NEW Ibasso D42 Mamba!
Dec 25, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #77 of 104
You could put a hiflight top kit in to bring some warmth to it.

Excuse me, but how do I put that "top kit"? Where can I buy it?. I was thinking into getting a Vali/Modi (tube hybrid amp) DAC/amp from Schiit due to the lack of warmth with the D42/SR80i combo. I enjoy treble, that's why I buyed the grado. But more treble than it already has would be too much.
PD: i'm getting a MS2i in near future, how would this perform with the iBasso? I read the Alessandro is more neutral than grado.

Happy Christmas by the way!

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #78 of 104
Excuse me, but how do I put that "top kit"? Where can I buy it?. I was thinking into getting a Vali/Modi (tube hybrid amp) DAC/amp from Schiit due to the lack of warmth with the D42/SR80i combo. I enjoy treble, that's why I buyed the grado. But more treble than it already has would be too much.
PD: i'm getting a MS2i in near future, how would this perform with the iBasso? I read the Alessandro is more neutral than grado.

Happy Christmas by the way!

If you go to Hiflight.com and/or he is here on Head Fi, his name is Ron. The D42 has OPamp rollable. He will send directions on how to do it and its color coded. Plug and play no sodering and its pretty cheap. Merry Christmas to you as well.

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #80 of 104
I have had this amp for a few days now, I've only had this with my DX50 so far and I so far I'm really impressed with the sound sig. There is a real emphasis on the bright side, but not overly done. I really like how clear the sound is coming from this amp. The amp size is perfect with the DX50, it is also really light weight. This amp will definitely a keeper, it still has some burning in to do yet. I will still buy the highflight kit for it as well so that I have the opportunity to experiment , also one of the reasons I bought it was for the opamp and buffers to be changed at will. I hear the DX90 will have USB out so that be a definite plus for this amp.

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #81 of 104
Does anyone know where to get another one of the portable Samsung cables that came with the amp? I tried emailing iBasso, but no response. 

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #82 of 104
Email them again.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #85 of 104
Thanks for replying howdy, I was wondering if the senn HD 650 sounded ok with C5D, in other words did the sennys sound like they were sufficiently driven? How was the pairing in terms of overall sound quality? thanks!

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #86 of 104

I thought the HD650 sounded great with the the D42/DX50 combo. Does it get loud, I can say it gets loud enough, is it going to blow your ear drums, no.

Maybe you wrote C5D on accident or if you are looking at it, I can say one thing the C5d I'm sure sounds great but if you don't like the sound of the D42 you can go to hiflights' website and tell Ron what you like and he can send you some opamps and buffers to change to your liking, the C5d does not have that option and it is cheap.

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #87 of 104
I thought the HD650 sounded great with the the D42/DX50 combo. Does it get loud, I can say it gets loud enough, is it going to blow your ear drums, no.

Maybe you wrote C5D on accident or if you are looking at it, I can say one thing the C5d I'm sure sounds great but if you don't like the sound of the D42 you can go to hiflights' website and tell Ron what you like and he can send you some opamps and buffers to change to your liking, the C5d does not have that option and it is cheap.

Haha I did write C5D on accident. I am deciding between the two, but will go for the ibasso d42. The ibasso can used as a DAC on my samsung s3 and laptop for on the go purposes.

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #89 of 104
Anyone have experience with the D42, E18, C5D, and the leckerton uha-6s.mkii? Or has opinions on advantages and disadvantages on each unit against one another? Or even other suggestions for android rigs? I currently have M-50s, but I am budgeting heavily towards some high end sennheisers for the future. I'd rather buy one unit that is capable of doing it all with anything that I have or get, than own countless AMPs and DACs that I've bought even somewhat blind and fail to be satisfied. As time plays on there will always be better units that arise. But this will be my first DAC/AMP in any way shape or form and I'd rather start out strong. Then buy something worth two bills and then do more research than I have already done, and say "Should of got this, or should have got that"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back