NEW Ibasso D42 Mamba!
Jun 11, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #16 of 104
After reading the forums more, I see that the Tysonic or Tenergy Low Self Discharge 200mAh NiMH's are the ones that I'm wondering about vs. the iPower/whatever ~520mAh LiPO's. In regards to sound, and especially anyone with experience in iBasso amps, does anyone have any experience to say one sounds better than the other or if there's actually any difference at all?

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #17 of 104
Quote:
After reading the forums more, I see that the Tysonic or Tenergy Low Self Discharge 200mAh NiMH's are the ones that I'm wondering about vs. the iPower/whatever ~520mAh LiPO's. In regards to sound, and especially anyone with experience in iBasso amps, does anyone have any experience to say one sounds better than the other or if there's actually any difference at all?

I have them and don't hear much of a difference. I would get a larger storage so you have a better run time. 

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #18 of 104
Thanks again, Jamato! You're like a 1 man team, so full of good information. Longer battery life it is!

My amp should be getting here in 2-3 days, confirmed it's the one with a black body and silver panels :-D  

I'll be grabbing the batteries online soon, but there's still one more question. I've already seen the deal with the LiPO and Li-ion batteries being 8.4v, not 9, but I also see that some have an extra cell and output 9.6v. Now that's not a big difference, so I bet there's no real difference in sound, but has anyone talked about over powering the iBasso's and getting benefits? The 9.6v is just a small jump, but could do something, and then there's ~15v, but is that in the danger zone of damaging the device? I know the old 2StepDance could do this and got good results.

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #19 of 104
Quote:
Thanks again, Jamato! You're like a 1 man team, so full of good information. Longer battery life it is!

My amp should be getting here in 2-3 days, confirmed it's the one with a black body and silver panels :-D  

I'll be grabbing the batteries online soon, but there's still one more question. I've already seen the deal with the LiPO and Li-ion batteries being 8.4v, not 9, but I also see that some have an extra cell and output 9.6v. Now that's not a big difference, so I bet there's no real difference in sound, but has anyone talked about over powering the iBasso's and getting benefits? The 9.6v is just a small jump, but could do something, and then there's ~15v, but is that in the danger zone of damaging the device? I know the old 2StepDance could do this and got good results.

I have used the higher voltage rechargeables but the run time is lower and they are just a little larger and fit tight in some applications. I hear a difference in using the 9 volt setting vs the USB, which cold be the amp getting the higher voltage and the separation of supplies, which is a good thing for sound. The difference in the voltage from 8.4 to 9.6, hard to say, I didn't hear much. Longer run time is always a good thing if there isn't a compromise in sound quality an I didn't hear any but everyone's millage can vary. Depends on how close the pedal is to the metal. :^) 

The black and silver should be good looking. Remember, you can also roll the op amps but I like the stock but HiFlight would have some great options. 

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #20 of 104
It's really great that you've played the field so much with portable amps and even between various tweaks on a single amp. It's great to be able to get your first hand knowledge, Jamato. So I just placed an order for a set of 650 mAh LiPOs, which look like good quality, high mAh batteries that will be good to start with, and from here I can see what I think of it all. Thanks again for all the advice & tips.

And haha, I actually emailed HiFlight soon after buying the D42 and got a price on a TopKit. I've never rolled opamps before, nor do I know anything about buffers, but I've got a TopKit inbound for early next week :-D  HiFlight also sent me a great .pdf on what opamps do and what not, so hopefully after some reading I'll have a better rooted approach than just swapping in and out and listening :p

Jun 28, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #22 of 104
Quote:
Hello

Do you know whether its USB input is asynchronous or not ?
thx

No idea, the iBasso crew is really good with communication though, so I'd send them an email. service@ibasso.com

And I finally got both the HiFlight TopKit op-amp rolling kit and the 650mAh rechargeables in the mail, so I'm pretty much good to go from here. Just got to start burning in the D42 and figure out where I want to start in on the op-amps. 

Jun 28, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #23 of 104
As for compatibility with my stock Galaxy S3 with Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processor or my brother's stock Galaxy S4 with Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 processor, semi-ok. Out of the box it connects, but the audio is on fast-forward and you can't listen to that. I downloaded USB Audio Recorder Pro and with that it works and sounds AMAZING via either phone. I can't say if it's the D42, U-ARP, or the synergy with my V-Moda M100s, but it's a NICE package. Usability is a joke though, so I was still pretty unhappy with the compatibility and started thinking...

I thought there was some kind of access or authorization issue, so I enabled USB Debugging mode in Developer Settings and then reconnected the D42. Now it works great and can be connected to any app from GoneMAD to YouTube on both phones! The S3 is mine, so that's what I spend my time on, but the sound is the same, as far as I can hear, on both phones. This really helped, now it's a nice package and I get all the Album Art, Shuffle, Lock-screen Widgets, Playlists, and usability that I'd wanted in my portable audio solution. I'll be buying a new MicroSD-hc card so that I can start rolling this package for real and getting my money's worth 
L3000.gif
  It'll be a while before I start to swap in and out the op-amps and buffers from the TopKit, I've got to get familiar with the combo before I start messing with it. 

Jul 1, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #24 of 104
Quote:
As for compatibility with my stock Galaxy S3 with Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processor or my brother's stock Galaxy S4 with Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 processor, semi-ok. Out of the box it connects, but the audio is on fast-forward and you can't listen to that. I downloaded USB Audio Recorder Pro and with that it works and sounds AMAZING via either phone. I can't say if it's the D42, U-ARP, or the synergy with my V-Moda M100s, but it's a NICE package. Usability is a joke though, so I was still pretty unhappy with the compatibility and started thinking...

I thought there was some kind of access or authorization issue, so I enabled USB Debugging mode in Developer Settings and then reconnected the D42. Now it works great and can be connected to any app from GoneMAD to YouTube on both phones! The S3 is mine, so that's what I spend my time on, but the sound is the same, as far as I can hear, on both phones. This really helped, now it's a nice package and I get all the Album Art, Shuffle, Lock-screen Widgets, Playlists, and usability that I'd wanted in my portable audio solution. I'll be buying a new MicroSD-hc card so that I can start rolling this package for real and getting my money's worth 
L3000.gif
  It'll be a while before I start to swap in and out the op-amps and buffers from the TopKit, I've got to get familiar with the combo before I start messing with it. 

Anyone tried it with the camera connector and an iPhone/iPad?

Jul 2, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #25 of 104
Quote:
Anyone tried it with the camera connector and an iPhone/iPad?

iPhone + CCK for sure no, unfortunately external DACs can't work that way. Man do I ever wish they could :-/

As for the iPad, if no one answers this in a month and a half, I'm going up to my other brother's and he has both iPad3 + CCK, so I'll give it a shot and report back. If I had to take a guess though, I'd bet 100% that it'll work because iPad + CCK makes the DAC get recognized just like it would if you plugged it into a PC. Anyway, if there's no takers then I'll let you know mid-August. 

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #26 of 104
Quote:
iPhone + CCK for sure no, unfortunately external DACs can't work that way. Man do I ever wish they could :-/

As for the iPad, if no one answers this in a month and a half, I'm going up to my other brother's and he has both iPad3 + CCK, so I'll give it a shot and report back. If I had to take a guess though, I'd bet 100% that it'll work because iPad + CCK makes the DAC get recognized just like it would if you plugged it into a PC. Anyway, if there's no takers then I'll let you know mid-August. 

Thanks --  You actually can do the iPhone just like the iPad that way (as long as the phone is jailbroke).  You can download the CCK app to the iPhone and use an external DAC.

If the Ibasso works that way I might have to buy one.  Been saving my pennies for a VAMP Versa, but this would probably do for what I need.

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #27 of 104
What are the differences between the D42 and the D12, besides the rechargeable battery?

Would one be significantly better than the other for driving a pair of Westone 4's?

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #30 of 104
can you actually pop a 9V re-chargeable into the D42 and use the USB to charge?  Do you switch it to USB or Battery on the back plate for charging?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back