New hybrid amp by Little Dot, I+
Sep 25, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #691 of 805
I've found that OPA2107 + Sylvania GB408A are really good too. The only thing is highs are really rolled off. I am not sure if this is with any op amp or just this combo. It's a bit hard to get used to but makes a very warm, fuzzy experience. My Shure SRH840's don't really like it but I bet treble heavy cans like my SR325i would love it. I need to try those but right now I'm enjoying a bit of warmth. Well, kind of enjoying. Hard to explain. There's that nagging that keeps saying "Where the hell is the treble?"

I still have no clue what happened with my M8083, they just sorta stopped sounding good. And they started completely losing track of themselves in busy passes. Like... system of a down would kick their butt. It was really wierd. And all this started happening right after I hyped them. I now know why FOTM happens. You speak just 2 minutes too soon. To anybody who bought the M8083 because of my suggestion, I'm sorry and I hope your tubes continue to sound as it did when I enjoyed it... though I will say I used them since I bought 'em. (looks like february 25th, so maybe 10 days later I put 'em in. Almost 7 months of constant use (which is probably nearing the 1400 hours mark). I'd say, just to be a bit fairer about it, that's probably more like 1200 hours, but that's a lot of time to put on a pair of tubes, I'd wager. I think I can understand why they started acting up. I think next paycheck I'll buy another set and see if the ones I had just died or not.

I think very least I owe it to myself to see if I had some kind of FOTM disease (but for that long?)

The OPA2107 were bought early june, so that was 3 months with that combo. I haven't enjoyed anything in my life that long I don't think. :\

Sep 27, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #693 of 805
I've just placed my order for this and am currently researching which RCA cables to get. My setup will be Optical out from soundcard>Cambridge Audio DAC Magic>RCA interconnects to LIttle Dot I+>LD I+> Ultrasone HFI-780.

I have two prospective cables in the £50 range, one being Atlas Equator mkII and the other is QED Reference audio 1. Interestingly enough, although people tend to think silver is more expensive, the atlas desciption includes:

Quote:
In a market where many similar interconnects are silver plated the Atlas Equator avoids this by using 99.99997% pure OFC copper alone. This provides the cable with an engaging sound that avoids the brightness often associated with silver plating that some listeners can find fatiguing.

Whilst for a similar price, QED have gone for:

Quote:
The Qed Reference Audio 1 stereo phono to phono interconnect features double screened, silver plated oxygen free braid

Since the prices are identical, does anyone have any advice on what will sound best given my setup? There also seems to be conflicting info in the massive silver vs copper thread in the cable forum with some people saying silver is bright, whilst others say it's dark. I'm probably just getting confused due to being a novice still. Obviously Atlas Audio seem to think silver (plated) cables are bright and therefore fatiguing. The first post on the Silver vs Copper thread reads:

Quote:
My question is due to the bassier, somewhat darker Denons & the warmth of the tube amp (both of which I like). Is it obvious that I should be going for silver cables to complement these other characteristics & not going towards even more warmth from the copper?

So not sure what the definition of the sound signature of my 780s are since I'm new to this but someone else wrote this about pairing the i+ with the 780s:

Quote:
Ultrasone HFI-780- Opened sound stage extremely wide, everything is warmer and smoothish,there is far more detail and precision, bass is more controlled, I can hear things that were hidden before, also vocals are much clearer.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Sep 28, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #695 of 805
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I can't wait to see if I can hear a difference since I need to get the cable before the I+ arrives. Anyway, I happened to be passing my local audio store today which stocks both and decided to go with the copper Atlas Equator MkII cable since I've been quite happy with the one which I have feeding into my amp so far. Someone else with a similar setup to me also said that copper would probably be the best bet so that makes 2 in favour of copper.

It seems like QED gets mixed reviews from time to time by users, but Atlas Audio seems to only have positive reviews by and large by consumers (I'll discard the magazine reviews and awards which are positive for both due to media bias towards these big companies).

I really hope I am one of the lucky people who seem to receive their Little Dot amps within 7 days 
regular_smile .gif
Although I was given the standard 3-? days for testing and qc and 3/4-? days for transit via email notification which everyone else on this thread mentioned.

Oct 24, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #699 of 805
does anyone know if the AD797 opamp, AD797BRZ opamp or anything in the AD797 family (fyi, i know very little about opamps, these might all be the same exact thing) are compatible with the circuitry of the little dot I+?  I would like to roll the opamps in mine, but I want to see here first whether I should buy them.  thanks

Oct 24, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #700 of 805
the 2107 op amp is dark and imo less detailed than what comes stock. i have the stock in right now and it sounds just fine for rolling tubes. This amp really has endless possibilities... makes it sort of hard to just chill out and listen!
    I too like the 408A's, nice and full bodied response. The ef92 by mullard is a nice tube also, but it is more analytical and tight bass wise which was nice for my thunderpants and hd600. It is a pain to open the amp and try all the combinations too, i cant count how many times ive set the timer for 5 min after shutting it down, opened it up and rolled op's or tubes and moved jumpers...   i'll deal with it though for it's versatility
smile.gif

I suggest tubes first, op amps after to simplify things and not overwhelm yourself.

The stock tubes have alot to offer a dark headphone too, dont equal them out either, they are good! 

cheers, M

Oct 24, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #701 of 805

Quote:
the 2107 op amp is dark and imo less detailed than what comes stock. i have the stock in right now and it sounds just fine for rolling tubes. This amp really has endless possibilities... makes it sort of hard to just chill out and listen!
    I too like the 408A's, nice and full bodied response. The ef92 by mullard is a nice tube also, but it is more analytical and tight bass wise which was nice for my thunderpants and hd600. It is a pain to open the amp and try all the combinations too, i cant count how many times ive set the timer for 5 min after shutting it down, opened it up and rolled op's or tubes and moved jumpers...   i'll deal with it though for it's versatility
smile.gif

I suggest tubes first, op amps after to simplify things and not overwhelm yourself.

The stock tubes have alot to offer a dark headphone too, dont equal them out either, they are good! 

cheers, M

I love the stock tubes. M8083's are my second favourite. The best bang for buck on the market now has got to be I+ with an OPA2107, and I feel it's  actually as detailed but with a bit more darkness.

Oct 24, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #702 of 805
^ agreed. i just ordered a pair of nos matched ef91 (m8083) to try. got a super nice deal
smily_headphones1.gif
  i'll post a quick n dirty vs the ef92 when ive had a chance to listen

Jan 2, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #703 of 805
Waiting for the amp to arrive! I have also ordered the 2107 OP-amp and the Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes. Anyone tried this combo? Haven't decided on which pair of headphones to go with, has anyone tried the LD I+ with the ATH-W1000x or the Ultrasone PRO 900?

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #705 of 805
Anybody here knows how the Little Dot I+ pairs with the HE-500?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back