New iMod for the iPod 5G: A Red Wine Audio/ALO Collaboration
May 27, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #361 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ken the only 2 left refurbished unit are which generation? What is the source for your comparison?

cpk,

4G iModded 60GB Photo Apple Factory Referbed (looks just like a new one).

kb

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
May 27, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #362 of 456
Quote:

Ken what do you feel made the 5g sonically better than the 4g? Was it the dac or the cardas wire? Do you feel there is any mods that could be done on the current 4g imod that would enchance it now that you and Vinnie are advancing in your technology?

Hard to say but I am certain the new wire is better. The 4G is still quite nice, its cheaper, the dock is unaltered so you can charge while playing etc... Improvements? Nothing less a good mini cable.

kb

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 28, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #363 of 456
Well I am still burning in my new 4g imod and I pulled the trigger anyway. I'm quite confident the sound quality will be close, perhaps better, but I have always preferred locking docks to mini to mini cables (to this point, a necessary imod evil). I also like the idea that I could buy a cryo x cable and use it for the imod and the forthcoming (fingers crossed) Nano mod. Of course I'll probably buy the smaller dock cable for the Nano mod anyway, but that, along with black, lossless, and the size of the 5g was enough to rationalize myself into this. An excellent condition 4g will be going up for sale when it arrives
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #365 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may have missed it in this enormous thread, but is the rumor about possibly increasing the memory on this 5Gen truth or myth? I heard 120 GB.

Both Samsung and Seagate have announced they will be manufacturing 120GB 1.8" HDs. When they will actually come out, and be available is still in the air. We are all waiting patiently.

May 28, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #367 of 456
Quote from #332
"the new internal wire for all 5G/5.5G iMods (it is a special-made wire by Cardas..."

If the 4G iPods use the same special wire and going through the same modification as the 5g/5.5G iMods, will they become MegaIMods?

I've been told that the DAC of the 4G iPod is the best among the iPod family. Is this still true?

Also, are there any reasons why the 5G/5.5G iMods should sound better than the 4G iMods? I know the principle of the 4G iMods and have enjoyed mine very much. Would like to know more before pulling the trigger again.

May 28, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #368 of 456
Quote:

Ken thanks for all the info. What type of amp and speaker or headphone are you using to make the comparisons?

Thanks Joe

Hey Joe,

5G iMod --> RSA Hornet / TTVJ Portable Millett Hybrid / SinglePower PPX3 DARED MP5 --> Grado RS1, ATH900LTD and Various Modified Grados.

The AudioTechnicas sound fantastic with the 5G and Millett, personal prefrence.

By the way someone was asking about the battery life, I am happy to report it is excellent. I had mine playing since 11 am and its 9mp now so 10 hours so far and still going.

kb

May 28, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #369 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way someone was asking about the battery life, I am happy to report it is excellent. I had mine playing since 11 am and its 9mp now so 10 hours so far and still going.

kb

Ken...

So I have ipod docking playback docks in my cars, and you know, that's a nice feature of both car and player. Is it even theoretically possible to create a dock-to-dock cable with the electronics that would allow an imod'd 5G to play in this rig and then use the "real" ALO cable, say, to run to an amp in other settings?

Just wondering...

Angus

May 28, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #370 of 456
The car issue is also a problem for me. I want to be able to use my iMod at home, with a portable amp, and in the car. Will this 5g iMod offer any solution for this type of use? I would love to see an option to get the dock with a 3.5mm female connection to allow use of the iMod in other situations. -CK

May 28, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #371 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The car issue is also a problem for me. I want to be able to use my iMod at home, with a portable amp, and in the car. Will this 5g iMod offer any solution for this type of use? I would love to see an option to get the dock with a 3.5mm female connection to allow use of the iMod in other situations. -CK

You can buy somehting like this http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/s...roduct_id/6399
and voila bob's your uncle you can use any other mini cable.

May 28, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #372 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can buy somehting like this http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/s...roduct_id/6399
and voila bob's your uncle you can use any other mini cable.

I don't think people spending almost USD 200 on a LOD and maybe USD 100-200 on another cable would be interested in putting a USD 6 connector in between.

May 28, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #373 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by procreate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think people spending almost USD 200 on a LOD and maybe USD 100-200 on another cable would be interested in putting a USD 6 connector in between.

Hehe look above your post
tongue.gif

Plus I was just suggesting a working solution, that coupling adapter is screened, plus you can get a gold plated version, I doubt its too shabby. The person with a question wanted to use it in his car, which I doubt is a super hi-fi enviorenment, so this solution should work.

May 28, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #375 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone enlighten me on the differences between the different cable options from Alo for the Imod? I'm about to order but haven't had any expérience with such cables. I was thinking on getting the cheaper one but will I get lower SQ than the Crio X which is $85 more?

You won't get lower sound quality, but a different flavor of sound, I would say. The differences would be minor and subtle anyway, if you had both you might eventually find one you prefer but if you only get the cheapy, you won't be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back