NEW Ibasso D42 Mamba!
Jun 3, 2013 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 104

L-G-C

Head-Fier
I don't know if there has been any threads for this new product, but I checked the website today, and here's the description. This Product retails for $190. 

[size=medium]The D42 is a refinement of the well received D4. While we keep the AMP section exactly same as the original D4, we improved the DAC section by using better components.  The enclosure is very different to the D4's. It is a well made enclosure with hairline finish.[/size]
[size=large]Main features:
[size=medium]- Dual Wolfson WM8740 DAC Chip 
- TI PCM2706 for USB signal input, provides I2S interface for decoding
- Works as a DAC+AMP Combo, a standalone AMP, or a standalone DAC (Line out function) 
- 2-Setting Gain Switch
- OPAMP rollable
- AMP section can be powered by either USB or 9V battery
- Measures 60*20*92mm, and weighs 102g
- Comes with 3.5 to 3.5 interconnect cable, pouch, USB cable, and OTG cable.
[/size]
[/size]

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 104
Hi,

Very interesting.

I am curious to understand how a dual DAC setup helps improve the sound.

It's all digital, no? So the Wolfson 8740 is designed to process stereo, 2 channels. If you use one DAC for each channel, does it use different sound processing in the same chip? Does it have now twice the time to process? Is it "cleaner"?

I really don't understand why it's better besides some stupid car analogies I came up with myself :D

Many thanks,
K

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 104
popcorn.gif
 Would be interesting to see how they improved the DAC section. And also the removal of the max volume bug in the D4. Subscribed 

Jun 4, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 104
With the option as before of USB or using the 9 volt batteries, this should be fun. I should hear it today or tomorrow. I wish I had a smart phone with Android to plug it into. I may have to buy one. 

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 104
Quote:
With the option as before of USB or using the 9 volt batteries, this should be fun. I should hear it today or tomorrow. I wish I had a smart phone with Android to plug it into. I may have to buy one. 

Looking forward to your opinion. 

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 104
The bass is firming up from what it was yesterday. The caps need to form and everything else burn in. As with the D4, this dual dac and amp is convenient to use. You have the USB for any of a computer or other source, an amp that has sockets so you can use different op amps and 5 volt or the 9 volt battery source. 

The D42 throws a nice large cohesive sound stage. The volume control is smooth and solid feeling. The volume knob finish is excellent and the grip makes it easy to turn. Everything from the jacks to the very solid and finally finished case looks quality and at the price this is a crazy bargain. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 104
Huh, I was starting to wonder when they'd release something new (well... new-ish). Anyone know if their desktop amp is still in development?

Jun 7, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #9 of 104
I don't know about the home amp and or dac but this new D42 is insane. 

Extreme clarity/transparency and a nice big sound field. The price of $188.00 is just about a give away and for something that sounds this good, which I would rate up there in the top of portables, is crazy. Quality case, dacs, amp section, parts. I don't know how they did this. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #10 of 104
Quote:
I don't know about the home amp and or dac but this new D42 is insane. 

Extreme clarity/transparency and a nice big sound field. The price of $188.00 is just about a give away and for something that sounds this good, which I would rate up there in the top of portables, is crazy. Quality case, dacs, amp section, parts. I don't know how they did this. 

A couple questions if you have time: 

How many 9V does it take to power it, one or two? 
How does the D42 compare to the original D4? 
In your opinion, does the D42 have enough juice to do well w/ the HD650? 
What is your portable amp of choice for your HD650? 

Thanks for any answers you can get to! 

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 104
Quote:

A couple questions if you have time: 

How many 9V does it take to power it, one or two? 
How does the D42 compare to the original D4? 
In your opinion, does the D42 have enough juice to do well w/ the HD650? 
What is your portable amp of choice for your HD650? 

Thanks for any answers you can get to! 

One 9 volt battery. 
The D42 is more transparent and a cleaner sound. By that, I mean a blacker background and I also notice more dynamics. 
You can roll op amps so it may power the 650 but I personally like the 650's balanced and don't enjoy them much otherwise. 
The portable choice would be the PB2 or the Intruder or 71B for the 650, again, balanced. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #13 of 104
Quote:
So would u say the pb2 sounds better than the d42?

The PB2 is balanced and with the 650 I would prefer that. I haven't compared them single ended and can't right now. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #14 of 104
I suppose people will be wanting comparisons vs the stepdance/quickstep soon. There aren't too many new amps on the market which still run on 9V batteries. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #15 of 104
Well, the PCstep for sure, since they're on the same playing field. And other integrateds like the RSA Intruder, Apex Glacier, and HeadAmp Pico dac/amps! The Stepdance/Quickstep, I'd have to say even before getting into it, that their purpose built amps might sound better. 

I also came here from the old D4 Mamba thread where I had asked Jamato a few questions. He convinced me and I placed my order for the black version of the D42. That all in price of $210 is pretty damn slick, there's nothing else around is. Now to find out how it sounds! I hope it comes in 2 tone with the silver face-plate like it shows on the website, though. That colour combo was great looking!

I'm also looking at a few different batteries for it. I've read here and there that the Tysonic or whatever other 9v 200mA batteries sounds great, but I wonder if there's any truth to it? Like that would get just about ~5hrs per charge. Or there's other Li-Polymer ones with 400-520mA which would have to last for ~15-20hrs per charge. Does anyone have any experience with testing different capacities to say if there's a difference in sound? 

Then the next question is like with the old Meier StepDance, could there be any sonic benefits to over powering it with something like the Energizer 15v battery pack? Or some type of 12V? Has anyone tried this with any of the iBasso products and noticed any sonic benefits or scary "going to blow up or burn up the device" things?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back