New iBasso Portable Amp/DAC: iBasso D14 "Bushmaster"
Aug 1, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #121 of 584

I never heard a DX100, but I use my rockboxed' DX50 via coaxial out to my iFi mirco iDSD to use the dual TI DSD1793 dac with bit-perfect filter setting, instead of the Wolfson dac from the iBasso which beats all DAPs incl. AK240 I heard up to now.

Does DX50 with iFi micro beat AK240? I've never heard about that.
But anyways, let's go back to D14 Bushmaster. 
This unit is particularly amazing because it looks like a successor of their amazing D55. I already own D55. It sounds amazing... it rivals Geek Out 1000. 
While D55 is a 24bit 192kHz and non-DSD capable unit, this D14 Bushmaster is DXD and DSD256 unit. 

I wonder if this can match the sound of their old DX100 (2012). DX100 has good sound quality but overall technology of 2012 didn't allow them to use the very best touchscreen, firmware, etc.

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #124 of 584
  how would you rank:

R10 vs D14 vs DX90 vs AK120?

I personally like the DX90 over the AK120 and the reviews so far indicate that the D14 is noticeably better than the DX90. I can't speak for the R10 nor the DX100.

Aug 1, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #125 of 584
Ya. I cant imagine anyone thinking the DX90 is better. The D14 retains much of the DX90s sound while improving on it

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #127 of 584
anyone test d14 with speaker ?

??? The D14 is a headphone amplifier with 1/8" headphone jack....no speaker terminals. Unless you mean using powered speakers such as AudioEngine which I imagine would work OK.

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #131 of 584
DX50 coax out to D14 spdif and the quality of sound is a big improvement only ran for about 10 hours so far so looking forward to the suggested burn in period to observe any changes. Top piece of kit for the money.

Will have to change the supplied ts cable as its a bit cumbersome for portable use and it looks to be putting a slight strain on the sockets. I have some parts on order to make a new cable as I could not find a ready made one anywhere. If anyone has found a suitable cable please could you let me know where.

Thanks

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #132 of 584
DX50 coax out to D14 spdif and the quality of sound is a big improvement only ran for about 10 hours so far so looking forward to the suggested burn in period to observe any changes. Top piece of kit for the money.

Will have to change the supplied ts cable as its a bit cumbersome for portable use and it looks to be putting a slight strain on the sockets. I have some parts on order to make a new cable as I could not find a ready made one anywhere. If anyone has found a suitable cable please could you let me know where.

Thanks

Any short 1/8" cable will work, no need for a custom or expensive cable. Either mono or stereo is OK. As it is all digital data, even run-of-the-mill connectors work just fine. I have a couple of short cables with 90 degree connectors which make a very tidy carry bundle.

Aug 4, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #133 of 584

Thanks

Any short 1/8" cable will work, no need for a custom or expensive cable. Either mono or stereo is OK. As it is all digital data, even run-of-the-mill connectors work just fine. I have a couple of short cables with 90 degree connectors which make a very tidy carry bundle.

The ultra short cable from JDS labs works amazing with it. Its small profile and short length fits a DX50 D14 stack basically pefectly

https://www.jdslabs.com/products/146/ultra-short-3-5mm-interconnect-cable/

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #134 of 584

The ultra short cable from JDS labs works amazing with it. Its small profile and short length fits a DX50 D14 stack basically pefectly

https://www.jdslabs.com/products/146/ultra-short-3-5mm-interconnect-cable/

Thanks for the replies I do have a short 3.5mm stereo connector which I did try but the quality of audio is not as good as the supplied mono connector from ibasso, I have some other cables which I will dig out and try today, will report back later with the results.

Thank you again.

Aug 5, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #135 of 584
Is it possible to use this as a transportable set up with my laptop? I want to keep it connected to my mac and occasionally use it with my cellphone. Is there a way to run it off of USB power without overcharging the battery? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back