New hybrid amp by Little Dot, I+
Oct 11, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #706 of 805
I have the He 500 and the Little Dot1+ and they are a good combination.On High Gain I hardly can turn up the volume...already too loud!
My main amp is a Phoenix and I run the HE500 balanced and of course this is MORE sound but not necessarily better than the Little Dot as I like the Hifiman a bit darker.

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #707 of 805
Quote:
I have the He 500 and the Little Dot1+ and they are a good combination.On High Gain I hardly can turn up the volume...already too loud!
My main amp is a Phoenix and I run the HE500 balanced and of course this is MORE sound but not necessarily better than the Little Dot as I like the Hifiman a bit darker.

How do you find the bass impact and extension with the LD 1+. Overall do you think the HE-500 is being driven fully by the LD 1+ or not

Also does the LD1+ make the HE-500 more darker?

I have the O2 right now and sometimes want more of a punch with the HE-500, also it's sometimes touch bright more than my preference.

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #708 of 805
I found the HE500 to bright with the stock cable.And I don't like to use EQ in JRiver.Now that I have a Norse adapter to use the balanced ALO chain mail with the HE, the brightness is gone(or it is my brain that has adjusted).
Also,the Little Dot I+ being a tube OTL, is taming the highs a bit.
Still,the Phoenix is better in handling the HE500 as it has more power and as suc h resulting in more clarity and bigger soundstage.
Depending on the music,bass is well extended on both,but not as visceral as the LCD2 bass(as my reference point).
Every little change in amp,tubes,cables is minimal BUT noticeable!

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #709 of 805
Thanks to this thread, I picked up the Little Dot I+ with the WE408A tubes to use with the Grado SR225i and Ultrason HFI-780. Enjoying them with both.

And I don't know how much this has been said (I haven't read the whole thread), but David of Little Dot is an absolute pleasure to communicate with, and one of the best Internet vendors I've ever dealt with. The service matches the quality of the product, and that makes the experience even that much better. 

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #710 of 805
I seem to see a bunch or people using HE-500s with this, what about HE-400? I'm picking up a pair of HE-400s soon and i also kind of want to replace my yulong u100 with one of these paired with an HRT music streamer II.  anyone have any advice on that, do you think it would be a worth while upgrade.  I'm not really expecting much if an actual improvement, more of a side grade, i just want something different. I  really like my u100 but i like to change stuff around every now and then.  I would like to know if i can expect to hear a little bit of an improvement though.

any input is welcome  
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #711 of 805
Quote:
I seem to see a bunch or people using HE-500s with this, what about HE-400? I'm picking up a pair of HE-400s soon and i also kind of want to replace my yulong u100 with one of these paired with an HRT music streamer II.  anyone have any advice on that, do you think it would be a worth while upgrade.  I'm not really expecting much if an actual improvement, more of a side grade, i just want something different. I  really like my u100 but i like to change stuff around every now and then.  I would like to know if i can expect to hear a little bit of an improvement though.

any input is welcome  
smily_headphones1.gif

Same answer as on the other thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-review

Jun 20, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #712 of 805
I just ordered a Little Dot I+, and I'm a bit concerned about interference.

I'm going to use it in an office setting with a lot of text messaging going on.

Is this a problem with the latest units? Was it revealed to be a grounding issue that can be resolved?

Jun 20, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #713 of 805
I don't exactly know how to fix it because I am not sure if it was the tubes picking up the interference or if the signal wasn't properly grounded to the amp to shield from interference (doubtful), but you may hear some wireless data noises if your phone is on the table kind of close to your amp.  I didn't get great cell reception where I had my LDI+ when I had it, but I could hear some phone data happening when my cell phone was sitting next to the amp.

Jul 17, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #714 of 805
I've recently come to notice a bit of an issue with the Little Dot 1+ amp- not sure if it's just my unit. This amp is great and probably packs more punch than any other amp I've heard when listening to low impedance cans, but the one thing I can't help but notice now is how weird it sounds when listening to a part of a song where the music is only heard out of one ear. The beginning of the Beatles' "Flying" is an example of this. It's hard to describe, and maybe I just don't know the right terminology. Basically the complete lack of noise on the silent side is a bit uncomfortable since there is so much punch coming from the other ear.

Maybe I'm just being picky, or maybe I have a defective unit. Has anyone else experienced this?

PS- through A/Bing I have confirmed that it is the Little Dot that's adding this, not any other part of my chain.

Jul 18, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #716 of 805
Quote:
I've recently come to notice a bit of an issue with the Little Dot 1+ amp- not sure if it's just my unit. This amp is great and probably packs more punch than any other amp I've heard when listening to low impedance cans, but the one thing I can't help but notice now is how weird it sounds when listening to a part of a song where the music is only heard out of one ear. The beginning of the Beatles' "Flying" is an example of this. It's hard to describe, and maybe I just don't know the right terminology. Basically the complete lack of noise on the silent side is a bit uncomfortable since there is so much punch coming from the other ear.

Maybe I'm just being picky, or maybe I have a defective unit. Has anyone else experienced this?

PS- through A/Bing I have confirmed that it is the Little Dot that's adding this, not any other part of my chain.

what other dac/sources are in your chain.. and which headphones are you using?

the beatles recordings have very distinct left/right channels, so perhaps the LD I+ has zero crossfeed, where as your other dac/amps introduce some level of crossfeed into the signal?

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #717 of 805
Quote:
what other dac/sources are in your chain.. and which headphones are you using?

the beatles recordings have very distinct left/right channels, so perhaps the LD I+ has zero crossfeed, where as your other dac/amps introduce some level of crossfeed into the signal?

I'm using a Schiit Bifrost and monoprice interconnects, headphones are a Grado RS1i and Audeze LCD-2. The other DAC/amp I'm comparing to is the Nuforce uDac, which is inferior in about every other way, but doesn't seem to have this issue.

I've remedied it by turning on the crossfeed in JRiver Media Center, and yes, it does reduce the problem by about 75% when using the "pronounced" setting. I still would consider it a flaw in the amp, though, just like having to use EQ to cancel out unpleasant hights, etc. 

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #718 of 805
Some of the beatles recordings were done in mono at the time and converted to stereo. I think that you are  listening to some of the limitation of the recordings. Headphones tend to show the effects of post stereo processing more than speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back