significant improvement even with passive tri-amping over using a single amp. 

Oct 11, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #2,063 of 2,176
Oh, no. I've been lurking in this thread for some time, hoping the JH3A would have an active crossover in front of the amplification. But it looks like that isn't going to happen. Sad, because I love the concept and invested in speakers that do this. Too bad UE won't license the tech reasonably. Hopefully, UE will put out a system using it.

Though it makes my decision a little easier. I had been waiting to see how the JH3A turned out to decide whether I wanted that or just a standard JH13. I think I'll be going for the standard JH13. It sounds terrific and I really enjoyed meeting Jerry and his crew. Given how many love the JH13, I think I'll be happy with it.

Oct 11, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #2,064 of 2,176
This is very very sad. I don't really understand the technicalities of JH3A, and I'm trying to learn it through this thread. I didn't really understand Jerry's jargon, but I was really looking forward to my unit. I wonder how much it really changes the sound quality , since no one has really yet to hear the revised version.
According to Jerry, the old and new units don't sound any different, and we can't testify this. Is it possible we're too caught up with the technicals and not allowing for the revised version a chance before we even hear it?

I'm looking to cancel my unit/order as well based on the doomed outlook everyone seem to have for this ! :frowning2:

Oct 11, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #2,065 of 2,176
Quote:
[...] instead what we got was.... what? [...]

You got free hoodies!
cool.gif

Correction: You got one free hoodie... if you got on-board the crazy train early enough.

Oct 11, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #2,066 of 2,176
Yep, patent issued to UE in January:
http://assignments.uspto.gov/assignments/q?db=pat&pub=20060193481

And for those who wanted to read the whole thing:
http://www.google.com/patents/download/11_413_841_Active_crossover_for_use_with.pdf?id=-FCYAAAAEBAJ&output=PDF

On paper at least, the new design sounds to a step backward, but I very much hope whatever materializes in the next couple of weeks exceeds expectations! Would love to improve on my already outstanding JH13s...

Oct 11, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #2,067 of 2,176
As a complete noob who only learned of the 3a in the last couple of months when researching custom IEMs, I'm prepared to wait and see what the reaction is to the actual sound at RMAF.  I can consider myself immune to all of the frustrations as I haven't been directly impacted by it, and as someone who cares passionately about sound quality and nothing else, if it delivers the sound that was promised I really don't care how it achieves that.

I suspect that some of the lack of communication this year may have been lawyer driven as Jerry tried to negotiate with UE to license the patent, and I can imagine the frustration he must feel about not being able to use his invention in his product.

I have no previous experience with JHA, and while my image of them as a company is obviously clouded somewhat by the way that things have gone for many people here and the horror stories around pre-ordes and broken promises, if the product delivers as advertised then I'll get in line to buy it, active, passive or whatever.  If it doesn't, then I'll look for a combination that does.

Oct 11, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #2,068 of 2,176

Quote:
If I understand Jerry's email to Thread, there will be 3 passiv crossovers in ear piece, each getting full-range signal from one of three amps and then each crossover just cut out unused zone? So high driver's crossover get full range signal and just cut of anythying bellow, lets say 7 KHz? 

Now, it seems there is no more DSP(since everything is made in ear pieces), so no need to use built in dac, because it  doesnt bring any benefit. Then, why dont just sell it as amp for 50% of original price?

EDIT: My wrong, it still must use DSP for EQ and time delay.

I also hate idea that after year of waiting, I will have to pay more to them just for some adaptor.

@Bina, This is the impression I got aswell. Still an advanced, albiet convoluted design that should hopeully be as impressive as the 1st version which I've been listening to for 2 months now. In fact, considering the noise floor & gain issues, I should hope it out performs the v1 noticeably.
I will be keenly awaiting the reviews from the upcoming canjam as I'm sure many are. If it doesn't review as an equally impressive product - as Jerry promises - I will be forced to withdraw. What a shame.
Regardless, fingers crossed. I'm betting on Jerry 1 last time for 1 more week - I can deal with that.

Quote:
If I am right about this, it will be shown if the ones here that already have have got there amp can listen to the new amp with there "old" earpices. I would not send the old 3A earpices back because they might be the only ones that slipped the patent.The old earpieces may sound better because they don't have the resistance of the (maybe) unnessesary crossover wich (maybe) are only there to get around the patent. But the crossover still serves for a optional 3.5 mm usage :)

I think your a little off track here.

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #2,069 of 2,176
All, 

I have received the following clarification below from Jerry Harvey to my response concerning yesterday's "surprise" announcement, which I will not repeat here.  I am posting this, although it echoes some of the earlier comments others have posted how the redesign supposed to work now.  I have also received several PMs asking for my opinion on this, which is understandable.

I am not--and never claimed to be--an EE major and have only a high-level understanding of how these things work.  I can and have provided comparative listening impressions to the best of my ability.  I do not know how the new version will perform--even though Jerry believes it will be comparable to the original design--but at this point I will reserve judgment until I have personally done the following at the show:

• Compare the new version with the current one I have in my possession and love (minus the gain issue) 
  • Compare the new version with the latest version of the HM-801+Balanced Opamp using a JH16 Pro balanced Eclipse TRRS cable using native 24/96 FLACs

If the new setup is comparable in the area of providing the elusive "depth" aspect of sound imaging as the active crossover design I have now, I'll be happy, although the fact is that I now have to use some kind of adapter for my expensive Whiplash Eclipse crossover cable is definitely a minus from an overall SQ standpoint.  If this is not the case, I may have a difficult choice to make.  In any case, I will let you all know my impressions, for what they are worth.

[size=medium]  
Quote:

[size=medium] The results are the same and you still need the cables that you have purchased.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] The three amps still drive their perspective crossovered component. The only difference is the high passes and low passes ( same shape and slope) are in the earpiece. Each amp still drives a low,mid or high.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] The time align and equalization are still done in the dsp per amp. So I can change the audio signature to any shape and correct the phase of the xover point.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] The concept is just an inverse approach. A true active xover is divided before the amps. The 3 full range amps drive the passively crossover component or band. Hence the xover is post amps.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] So just by using an adapter to bond each leg of the crossover you have a full passive earpiece just with no time correction or optimized EQ.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] I hope this helps clarify the approach,[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Jerry

Jerry Harvey
Owner/ Artist Relations
JH Audio 
[/size]

[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back