NEW Ibasso D42 Mamba!
Sep 7, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #97 of 104
I'm not exactly sure how it sounds compared to those two units as the D42 is my first DAC+AMP and I've always used whatever phone I had at the time as the source.

so how does it sound to you??
Does it have a 3D-like wide sound stage??
D42 looks like a great unit. It comes with all accessories I need, but it supports up to 24 / 48 only. I'm looking for something that can play 24 / 192 khz flac files...

Sep 7, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #98 of 104
I use the D42 with M50s currently and some say that the M50s don't need an amp. But I bought it to be prepared for when I get some HD600s. Right now with the M50s I will say that even with "cheap" headphones I would pay the 188 dollars to use the D42 with them because in my eyes it's worth it. The Soundstage is widened, but as of how much it's capable of I'm not sure because the M50s had close to no stage to speak of. But with the D42 I have easily noticed instruments in different places now and also noticing more depth. I listen to electronic music mostly and I can also hear subtle things like recessed synth lines I've never heard before just playing out of a phone jack. Instrument separation along with Soundstage is killer on this unit. I can easily pick out what's making music at a given time, and a listening to a drum kit in a song is delightful in that I can easily distinguish every snare, Tom, high hat, crash, or bass drum hit amongst everything else in a song. Earlier on in the thread it was mentioned that the stock opamps were a little bright. And I can agree with that, and I'll also add that it isn't to happy with equalization from poweramp. But I could almost not even care really. For the price I paid, and what I'm getting with the simple M50s, it's already paid itself off in features and performance.

Sep 7, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #99 of 104
I use the D42 with M50s currently and some say that the M50s don't need an amp. But I bought it to be prepared for when I get some HD600s. Right now with the M50s I will say that even with "cheap" headphones I would pay the 188 dollars to use the D42 with them because in my eyes it's worth it. The Soundstage is widened, but as of how much it's capable of I'm not sure because the M50s had close to no stage to speak of. But with the D42 I have easily noticed instruments in different places now and also noticing more depth. I listen to electronic music mostly and I can also hear subtle things like recessed synth lines I've never heard before just playing out of a phone jack. Instrument separation along with Soundstage is killer on this unit. I can easily pick out what's making music at a given time, and a listening to a drum kit in a song is delightful in that I can easily distinguish every snare, Tom, high hat, crash, or bass drum hit amongst everything else in a song. Earlier on in the thread it was mentioned that the stock opamps were a little bright. And I can agree with that, and I'll also add that it isn't to happy with equalization from poweramp. But I could almost not even care really. For the price I paid, and what I'm getting with the simple M50s, it's already paid itself off in features and performance.

Sounds perfect. That's exactly what I'm looking for.
Thanks man!
I'll try to buy one of them. I like design of D42. It looks better than other amps in this price range.
iBasso guys are truly amazing..

Sep 10, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #100 of 104
iBasso D55 vs D42 Mamba... which one is better???
I have no idea which one will sound better with my android cellphone.
I was considering D42... and it seems like D55 is an improved version of D42?
Not much is known about D55 yet.

Sep 21, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #101 of 104
sorry to bumping old threat, has anyone use this dac/amp with superlux's headphone? which u know they are had sibilance and metalic over vocal range ( female vocal) and I want to smoothen that things, some my friend suggest fiio e07k, my other friend recommend D42 which he said can give the vocal more smooth and sweet which one is suitable for me? 

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #102 of 104
Did you ever get a reply to this post?  I am having a great deal of difficulty finding any details on which Op Amps to use for replacements.  I currently have a Sennheiser HD598 with Double Helix  Molecule SE cable and am currently using the FiiO E11 but want to upgrade to a DAC/Amp and am considering this or possibly the Oppo HA-2.

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #103 of 104
Hello,

Can someone tell me if the "current" iBasso D42 still suffer from the DAC clipping issue, as described in this post of the "old" D4: http://www.head-fi.org/t/450260/ibasso-d42-mamba-with-dual-dacs-hey-hey-improved-starting-on-page-76/795#post_6416467 ?

Thanks.

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #104 of 104
Hello,

Can someone tell me if the "current" iBasso D42 still suffer from the DAC clipping issue, as described in this post of the "old" D4: http://www.head-fi.org/t/450260/ibasso-d42-mamba-with-dual-dacs-hey-hey-improved-starting-on-page-76/795#post_6416467 ?

Thanks.

I do believe iBasso has addressed that issue by the upgraded DAC components in the D42. Since its introduction, I have heard no reports of clipping unless it is due to being grossly overdriven. Even in this case, the clipping is amp related rather than DAC related. It is very likely that one's ears will reach their limit before the onset of clipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back