New hybrid amp by Little Dot, I+
Sep 20, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #662 of 805

Quote:
sylvania gold 408a

I've never been a fan of those to be honest, but if it's doing what you described than the the tubes are defective. If you want another pair that I know work with mine perfectly, let me know and we can work out a deal for them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you 100% sure the jumpers were set correctly? Did changing the gain setting help at all?

(They are sylvania gold, not gold pin)

Sep 20, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #663 of 805

Quote:
I've never been a fan of those to be honest, but if it's doing what you described than the the tubes are defective. If you want another pair that I know work with mine perfectly, let me know and we can work out a deal for them.
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

Are you 100% sure the jumpers were set correctly? Did changing the gain setting help at all?

(They are sylvania gold, not gold pin)

Well, they were my favorite tubes, but I'd rather have them gone than the amp. I am interested in a deal for another pair though!

The gain settings are correct. i didn't change them after I got the amp, i've always used tubes from this family. and I think I have about a thousand hours on these tubes. I would have noticed before if the gain settings had not been correct.

Sep 20, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #664 of 805

Quote:

Well, they were my favorite tubes, but I'd rather have them gone than the amp. I am interested in a deal for another pair though!

The gain settings are correct. i didn't change them after I got the amp, i've always used tubes from this family. and I think I have about a thousand hours on these tubes. I would have noticed before if the gain settings had not been correct.

Awesome, send me a PM if you want. These tubes I'd guestimate probably somewhere under 1000 hours but not sure where exactly as they've had a few owners. To my knowledge, the guy who sold 'em to me got 'em from the guy who started the craze of the 408A, so they're broke in and have probably 700-800 hours on them.

Sep 20, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #665 of 805

Quote:
Soon, I'll be getting the W1000X and use it with my LDI+. I'm assuming the results would be good as well.
What does the LDI+ do for your W1000?

Well, with the old sylvania 408a tubes the w1000 sounded very lush with good bass, sound was on the warm side. Good detail, immersive sound, treble extension was not everything it could be. Now with the western electric 08a tubes, the sound sig is more neutral, bass is good but not as impactful as before. treble extension is better though. There is a hard to define vintagey sound to the western electrics. Overall I prefer the sylvania's. What tubes are you using?

Sep 20, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #667 of 805
Have you tried cleaning the pins of the Sylvania's with DeOxit?  Not sure of the history of your tubes but  I'd give that a try before giving up on the tubes altho I admit its a long shot.  

Quote:

Sep 20, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #668 of 805

Quote:
Have you tried cleaning the pins of the Sylvania's with DeOxit?  Not sure of the history of your tubes but  I'd give that a try before giving up on the tubes altho I admit its a long shot.  

I haven't done that yet for lack of deoxit, but will give it a try!

Sep 21, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #669 of 805
And just when I started to praise them the M8083 get really hally and reverby, and the highs start cutting into my head. Back to M8161, warmth, smoothness, bloated bass. :\

Not sure why the tubes morphed into that, but they do. Plus they became the most microphonic lil' suckers I've ever used. SOmething about them really changed, and also they started getting really hot. Probably twice as hot as the M8161's get.

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #672 of 805
i've just joined the LD I+ party with OPA2107 and WE408A installed
L3000.gif

1 of my WE408A had no sound.. i had extras and the next one that i swapped in worked.. likely to be a dead tube?

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #673 of 805

Quote:
i've just joined the LD I+ party with OPA2107 and WE408A installed
L3000.gif

1 of my WE408A had no sound.. i had extras and the next one that i swapped in worked.. likely to be a dead tube?

Yes, if you replace the tube and the sound comes back that's all we can assume, however you could try cleaning the pins... though I don't know if the amp is prepared to operate correctly with bad tubes. Tube amps are funny animals. I would clean the tubes with a wire brush, and then deoxit, then tube brush. (wire brush being abrasive enough to really clean off all the tarnish)

I don't reccomend a wire brush for gold plated pins as it will likely remove the gold plating.

Sep 22, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #674 of 805
hi,

i did some light cleaning with q tips and MG super contact cleaner (same idea as deoxit, but available locally) when i received the tubes, but the condition of the pins on all the tubes looked the same.. i bought 4, with 2 in the amp now and 1 with no sound (so far) and 1 that i haven't tried yet as one of the pins is slightly bent one way... can i gently bend the pin back with pliers?

i'm not in a hurry to replace the existing 2 tubes as they work fine and i'm just gonna listen to it more first..

thanks!

Quote:
Yes, if you replace the tube and the sound comes back that's all we can assume, however you could try cleaning the pins... though I don't know if the amp is prepared to operate correctly with bad tubes. Tube amps are funny animals. I would clean the tubes with a wire brush, and then deoxit, then tube brush. (wire brush being abrasive enough to really clean off all the tarnish)

I don't reccomend a wire brush for gold plated pins as it will likely remove the gold plating.

Sep 22, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #675 of 805

Quote:
hi,

i did some light cleaning with q tips and MG super contact cleaner (same idea as deoxit, but available locally) when i received the tubes, but the condition of the pins on all the tubes looked the same.. i bought 4, with 2 in the amp now and 1 with no sound (so far) and 1 that i haven't tried yet as one of the pins is slightly bent one way... can i gently bend the pin back with pliers?

i'm not in a hurry to replace the existing 2 tubes as they work fine and i'm just gonna listen to it more first..

thanks!

I personally believe pliars are a bad idea s they will rough up the surface. They SHOULD be bendable enough to do so without pliars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back