New hybrid amp by Little Dot, I+
Sep 23, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #676 of 805

Quote:

I personally believe pliers are a bad idea since they will rough up the surface. They SHOULD be bendable enough to do so without pliers.

I finally got my order in for mine yesterday. Requested it without OPamp since I have a pair of BB 2107's ready to go. Have paranoia with thoughts of messing something up pulling out OPamp and tubes. I know tubes can safely and securely be removed and installed by hand. What about OPamp? I also got a pair of Mullard M8083's and plan to push them in from the get go. 

Basically trusting that the consensus is 2107 / 8083 combo yields better sonics than stock configuration.

Anyone have favorable results with trying an aftermarket power cable? Also what about utilizing the Silver Star fuses?

Sep 23, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #677 of 805

Quote:

I personally believe pliers are a bad idea since they will rough up the surface. They SHOULD be bendable enough to do so without pliers.

I finally got my order in for mine yesterday. Requested it without OPamp since I have a pair of BB 2107's ready to go. Have paranoia with thoughts of messing something up pulling out OPamp and tubes. I know tubes can safely and securely be removed and installed by hand. What about OPamp? I also got a pair of Mullard M8083's and plan to push them in from the get go. 

Basically trusting that the consensus is 2107 / 8083 combo yields better sonics than stock configuration.

Anyone have favorable results with trying an aftermarket power cable? Also what about utilizing the Silver Star fuses?

Op amps only gotcha is that the legs are NEVER bent correctly to be inserted into a socket first try. My suggestion is to take a straight surface that is hard that's easy to hold and bend from the outside in a bit, and the inside out a bit so that all the legs line up. Make sure they're straight, and gently insert the op amp. You may have to roll it around a bit, but make sure the the indent or dot lines up correctly. If there's a half circle, make sure the half circle is facing the same direction as the indentation on the socket.

Once you get them in the first time and providing you store them by stabbing them into some foam.

Sep 23, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #679 of 805

Quote:

Once you get them in the first time and providing you storm them by stabbing them into some foam.

?

Sorry, red STORE*. Providing you store them in such a way that the pins don't get bent (I for example just stab them into a block of foam), you'll have smooth rolling for the rest of the op amps lifetime.

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #680 of 805
Currently testing OPA637 + Sylvania Gold Brand 408A. It's such a big sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #681 of 805
They run extraordinarily hot and introduce noise on my grados, but not on my shures. It seems they require a load that the 32 ohm cans don't offer (were I to guess based on the outcome). That or the I+ and it's desire to push lower impedance cans harder is driving the 637's far too hard. if I up the gain the noise gets worse. Again, this noise is not existent with the shures. That being said, it wasn't fantastic any way.

Sep 24, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #682 of 805
I'm glad to see people still digging this amp.  I don't think I'm going to upgrade anytime soon.  It'll take a meltdown of some sort.  I might have just jinxed it.

frown.gif

Sep 24, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #683 of 805
Hello new to posting on head-fi I have been lurking for quite a while. I am looking to upgrade my headphones from AD700.
My current setup is Foobar(mostly flac or 320kbp cbr mp3s) > E7 > Little Dot I+ hybrid with mullard m8083 OPA2107 > ad700

What would be the best headphone to upgrade to for this amp under 300$? I have been considering the Grado 225s and AHD2000s

I mostly listen to Big band, hiphop/rap, pop and trance. Things to note about the AD700 is I thought the bass was fine but the soundstage was a little off for some genres and instruments would seem all over the place.
Other than that I liked the sound signature of the ad700s but not sure if the ad900s would be more of the same with the odd soundstage. I would prefer open headphones and that is the main reason I have not bought the AHD2000s as of yet.

Edit: Another big thing I forgot to bring up is that I listen to my music very quietly compared to most.

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #684 of 805
Some actual notes on the Dual 637's. Lots of noise and sounds like it might be hurting my grados when my grados were plugged in. Also, the sound signature of it in the I+ isn't that great anyway. Things seemed nasally and like everything was shifted a step up. Back to OPA2107 (I still think this is the best sounding op amp in the I+).

Sep 25, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #685 of 805
Just bought a pair of mullard m8083 cv4014, and I think something is wrong ith them.
Have to turn the sound up from around 9 to 12 to have the same sound level.
In addition, the sound is not right, harsh and congested and hidden behind the veil.

IS there something I can do with the tubes to correct this?

Sep 25, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #686 of 805

Quote:
Just bought a pair of mullard m8083 cv4014, and I think something is wrong ith them.
Have to turn the sound up from around 9 to 12 to have the same sound level.
In addition, the sound is not right, harsh and congested and hidden behind the veil.

IS there something I can do with the tubes to correct this?

Turn the amp off, make sure all the jumpers are in the right place.

Sep 25, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #687 of 805
What's surprising is I've come full circle back to the 6JI's after putting a DAC between my sound card and amp. Funny thing is, it was voiced against the X-Fi. Were it plugged into the analog port it'd sound grand, but out of a dac, best setup is the stock 6JI tubes. Didn't roll opa's, but just the tubes alone surprised me. :\

Sep 25, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #688 of 805

Quote:
Turn the amp off, make sure all the jumpers are in the right place.

Hmm, yeah, anyone that has a copy of the reference guide in pdf format ,and could paste it here (included the photos, as I am a ...... noob regarding this, never ever having opened my LDI+ before)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back