New iBasso Portable Amp/DAC: iBasso D14 "Bushmaster"
Feb 20, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #436 of 584
So I've been putting 100+ hours to my D14 and this is not harsh/sibilant at all! very clear and but no harshness :gs1000smile:

That is when I test it using live recordings with many cymbal splashes

Wished this thing got more power hehe

Mine has been running under 100hr, I thought it loose on bass, no speed for metal genre. I hope the bass get tightened up and reduce a bit while reach 100hr mark. Could you confirm about this ?

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #437 of 584
Mine has been running under 100hr, I thought it loose on bass, no speed for metal genre. I hope the bass get tightened up and reduce a bit while reach 100hr mark. Could you confirm about this ?

I don't have metal songs but I do have classic rock and modern alternative rock. The speed is there and I do not experience any loose bass.
I use the D14 with Havi B3 Pro 1 IEM and AT R70x headphone

What's your can?

Feb 20, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #438 of 584
Ah, I switch to high gain sounds more tight. But overall sounds rather in dark side, compare to my old alo island.
Mainly I use fitear f111 for metal djent genre like animals as leaders, etc. Also use stagediver 2 for pop and country genre.
Funny hiss is absent on high gain mode no matter how much I crank volume. Or my iem not that sensitive. It is different from alo island, easy detect some hiss at medium gain.

Feb 20, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #439 of 584
I rarely uses Low Gain on the D14 
smile_phones.gif

Feb 25, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #440 of 584
Folks, I'm waiting to receive my unit that I bought from user 'jared basshead' a couple of days ago.

My current setup is the FiiO X3 (1st gen)+ FiiO E12A to Fidelio X2. I noticed a significant improvement in detail and realism while listening directly through the HO of the FiiO X7 using the Fidelios. The Fidelio and X7 combo was very satisfying for my tastes. So I'm very keen on finding out how the D14 compares to the X7's sound (X7 was with AM1 amp module). Do chip in with your inputs, if any.

Thanks in advance, cheers

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #441 of 584
Ah, I switch to high gain sounds more tight. But overall sounds rather in dark side, compare to my old alo island.
Mainly I use fitear f111 for metal djent genre like animals as leaders, etc. Also use stagediver 2 for pop and country genre.
Funny hiss is absent on high gain mode no matter how much I crank volume. Or my iem not that sensitive. It is different from alo island, easy detect some hiss at medium gain.

Wow if you consider the D14 a bit dark, i dont want to hear your Alo Island hahaha!

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #444 of 584
Folks,

I have a question. Is it possible to use a Windows 8.1 tablet with the D14 in DAC+amp mode using the supplied micro to mini usb interconnect? And secondly, would this provide the specified 13 hrs of battery life (approx.)?

Thanks in advance

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #445 of 584
If you are using the usb cable then the battery life for dac/amp or dac only is 6-6.5 hours which is half of the claimed battery life. Per iBasso's rep on her, the claimed timing is achievable if used through SPDIF. Go back few posts to read those info.
I can't answer the first portion of your question add I haven't used it on Windows tablet.

Mar 2, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #446 of 584
If you are using the usb cable then the battery life for dac/amp or dac only is 6-6.5 hours which is half of the claimed battery life. Per iBasso's rep on her, the claimed timing is achievable if used through SPDIF. Go back few posts to read those info.
I can't answer the first portion of your question add I haven't used it on Windows tablet.

How do I connect my windows laptop using SPDIF to the D14? Any specific cable needed?

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #447 of 584

Thanks for your response. Yes I have read through those posts above; my query was because of this same difference in battery life. So assuming I'm able to run my D14 in dac amp mode using the supplied short interconnect (not spdif), I wanted to know whether using the full size USB cable was necessary to use dac amp mode.

Thanks anyway, cheers

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #449 of 584
Just got mine in Today!! Super excited to put it against a couple of things.. But so far, from the few hours I've had with it, it's very smooth.

I'll let you all know my finding soon, somethings I'll be pairing it with the Fiio X5ii, iPhone 6, Android Nexus 7 tablet.
In addition, see what it sounds like compared to the Fiio Q1. The reason why, I personally feel like it has a VERY competent sound, especially for the price.

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #450 of 584
D14 vs DX80, comparision please? Only SQ and tonal balance.

This is only initial impressions, but so far, the D14 is smoother (not as hot/the highs are not loud) This is not to say the D14 is Warm, I'd just say more organic and natural than the DX80. To my ears, the DX80 is great for my Warm to Dark IEMs, such as the RHA T10's and the RHA MA-600, not to mention the Sony XBA-A2's and the rest of the Sony line ups I own.. However, for those who own bright sounding IEMs or earphones in general such as Grados or Dunu's you might want to consider the D14. Since the D14 has a more laid back, it creates a very non-ear fatiguing sound signature. Which is beneficial for hours and hours of usage.

Where the DX80 excels, in my opinion, is the analytical to lively signature is fantastic for hearing all the details we all care about. But since they are both iBasso products, they both have a similar feel in the sound. Yes, there are differences, but at the end of the day, it will vary greatly on the earphones you pair both products with. In addition, the D14's sound will vary depending on what device you pair it with. In the few hours it's been in my possession, I've quite enjoyed it paired with the iPhone 6 as an external DAC. Same goes for pairing it with the Fiio X5ii. And honestly, they both have a very similar sound. Power of course is the primary thing the D14 has going for it over both the DX80 and the X5ii. So if you need an all in one device that will pair with most devices, I'd say the D14 is the way to go. If you want a player to only carry one device around with you as you're on the go, I'd say go with the DX80.. Or just buy all three, and choose one as your mood changes.. Lol..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back