New IEMs for electronic music - upgrade from S4i
Aug 12, 2011 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

misterbee

New Head-Fier
Hi chaps

Apologies, this is just another one of those same threads, but I'm struggling to narrow down despite a couple of weeks of research. Been lurking here for a while now.

I'm upgrading from the Klipsch S4i, which have served me well and have a decent low end / mid. I find the highs very grating every now and then - I do like the signature, but maybe after a little smoother highs. I connect to iPhone with a Fiio E5 via dock cable (superb piece of kit by the way, miles better than the iPhone jack output).

I listen to a lot of breaks/trance/dnb, but I can't justify £200 for the IE8s - budget around £150 max (roughly $250 - I know a lot of you guys are in the US). Bass and soundstage important.

I love the look of the new B&W C5s but I'm seriously put off by the reported sound leakage (next to nothing escape from the S4s, even at a little higher than reasonable volume - not keen on irritating fellow commuters :).

So... Suggestions welcome. :)

Cheers
R

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 18
The Sony new EX series IEMs like EX600, EX800 and GR07, MTP Gold are recommended. They all offers good bass extention, smooth highs, wide soundstage and there sound signature match well for these genres music.

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 18
Most of those are above his budget Zarim, but there is an ebay seller who is selling GR07s for £105. A UK-based head-fier named Varley bought some from there so they are legit.

I've been tempted to try them myself, but I don't need another IEM really.

Aug 12, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 18
Thanks guys.

Just took a look at a few reviews of the Atrios again, shame they're only available in the UK in that horrid blue. But... can't see them when they're in your own ears, eh? From what I read, they sound like they're just the ticket.

Given the choice, would you go for the Atrios or GR07s? Found them on eBay for £100.

Both studio monitors though - an upside or downside?

Aug 12, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 18
The GR07 are more on detail side(detailed mids, highs and wide soundstage) with quality bass and Atrio are bass heavy IEMs with good overall details(not as detailed as GR07 in mids n highs).

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #8 of 18
Not just the onyx black my friend, there's also the blue and the special edition brown. I've owned both the onyx black and brown, which I've currently listed up for sale.

All of the above shown are the latest Atrio M5 with mg7 drivers, with the difference being that the special edition comes with the leather-esque case (as is shown) constructed from recycled tires (pretty nifty).
smile.gif

Aug 13, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #10 of 18
tongue.gif
 I know what you mean. Close-up, they look like cheap plastic. I personally stuck with the brown as my exclusive pair since it looked much classier in comparison to the other two.
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #11 of 18
Don't mind the browns or the blacks personally, but I can only find them in HHA and they only seem to have the blue ones. Looks like they're pretty rare this side of the pond.

EDIT: By brown, I meant the special edition wood effect looking ones. Just seen a pic of the plastic brown: no thanks. :)

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #12 of 18
Hmm it seems you are correct! Strange, when I bought them they only stocked the Onyx Black.

Perhaps it might be worth emailing them to see if they will get some black ones. As far as I can tell they are the only UK supplier.

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #13 of 18
I've just been listening to my Atrios. They sound great for how much they cost, especially with electronic music.

That said, I'm having a hard time recommending them now because they are uncomfortable and I can't seem to find any good tips for them. The stock bi-flanges sound best, but they are the main cause of my discomfort and also need to be fiddled with so much to get the 'sweet spot'.

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #14 of 18
If you happen to have a pair of tri-flanges (the silicone Monster ones in my case), there was absolutely no issue with comfort, and they really bring out the sound. :)

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #15 of 18
The Klipsch eargels go really nicely with the Atrio. I have been using the medium eargels for years. Great seal and great sound (brings even more texture to the sub-bass!) and fantastic comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back