NEW! iBasso D-Zero Mk2
Nov 28, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #17 of 334
Seems interesting to me, especially since it no longer just takes 16/44.1, though to me there is no difference between 16/44.1 and 24/96. Technically 16/44.1 is all u need, but I welcome the compatibility.

Someone else said earlier that this is an improvement over the E17. If it is, I cannot stress how excited this makes me, the MK2 being cheaper. I also admire iBasso's implementation of the WM8740 in the iBasso DX50, so I have high hopes for these, just as lin0003 stated in his review

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #19 of 334
Seems interesting to me, especially since it no longer just takes 16/44.1, though to me there is no difference between 16/44.1 and 24/96. Technically 16/44.1 is all u need, but I welcome the compatibility.

Someone else said earlier that this is an improvement over the E17. If it is, I cannot stress how excited this makes me, the MK2 being cheaper. I also admire iBasso's implementation of the WM8740 in the iBasso DX50, so I have high hopes for these, just as lin0003 stated in his review

That is high praise in my book as I love my e17.  It is terrific for every headphone we own aside from the Sennheiser HD-650.  It sounds good with the HD-650s as well, but just doesn't have enough power to drive them loudly enough for anything but a quiet room.  Definitely insufficient for a plane or train/bus.  I add bass boost of "+2 to +4" standard with the HD-650s, but most of our other headphones are more "bass-heavy" (By accident, not by choice) like the VModa Bass-Freqs or Photive PH-BTX6 headphones so I leave them at Bass "0".  The Koss Porta Pros I leave at "0 to +2" depending upon the music type I'm listening to.

The iFi iDSD MICRO is the only PORTABLE Amp/DAC that I've heard that I can personally say drives the HD-650s to the level of Desktop/Rack headphone amps.  (Schiit Audio ASGARD 2 dedicated amp, Old Pioneer Tuner, Panasonic Home Theater system, etc...)  The iDSD MICRO is between what the ASGARD provides and the commercial tuners and surround system headphone outs output in terms of "weight", volume, and soundstage.

The iFi Nano is supposed to sound almost as good as the iFi MICRO, but I can't say from personal experience.

In contrast, the iPad Air, iPhone 4s, and 5 can drive the HD-650s to be almost as loud as the FIIO (It's REALLY close!), but the sound is much thinner and the soundstage is notably smaller.   Important - Our ORIGINAL iPad/Gen 1 don't output enough volume to make the HD-650s listenable even in a completely silent room.   

Advantage of iPhone/iPad alone - One device, easily-portable with no clutter
Advantage of e17 - Slightly louder, more "weight"/substance to music, Larger soundstage + Bass-Boost capability
Advantage of iDSD MICRO (Not Nano) - As loud as wanted, added 3D soundstage expansion, Dynamic Bass-Boost, adds USB DAC capability to play DSD & DXD files "natively" not just converting PCM, and doubles as a portable charger & mini-speaker amp.

FIIO - ~$100 USD
iFi Nano - ~ $180 USD
iFi Micro - ~ $500 USD

So it all comes down to what features are important to you and how much you are willing to part with monetarily...

If I didn't have the HD-650s, I don't think that I'd have cause to go beyond the FIIO for my portable rig personally, but the Native DSD capability does improve the music to my ears, but only with the KOSS Porta Pros, UE Super-Fi3,  and the HD-650s.  I don't think that the other headphones we own (Including the Apple earbuds and earpods) are detailed enough to really show a difference.

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #21 of 334
That is high praise in my book as I love my e17.  It is terrific for every headphone we own aside from the Sennheiser HD-650.  It sounds good with the HD-650s as well, but just doesn't have enough power to drive them loudly enough for anything but a quiet room.  Definitely insufficient for a plane or train/bus.  I add bass boost of "+2 to +4" standard with the HD-650s, but most of our other headphones are more "bass-heavy" (By accident, not by choice) like the VModa Bass-Freqs or Photive PH-BTX6 headphones so I leave them at Bass "0".  The Koss Porta Pros I leave at "0 to +2" depending upon the music type I'm listening to.

The iFi iDSD MICRO is the only PORTABLE Amp/DAC that I've heard that I can personally say drives the HD-650s to the level of Desktop/Rack headphone amps.  (Schiit Audio ASGARD 2 dedicated amp, Old Pioneer Tuner, Panasonic Home Theater system, etc...)  The iDSD MICRO is between what the ASGARD provides and the commercial tuners and surround system headphone outs output in terms of "weight", volume, and soundstage.

The iFi Nano is supposed to sound almost as good as the iFi MICRO, but I can't say from personal experience.

In contrast, the iPad Air, iPhone 4s, and 5 can drive the HD-650s to be almost as loud as the FIIO (It's REALLY close!), but the sound is much thinner and the soundstage is notably smaller.   Important - Our ORIGINAL iPad/Gen 1 don't output enough volume to make the HD-650s listenable even in a completely silent room.   

Advantage of iPhone/iPad alone - One device, easily-portable with no clutter
Advantage of e17 - Slightly louder, more "weight"/substance to music, Larger soundstage + Bass-Boost capability
Advantage of iDSD MICRO (Not Nano) - As loud as wanted, added 3D soundstage expansion, Dynamic Bass-Boost, adds USB DAC capability to play DSD & DXD files "natively" not just converting PCM, and doubles as a portable charger & mini-speaker amp.

FIIO - ~$100 USD
iFi Nano - ~ $180 USD
iFi Micro - ~ $500 USD

So it all comes down to what features are important to you and how much you are willing to part with monetarily...

If I didn't have the HD-650s, I don't think that I'd have cause to go beyond the FIIO for my portable rig personally, but the Native DSD capability does improve the music to my ears, but only with the KOSS Porta Pros, UE Super-Fi3,  and the HD-650s.  I don't think that the other headphones we own (Including the Apple earbuds and earpods) are detailed enough to really show a difference.
I was watching some videos on my friend's iPhone 4S and the voices were really grainy and quite harsh. The thinness is also quite apparent

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #22 of 334
Actually, iphones have better audio output than most phones out there in terms of sound quality. The only phones that are probably better are some of the HTC phones which implement the Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC chip (this is Cirrus Logic's top chip)

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #23 of 334
The Wolfson DAC in the Mk2 is presents a slightly warmer SQ than does the more neutral ES DAC in the DX90. Whether the Mk2 SQ is better than the internal amp in the DX-90 will be a matter of personal preference. The DX-90 has about the same output power as the Mk2. I seldom use an external amp with my DX-90, but if one does choose to use the Mk2, it would have to be via the DX-90 line-out to the Mk2 Aux Input as there are no coax or optical inputs on the Mk2. I have never owned a FiiO, but I can say that there is plenty of power and headroom available to drive even challenging phones.

The DX90 will likely still present 24bit files just fine with somewhat less than full volume as the DX90 uses a 32-bit processor. That said, the best signal to noise ratio is usually obtained by setting the source output to a high level and control the volume with the external amp. You will likely also find the DACs in the DX-90 to be a little more neutral than those of the Mk2 as the ES9018 DAC chips are typically considered to me a rather detailed and analytic chip as compared to the warmer and smoother Wolfson WM8740.

Have you been able to test this with any full-size cans?  
The E17 can drive even the HD600s (Not really well mind you) Do you know if the Mk2 can as well?

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #26 of 334
  I received my mk2 D-zero last week. Bought it to use with my ie800's, fabulous sound and at the price a complete bargain. Sailed through UK customs, no extra charged.

@pagepack Did you order it directly from iBasso? I am planning on buying one next week and I have been trying to decide between ordering from iBasso or from one of the online stores in France.

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #27 of 334

@pagepack Did you order it directly from iBasso? I am planning on buying one next week and I have been trying to decide between ordering from iBasso or from one of the online stores in France.

Directly from iBasso. Paid for tracked delivery $22 came via DHL. They picked them up on the Friday in China and I got them Monday afternoon. I thought if I get caught for import tax/vat it won't be that much. Obviously if you order from within the EU you definitely won't face any import charges. The full price including delivery was just under 93 quid after rate conversion.

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #28 of 334
Anyone can confirm what someone said earlier in the thread, in that whether it is better than the E17? If it is, it will be a real bargain. And since iBasso knows how to implement their chips (as seen in the DX50) I have high hopes for this.

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #29 of 334
In your opinion.. is the AMP section of the Dzero MKII better than the one inside of the DX 50?

I'm looking for a good portable amp as my DX 50 is fine but not "clear" .. (with the Matrix M-stage my UM Pro 30 sound a LOT better with more space, better treables and with more defined and clean basses).

How this performs compared to Matrix mini portable and FiiO E12 ? and with the others iBasso's portable amps? 

Thank you all

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #30 of 334
After early hype I must say it doesn't soud better than my d4 (hi flight topkit) but sound is very good and is much more useful as a portable device, with the gain is closer but there is hiss...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back