New IEMs arrived : OVC t25
Jan 12, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #31 of 35
I'm quite looking forward to testing these out now. Unfortunately my Paypal account is playing up a bit and so everything is having to be paid via eCheque which is taking a week to clear ...

Oh well - at least I know they should be on their way soon.

Jan 12, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #32 of 35
Still enjoying these, but haven't listened to them that much because the provided 3,5mm adapter does not fit on the crystal case of my new Meizu m6 . I ordered one of these adapters with a short cable , that will do the trick.

But listening to them now, I still like them and find the sound quality very good for the money. They are quite revealing. I'm curious how they fare with an amp , The bass is very tight and defined without one.

Jan 13, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #33 of 35
Small update: decided that the powerful bass of the ep-630 was really more of a flaw than a virtue up against the vibe/t25 relatively flat response. So I gave away my ep-630 to a needy officemate. Ultimately it wasn't the superior sound quality or appearance that most convinced me, though, it was the realization that I didn't have to live with the awful cable noise of the creatives.

So, it seems to me ever more likely that the t25 are coming out of the same factory as the vibes, now that I've got used to their more realistic bass response to give them the full thumbs up. Certainly these are not cheap knock-offs, as the sound quality is really quite good, better than the ep-630 and Shure E3 which are the only other IEM's I've tried.

This brings me back to wondering what the OEM status of these headphones is, though. I was always self-righteously pleased about getting the OEM ep-630/cx300-- why should we pay double just for the privilege of badge-engineering from a snooty brand, when we could just buy from a wholesaler going to the original manufacturer? But the question is who owns the design-- in the case of the creative/sharp/senn/AKG headphones, obviously the design was from whoever licensed it to and manufactured it for all of them. With the Vibe/t25, it's not so clear. Either V-Moda is seriously overselling its role in the engineering process, or somebody on the production end decided to rip them off. The rumors of legal proceedings make me suspect the latter, which makes me wish I had just shelled out for the actual product. But we don't really know yet what the real answer is.

FV

Jan 13, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #34 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This brings me back to wondering what the OEM status of these headphones is, though.

We own the IP on the final sound curve, design, patents, speaker driver, and approve if we OEM/Cobrand it to others (currently we do not but we have the rights to do so for all markets worldwide). Only a few hundred were made, and we legally stopped them - I won't go into exact details but there are a number of obvious things that make it different than Vibe.

I'll write a longer explanation in a new thread generically explaining modern manufacturing, R&D, Quality Control of reputable brands and how it effects products, and the problems enforcing IP in China. However, it is the same problem that effects the likes of Dolce & Gabbana, Gucci, Sony, Louis Vuitton and ours very much and all we can do is constantly sue, innovate, and hope consumers back brands that actually are pushing the envelope and investing heavily in QC so we can continue to do so.

Case closed.

Jan 13, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #35 of 35
Alright people, there you have it, go for the real thing. These OVC guys shouldn't profit out of the work and innovation Val and his team invested in the Vibe. I'm going to try to send back the ones I got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back