New iMod for the iPod 5G: A Red Wine Audio/ALO Collaboration
May 12, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #31 of 456
Great news! I can't wait for impressions. This takes the Westone 3's place as my most anticipated product. -CK

May 12, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #32 of 456
Great news, thank you scrypt.

But why are there no photos?????
lambda.gif

May 12, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #33 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.morton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great news, thank you scrypt.

But why are there no photos?????
lambda.gif

Just picture any 5G iPod...
rolleyes.gif

May 12, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #34 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The second stage of the modification -- Black Gate caps, et al. -- will be incorporated into the cable, which will somehow allow Vinnie to give us both options.

Does that mean you would need two cables, i.e. one for use with a portable amp (mini jack) and one for use with a home amp (rca jacks)?

And since the headphone jack isn't disabled, am I correct to assume that the new "iMod cable" is a LOD?

May 12, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #35 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmyers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So much for thinking my portable rig was almost complete. When I heard that Vinnie's refurbished 4g ipods were drying up, I felt pretty smart for having snagged an imod when I did (a couple weeks ago). I don't feel quite as smart now, but at least I have some beautiful music to make me feel better.

Seriously, though, I would kill to have a 5g imod, with the slimmer design, gapless playback through itunes (I'm not a rockboxer), and video playback. I just hope there's still enough refurbished 5g ipods around when I finally dig myself enough out of debt to buy a 5g imod.

I think you should feel very happy! The 4th Gen iMod iPod sounds fantastic and IMO gapless is not that big a loss. Nor is video, heck that screen is so small you will go blind in no time. So be happy and enjoy your iMod.

May 12, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #36 of 456
I'm very interested as well, but like someone says, the price is going to be a killer...

Unless it's sounds significantly better than the 4G, I'll hold out for awhile.

May 12, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #37 of 456
Red Wine claimed the 4G had the best DAC and was the most worthy of being modded. Was this just to help people justify shelling out hundreds of dollars on an outdated model? I'll be interested to see if they keep that as part of their sales pitch for the 5G. Note: yes it is a case of sour grapes: I just bought a 4G at the SF Meet!

May 12, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #38 of 456
Black Gate caps are bogus.

They just relabeled Rubycon's, and they don't have better specs than many other types of capacitors. Not to mention the don't readily publish the specs of each capacitor.

For many times with capacitance under 10uF, ceramics would most likely be superior.

May 12, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #40 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just picture any 5G iPod...
rolleyes.gif

I believe pics would be nice of the specialized iMod cable that not every 5g iPod comes with....

May 12, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #43 of 456
No one's mentioned this yet: with this breakthrough, wonder if the 4g Ipods that Ken has will now go on sale?? On other words, is the 5g Imod going to prove more popular than the 4g???

Time will tell I suppose

May 12, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #44 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One question, what type of DAC does the 5th Gen iPod's have? Are they superior to the 4th Gen's DAC?

Since the 5g's came out relatively quickly after the 4g's AND had video, AND were in the same price range, I would assume some corners were cut in DAC quality. But I am just using logic.

This coupled with the fact that Apple touts earbuds with 128kbps as "almost cd quality"... so they don't really care all THAT much about DAC.

May 12, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #45 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW...a 120GB HD of that size will kill your wallet. The Toshiba ones are insanely pricey, like $700 range...and they're not 120GB....

And that's $700+ BEFORE YOU EVEN HAVE THE iPOD, let alone have it modded, THEN have to buy the cable. Prepare to be iBroke.

To further push this point:

http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/t...ard_drive.html

The price has been knocked down considerably.
http://store.memorylabs.net/10lahdd1noha.html

That's still $250 for just the hard drive, and it's not even 120gb. But if you want to up the HD on your photo to 80gb, prepare to be iBroke:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOSHIBA-MK8007GA...QQcmdZViewItem

That's the cheapest you can find it. So the ZIF connectors REALLY drop the price, but otherwise, that's a pretty hefty tag before you even get into buying the ipod and mod and cable....sheesh.

I want to see how this pans out. How many people are willing to buy a $1000 portable that was originally told to not be worth modding (4th gen was the only worth it...riiiiigggghhhht)?

Not slamming anybody but this is a bit rediculous. IMO, anybody that buys one is a fool, unless it sounds COMPLETELY and utterly better. There can be nothing subjective about it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back