New iMod for the iPod 5G: A Red Wine Audio/ALO Collaboration
May 28, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #376 of 456
We tested a bunch of Kens cables at our meet this weekend- cryo X is the best sounding- ie most open- but the differences in high end cables are more subtle than other components (IMO). I've also had the cotton (the old one) and cryo- cotton sounds a little fuller than the cryo. Cryo also probably sounds a little warmer, but it has been a while since I had both.

I also tested the gold and remastered cotton this weekend but I don't know if they were burned in. Also, in hindsight, for a time I think I was confused by which was which. I'm pretty sure the gold sounded warmer and a little more congested than the silver cables, for what it's worth.

I opted for the Cryo X, but, then again, common sense rarely plays a role in my purchases
biggrin.gif
. At worst, Kens cables sound great, so you really can't go too wrong.

May 29, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #377 of 456
The female-to-female adapter is a good idea for use in the car. I didn't think of this solution because I guess it was too simple. Indeed, my car stereo is hardly "high-fi", but I would still like to be able to gain from the added clarity the iMod provides. Thanks for the help, CK

May 29, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #378 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The female-to-female adapter is a good idea for use in the car. I didn't think of this solution because I guess it was too simple. Indeed, my car stereo is hardly "high-fi", but I would still like to be able to gain from the added clarity the iMod provides. Thanks for the help, CK

As long as the mini cable you use with the female-female coupler is good quality, you shouldnt lose much that the iMod provides. Shure its not as good as having a pure long cable from ALO, but you wont be sacrificing that much in a mid-fi system.

Think about it like this, take a £2000 home hi-fi setup, and cable it with reasonable quality not too expensive cabling (NOT super cheap tinny cabling, this female coupler I showed you is actually good quality from the looks of things...screened and can get gold plated). Then get a £100 home hi-fi and cable it with £500 cables.......you catch my drift
tongue.gif

May 29, 2007 at 11:14 AM Post #379 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The female-to-female adapter is a good idea for use in the car. I didn't think of this solution because I guess it was too simple. Indeed, my car stereo is hardly "high-fi", but I would still like to be able to gain from the added clarity the iMod provides...

Yes, but that doesn't solve the problem for those of us with "integration" devices that plug into the dock of the ipod and then treat the ipod as a CD changer through the factory radio system...the convenience here is that you get to control tracks through the radio controls, etc., plus charging.

May 29, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #380 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by AngusMcToon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but that doesn't solve the problem for those of us with "integration" devices that plug into the dock of the ipod and then treat the ipod as a CD changer through the factory radio system...the convenience here is that you get to control tracks through the radio controls, etc., plus charging.

This functionality is also not supported by the 4G iMod, so there is no loss of functionality here with the 5G iMod.

May 29, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #381 of 456
Quote:

If this is a concern all you have to do is provide decopeling caps before
the input your amplifying device and you should be able to use a car dock.
The custom cables while slick and probably a good value doesn't seem to
do anything fancy and I'm sure that with some clever diy, one could come
up with an appropriate adaptor that enable the use of any variety of cables
and capacitor combinations. Unfortunately keeping the small profile and size
of the custom cables may not be possible unless you install the cap inside
your amp at the input.

May 29, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #382 of 456
Hi Ken,
Which new 5G iMod cable dock you suggest if someone want airy smooth, warm and relax fullboddied sound. BTW iam realy looking forward if you describe the sound signature of each 5G iMod cable on your website(could be more easier for buyers to decide).

May 29, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #384 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by PouncePony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given a good quality amp, what level of earphones/headphones do you feel are necessary to fully appreciate the IMod?

I have a RSA Tomahawk with UM1s and Grado SR80s.

-Pony

My e500s sound great with my iMod.
etysmile.gif

May 30, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #385 of 456
Just got a message from ALO my 5GEN IMOD Cables are being shipped next day!

I got a Jumbo Cryo for the portable rig & a Cryo X Silver 20" to right angle switchcrafts for the home set-up

Vinnie will Have my 5.5Gen 30GiG IMOD for me on FRIDAY!!!

It may be the first one in public circulation!
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

A full review to follow in the source threads! soon!

May 30, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #386 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got a message from ALO my 5GEN IMOD Cables are being shipped next day!

I got a Jumbo Cryo for the portable rig & a Cryo X Silver 20" to right angle switchcrafts for the home set-up

Vinnie will Have my 5.5Gen 30GiG IMOD for me on FRIDAY!!!

It may be the first one in public circulation!
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

A full review to follow in the source threads! soon!

Congrats!! I should have mine next week. Impressions and comparisons to 4g imods will most likely be in the Florida Tampa meet thread.

May 30, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #387 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats!! I should have mine next week. Impressions and comparisons to 4g imods will most likely be in the Florida Tampa meet thread.

I have never heard an IMOD so I am greatly looking forward to it!

What cable did you order?

May 30, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #388 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If this is a concern all you have to do is provide decopeling caps before
the input your amplifying device and you should be able to use a car dock.
The custom cables while slick and probably a good value doesn't seem to
do anything fancy and I'm sure that with some clever diy, one could come
up with an appropriate adaptor that enable the use of any variety of cables
and capacitor combinations. Unfortunately keeping the small profile and size
of the custom cables may not be possible unless you install the cap inside
your amp at the input.

Ken will eventually have cables with an ac adapter option! If this is a big concern

May 30, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #389 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never heard an IMOD so I am greatly looking forward to it!

What cable did you order?

You'll love it. I had the 4g imod, but it got stolen a couple weeks ago (I stupidly left it out for more than a few days at work...and I work at a school...stoooopid), and I can't imagine not having one. I actually sent in another 4g ipod photo to Vinnie to get modded two days before the announcement came out. Fortunately, he hadn't started it yet before I was able to switch up. I'll be selling that 60gig 4g when it returns to me so if anyone's interested, keep a look out in the FS forum next week.

I got the 18 gauge Cryo X Silver Super dock cable. I'm looking at what you said you got and am wondering if you got the right cables for the 5/5.5g imods.

May 30, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #390 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll love it. I had the 4g imod, but it got stolen a couple weeks ago (I stupidly left it out for more than a few days at work...and I work at a school...stoooopid), and I can't imagine not having one. I actually sent in another 4g ipod photo to Vinnie to get modded two days before the announcement came out. Fortunately, he hadn't started it yet before I was able to switch up. I'll be selling that 60gig 4g when it returns to me so if anyone's interested, keep a look out in the FS forum next week.

I got the 18 gauge Cryo X Silver Super dock cable. I'm looking at what you said you got and am wondering if you got the right cables for the 5/5.5g imods.

I special ordered!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back