New IEM ~100 USD - suggestions?
Oct 24, 2010 at 8:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SPACESHIP

New Head-Fier
I am looking to buy new IEM for over 2 years now, but I never got around to do it. The variety of IEM seems to increase very quickly and that's why I decided to get one before it's even harder to get an overview over the market. Even though I spent quite a time on this great forum, I couldn't find the perfect choice myself yet and now I hoping for some input from you
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm using the Koss The Plug for years now, and I really want to get something better now. In my eyes they are missing a lot of details and it's always taking too much time to put them on correctly.

1.  I'm going to use them with my Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player and I'm listening mainly to HipHop and RnB, with a little Jazz, Classic and Rock thrown in.

1. I certainly am a fan of a nice, deep and punchy bass - this is the only reason why I didn't bought the RE0 already.

1. I really like having a big sound stage and wondering if a certain noise came from the music or from my enviroment.

1. The new earphones should be small and shouldnt stick out of the ear too much - sometimes I use them in bed and I want to be able to put my ear with the phones on the pillow. (This is the reason why I decided against the Fischer Eterna). The Koss were ok here. Also, my ear canals are quite small (I think), since even the smallest tips from my Koss phones were too big and I had to reduce their size. I tried once the Sennheiser CX300 from a friend and I liked the size of them and the nature of the tips (flanges?). I don't want to have foam tips like the Koss ones ever again.

1. I want to be able to get the phones quickly and easy in and out of my ear. Isolation is not that important to me, I don't mind if the isolation is not the best as long as I can get them quickly in my ear.

1. The new phones should be durable  - I want to be able to use them for several years

1. I was planning to spend around 100 USD / 70 € on the new phones

So far, I narrowed down my list to this:

1. Logitech UE 700 (too neutral?, 70 €)
  2. Etymotic MC5 (too neutral?, 70 €)
  3. Phonak Audeo Perfect Bass PFE 010 (90 €, build quality?)
  4. Klipsch Image S4 (60 €, build quality?)
  5. Xears TD 100 (45 €)
  6. Hippo VB (where can I get it (from Germany)?)

Any ideas which I should get? Or other suggestions?

Oct 25, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 3
Well I don't know about anyone else but I recently got the TD100 and put on some Sony Hybrid tips. Beautiful. Really no problem with fiddly fitting, just pull ear open, push 'em in and go!
smile_phones.gif
Also bass (mainly sub-bass) is a dream. Low, powerful and in charge and unlike a lot of in ears i've tried, there is absolutely no bleeding into any of the other spectrum. I don't find they stick out of my ears very much AND they have a decent soundstage...  I can't comment on durability as I haven't had them long but they look solid to me and they've already taken a bit of bashing, I have heard sketchy things about their other 'phones coming apart but not this model that I am aware of. Isolation is also pretty decent, I ride on the bus daily and hear nothing of the screaming children/hustle and bustle. People have to literally wave infront of my face for me to realise they are talking.
redface.gif

Your budget is quite a bit more than they cost, so there may be better options in your reach but these are truly a bargain! Good luck with finding some phones that suit you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back