New iMod for the iPod 5G: A Red Wine Audio/ALO Collaboration
Jun 18, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #436 of 456
As I posted above, I ordered the iMod for my 5G 60GB iPod last Tuesday and sent the iPod for delivery to Vinnie on Thursday. On the same day, I also ordered the Super Cotton iMod Dock and a Female iMod dock for use with my other mini-mini cables.

Well, the iMod cable and female dock arrived last Friday and the iMod itself arrived today! Now that is some speedy service! Very excited to have the beauties in action, I played the iMod with the Super Cotton Dock through my RSA SR-71 and into some AD2000 cans from my office rig. The battery was low, so I only heard it for a couple minutes with these full-sized cans, but I am impressed already, to say the least. The sound is crisp and clean and beautiful!

The iMod is now charging up for the boat ride home. Very cool stuff that will only get better with more use. Glad that I will have it for the commute home today, and happy that I will be riding the ferry all summer instead of driving so that I can spend more time listening!

Thanks again big time Vinnie and Ken for the great service and great products! I think I may have to leave early today to start listening sooner. . .
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 18, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #438 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the iMod cable and female dock arrived last Friday and the iMod itself arrived today! Now that is some speedy service! Very excited to have the beauties in action, I played the iMod with the Super Cotton Dock through my RSA SR-71 and into some AD2000 cans from my office rig. The battery was low, so I only heard it for a couple minutes with these full-sized cans, but I am impressed already, to say the least. The sound is crisp and clean and beautiful!

Yep! Right out of the box it is something special. I now have about 80 hours on mine.

Enjoy the music!

Jun 19, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #440 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't wait to get my 5G iMod!

Voltron,
That must be pretty cool riding the ferry to and from work. I'm jealous!

I thought you had one Nick, but maybe you have the 4G? Anyway, you are going to be psyched when you have this baby.

Commuted on the ferry for the first time today. Although both directions were cool, going back with the new iMod blasting was even better! Crossing the San Francisco Bay on the water is one sweet way to go to/from work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep! Right out of the box it is something special. I now have about 80 hours on mine.

Enjoy the music!

Even though I am at home with some other options, I am listening to the iMod!. Beautiful rendering of The Blues and the Abstact Truth in Apple Lossless on HD650s. Makes me wonder how the cable and caps are going to sound in a couple hundred hours, let alone how awesome the V-cap dock will be!
blink.gif

I held out on the 4G iMod because I got this one as a gift from my family and it is inscribed, etc. Because I couldn't have one, I doubted the impact of the iMod even though lots of people I knew and trusted thought it was great. I am pretty sure already that I was wrong to doubt them!
icon10.gif
Happily, of course.

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #441 of 456
Does anybody had chance to try Mini to mini through ALO female mini dock and iMod dock cable with iMod and how's the results?.

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #442 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anybody had chance to try Mini to mini through ALO female mini dock and iMod dock cable with iMod and how's the results?.

I'm kinda wondering the same thing. I can see the cost benefit of being able to keep your mini to mini from your 4G iMod. But, does the extra connection degrade the sound quality?

Jun 21, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #443 of 456
My iMod and ALo Cotton dock cable are just arrived today and iam enjoying very much(iam blownaway by it's soundquality). One of the best portable player i ever own(thanks Ken and Vinnie). I had the same question in my mind.

Jun 21, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #444 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would also be very interested in a comparison on this. Anybody out there gonna help out please ?

Jun 22, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #445 of 456
I can provide some impressions on use of the Female iMod dock, which I think is a great addition to the RWA/ALO universe.

I have just had my 5G iMod since monday but the sound is amazing right away like Zarim says. I have been listening on headphones mostly like this: iMod->Super Cotton iMod dock->RSA SR-71->E500s, and all I can really say at this point is that it is gorgeous sound for a portable setup. Amazing, really.

I also have listened to the same headphone setup but using the Female iMod dock and one of two RNB Audio mini-minis that I have, and the sound is great with those combos as well. The sound signature is a little different with each cable, but I do not hear deterioration at all based upon use of the nice little Female dock.

Even better, I have listened for hours each day this week over speakers on my desktop setup using the iMod as a source with the Female dock connected to my Headroom Desktop Amp with a mini-RCA. The sound *might* actually be as good or better than my laptop to the internal DAC in the Headroom Desktop (Home dac module). I have not tried A/B'ing them it's just that the sound is excellent and extremely improved over simply taking the normal iPod line-out into the amp as I have done plenty in the past.

The Female iMod Dock is a useful device that provides a solid connection and great SQ for use with ALO's minis and other cables.

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #447 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by subfocus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info Voltron . Good to know there isn't any significant deterioration in SQ betweeen the female dock adapter and the more expensive imod cable options.

Well, the overall SQ will depend on what cable you put into it, but the Female Dock is clean and does not affect the sound negatively.

Jun 27, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #448 of 456
Just wanted to add something to the discussion about the female dock. In regard to my question:

Quote:

In your estimate, will the iMod's capabilities be completely negated by the (junk) mini-mini cable (from the female dock)?

Ken writes,

Quote:

No, you will take a very minor hit in sound quality with the female mini jack and mini to mini but it is very very small.

In lieu of that, I ended up ordering the budget-dock from Ken, while sending my 80 GB to Vinnie. Thanks for offering a more "budget" option, Ken. In addition to the reasonable price, the flexibility afforded by that dock rivals the SendStation PocketDock that I previously used pre-iMod. (Just to be explicit, do not use a PocketDock with the iMod.)

Jun 27, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #449 of 456
I am sure this has been mentioned, but I must have missed it.

I just got my female dock

Does the dock need burn in? If you have to burn it in, do you have to use the imod or can you use any ipod to burn it.

I should probably email Ken, but I figured you guys have a lot more time on your hands than he does
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #450 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my female dock

Does the dock need burn in? If you have to burn it in, do you have to use the imod or can you use any ipod to burn it.

Because it has the caps, you do have to burn it in. Don't know whether it needs to be attached to the imod (rather than any ipod).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back