NEW! iBasso D-Zero Mk2
Dec 9, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #46 of 334
They could have just omitted the Wolfson DACs if they went with VIA DAC/USB chips as the site says.  We're not talking about PCM270x level of quality here, oh no, VIA is far better.
And finally an output buffer for the headamp.

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #53 of 334
I'm intrigued by the output power of the MKII versus the original D-Zero,the MKII specs show it has (up to) 120mW+120mW at 16Ω with a gain of  +3/+9   the original D-Zero's output power was  (up to) 95mW+95mW into 32Ω and a gain of +3/+10

so according to the specs it seems like the original D-Zero was more powerful. I wish I knew what 120mW+120mW translated to for 32Ω instead of 16Ω since most of my headphones are 32Ω

my guess would be that 120mW+120mW into 16Ω would mean 60mW+60mW at 32Ω since 32Ω is twice as much resistance - though something tells me it's not that cut and dried.if anyone can explain it to me i'd be really grateful.

bottom line though the MKII is an incredible amp/dac combo for only $119, more than powerful enough for my needs, and it was worth the extra $22 for expedited shipping (I received mine in 3 days, really impressive considering it started in China and ended up in Arizona on my doorstep less than 72 hours later) .its an added plus that paired with my Sony F807 they are the same height stacked as my D2+ Boa was by itself! the D2+ Boa was a bit more powerful,but not massively so,and the D-Zero MKII is $50 less expensive and has three times the battery life. great all around quality piece of kit for an entry level price.

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #54 of 334
I have been listening to the MkII and for 119 dollars it is an excellent buy. I can't believe the sound for this small amount of money and the whole package feels like quality. Crazy. Music players just get better and better. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #55 of 334
  I have been listening to the MkII and for 119 dollars it is an excellent buy. I can't believe the sound for this small amount of money and the whole package feels like quality. Crazy. Music players just get better and better. 

Totally agree. It is awesome for the price. 

Dec 25, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #56 of 334
HI,
I am new to this forum and don't have much technical knowledge.
Few questions before I make final call:
*Can I use it with Moto G as both DAC/AMP combo? Portability?
*Can I use with fiio x1 as external amp? Will it help improve SQ further?
* I think I can use with windows desktop PC as USB DAC. Can I connect it to powered PC speakers (such as Audioengine A+ or Swan D1080)?
regard's,

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #57 of 334
Hi everyone, 

Based on this thread I thought I would treat myself to one of these for Christmas, as my Arcam rPAC is no longer working via USB OTG since I updated the Firmware and Arcam refuse to answer my technical support tickets (thats loyalty for buying british!). 

Anyway, iBASSO have some seriously good customer service, answering email questions swiftly. I ordered on the 18th, confirmation and TNT tracking sent on the 19th, delivered to my door on the 22nd, absolutely brilliant door to door service. 

I dont want to do a massive review here, I will save that until I have had more than an hour or so of listening, but I have to say I am most impressed.

Packaging - Nice velvety case, otg cable, charging cable (No instructions, but I am not fussed about that) and all packaged very nicely. 

Testing - So far I have only tested the following - Samsung Galaxy Note 3 -> Mini to Micro OTG -> Hifiman Re-400, it does sound fantastic. 
Worth noting is that when playing with UAPP (Stock android sounds do work fine with all apps, but I paid for this player months ago and didn't get chance to use it) the D Zero will work at 196k hertz. I sent Billy Joel's Piano Man in 24/176 to it for a laugh and UAPP states that the DAC is running at 196!!!!! Not sure if this is some sort of software misreporting, but I thought I would mention it as that exceeds the manufacturers spec.

The sound is very good, testing on both low gain and high gain, I dont detect any noticeable hiss as some have posted about on this thread, so happy on that score. 

Not here is the tricky bit, as I am a novice audiophile. Does it sound better than my rPAC............. yes and no. Some tracks I am hearing new sounds and sitting there in amazement, but on others where I know what sound and where its coming from I feel its not as good, for example listening to The Beatles Love - While my Guitar Gently Weeps, when the cello (I think it is) comes in on the right side, there is more texture and body on the rAC, but the D Zero sounds better for some other tracks, so I think its just slight colouration on the rPAC that pronounces certain sounds. 

I've not tested the battery as I plugged it in straight out of th box, but I am not even on half volume using high gain, so I feel it will last as stated (10 hours). 

It really is an impressive bit of kit, for £91.50, I cant get anything in the UK that compares as far as I know, especially when you factor in the Android compatibility, its an extremely simple way to improve your music on the go, without breaking the bank.

My friend I am seeing today has a HRT Microstreamer and one of the new Geek DAC's, so I am going to listen to a good combination and update at some point. 

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #59 of 334
Hi everyone, 

Based on this thread I thought I would treat myself to one of these for Christmas, as my Arcam rPAC is no longer working via USB OTG since I updated the Firmware and Arcam refuse to answer my technical support tickets (thats loyalty for buying british!). 

Anyway, iBASSO have some seriously good customer service, answering email questions swiftly. I ordered on the 18th, confirmation and TNT tracking sent on the 19th, delivered to my door on the 22nd, absolutely brilliant door to door service. 

I dont want to do a massive review here, I will save that until I have had more than an hour or so of listening, but I have to say I am most impressed.

Packaging - Nice velvety case, otg cable, charging cable (No instructions, but I am not fussed about that) and all packaged very nicely. 

Testing - So far I have only tested the following - Samsung Galaxy Note 3 -> Mini to Micro OTG -> Hifiman Re-400, it does sound fantastic. 
Worth noting is that when playing with UAPP (Stock android sounds do work fine with all apps, but I paid for this player months ago and didn't get chance to use it) the D Zero will work at 196k hertz. I sent Billy Joel's Piano Man in 24/176 to it for a laugh and UAPP states that the DAC is running at 196!!!!! Not sure if this is some sort of software misreporting, but I thought I would mention it as that exceeds the manufacturers spec.

The sound is very good, testing on both low gain and high gain, I dont detect any noticeable hiss as some have posted about on this thread, so happy on that score. 

Not here is the tricky bit, as I am a novice audiophile. Does it sound better than my rPAC............. yes and no. Some tracks I am hearing new sounds and sitting there in amazement, but on others where I know what sound and where its coming from I feel its not as good, for example listening to The Beatles Love - While my Guitar Gently Weeps, when the cello (I think it is) comes in on the right side, there is more texture and body on the rAC, but the D Zero sounds better for some other tracks, so I think its just slight colouration on the rPAC that pronounces certain sounds. 

I've not tested the battery as I plugged it in straight out of th box, but I am not even on half volume using high gain, so I feel it will last as stated (10 hours). 

It really is an impressive bit of kit, for £91.50, I cant get anything in the UK that compares as far as I know, especially when you factor in the Android compatibility, its an extremely simple way to improve your music on the go, without breaking the bank.

My friend I am seeing today has a HRT Microstreamer and one of the new Geek DAC's, so I am going to listen to a good combination and update at some point. 
I'm a cello player myself, and from ur description I think the rPAC is more certainly coloured in that region of sound.

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #60 of 334
  HI,
I am new to this forum and don't have much technical knowledge.
Few questions before I make final call:
*Can I use it with Moto G as both DAC/AMP combo? Portability?
*Can I use with fiio x1 as external amp? Will it help improve SQ further?
* I think I can use with windows desktop PC as USB DAC. Can I connect it to powered PC speakers (such as Audioengine A+ or Swan D1080)?
regard's,

pretty much yes to everything,and the only reason i say 'pretty much' is because I haven't heard the Fiio X1 yet (something I hope to change soon) so I can't say how much it will improve the X1's on board sound. but the D-Zero  definitely can be used as an amp or dac or both and its as easy as toggling the switch on the front of the unit.i frequently use it with windows and for my computer to say the sound quality is improved is a vast understatement.

in fact i was just about ready to sell a pair of 80 ohm Beyerdynamic DT770s that had done little more than gather dust in the top shelf of my closet since purchasing them in 2012 until I plugged them into the D-Zero via my computer using Foobar (with the equalizer off) and was floored,and i mean astounded,blown away even at how incredible these cans sounded!

the reason I never knew before was because none of my Sony Walkmen DAP's had the output power (the only thing i dislike about any Sony players,otherwise they are unbeatable for my own preferences) to put the DT770's  through their paces (nor does my PC's sound card on its own) yet once I added the D-Zero to the signal chain I immediately closed my classified here (i can't believe I nearly sold the DT770s for $100, that would have been a mistake i would have never forgiven myself for. so that alone makes the purchase of the D-Zero worthwhile for me,but of course it's got plenty more benefits than just that.)  granted the 80ohm version of the DT770s are without question the hardest to drive headphones under 100 ohms and I've read on more than one occasion where people who own them said they had 300ohm cans (such as the Sennheiser HD650) which were easier to drive,and I don't doubt it.

even going beyond harder to drive headphones, the D-Zero makes many of my lower impedance cans perform far and above their native capabilities, whether an inexpensive classic like Koss PortaPro's (which are 65ohm but easy to drive even unamped yet sound loads better through the D Zero) or my recently acquired 32ohm Grado PS-500e (a better pair of headphones for under $1000 I have never heard) even my affordable and much loved Philips/O'neill Construct's which without amplification should be easy enough to drive at only 32ohm yet like the DT770 something just doesn't ring true about their advertised resistance,and without amplification the Construct are at best worth the sale price you can still get them for (between $50-$60) but not worth their original list price of $129,that is until you hear them properly amped and then,its as if they are an entirely different set of headphones,i am not joking,suddenly the already impressive sub bass reaches even deeper and tightens up adding detail and punchiness,and most impressively the midrange goes from being recessed to being straight forward and centered and the highs even though they have the most subtle change definitely improve with added clarity and more reach,never sibilant and all at once it's as if i am listening to my Grado SR80i's with the benefit of hard hitting full rich bass.

the one thing I think everyone here who owns this unit does agree on is that it is an absolute steal for the price. and best of all iBasso have a 14 day no questions asked return policy.but after the first day any notion of returning it will be non existent. i apologize for the lengthiness of this response but this unit is THAT impressive.and so is iBasso's customer service and timeliness in delivering their product. best $141 i ever spent ($119 for the D-Zero MKII + $22 for expedited shipping,had mine in three days from China to Arizona!!!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back