New hybrid amp by Little Dot, I+
Oct 21, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #766 of 805
I just bought mine and it arrives from Hong Kong on Monday and thanks to your review, by golly am I excited!

Anything I should look-out for or keep in mind with this?

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #767 of 805
Guys, I am selling my little dot. If anyone you know who might be looking for this wonderful opportunity, here is your chance. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/786465/little-dot-i-headphone-amp-with-upgrade-ef92-voskhods-burr-brown-opa2107ap

Aug 16, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #770 of 805
Has anyone done this or seen this  burson audio  v5i  op amp

V5i-S3.jpg

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #771 of 805
How do you know what voltage the jumper needs to be at when changing tubes? Reading the data on the tube i guess? I'm a total noob when it comes to tubes but i am looking in to getting one of these.

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #772 of 805
How do you know what voltage the jumper needs to be at when changing tubes? Reading the data on the tube i guess? I'm a total noob when it comes to tubes but i am looking in to getting one of these.

The manual includes directions for which jumpers to set inside the Little Dot 1+ amplifier. You just need to know the Family of the tubes you are interested in using.

Here is the latest copy of the manual: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6037680/Little%20Dot%20I%2B%20Reference%20Guide.pdf

Oct 31, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #773 of 805
I scored one of these for $85. Pretty good deal. I went with the GE JAN 5654W tubes to start out with. Didn't even bother with the stock tubes.

I started out by trying it with the DT-990 250 ohm. I know that's not a perfect match for this amp but I'm surprised it sounds so good on this amp. Sounds just like it should. I only need 35% on the volume dial.

I actually don't hear any extra warmth. All my music sounds as it should. On some recordings the soundstage seems larger and more outside my head. Maybe a tiny hint of warmth compared to something like the O2.

All my harsh/poor recordings still sound bad..and harsh
biggrin.gif

Only problem is that I started out with a loud buzzing noise. It went down to nearly inaudible levels by changing to a better power cable (cheap one!). I think maybe the audio cables are too close to the power cable? It was even there when my DAC was off.

I also have the K400, Q701, Koss Pro DJ100, HD-598 and HD-650 to try with it.
I totally expect the HD-650 to sound pretty bad with it. I know it's not really designed for that.
I noticed it actually has as much power into 300hms as the O2 (150mw or something).

EDIT: I guess I had a group loop issue or something. I switched outlets and same thing. Tried another one closest to the outside of my apartment and dead silent. Weird. My other amps are dead silent with the other "bad" outlets.

Nov 3, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #774 of 805
I've been listening to this for several hours now and am really impressed so far!
Hard to believe this can be had for around $100 sometimes.
It's actually not a colored sounding amp to me at all. Just maybe a tiny bit of warmth.
Sometimes when i'm testing new gear I skip around too much when listening to music.
With this I can't resist listening to each track all the way through. That's a good sign.

What surprised me the most is that it actually seems like a good "all rounder" budget amp.
I haven't yet had a headphone sound bad with it.

It's kind of funny because I wouldn't even call similar budget amps that. Not even the Magni or O2.

It even manages to sound great with the 250 ohm DT-990 and HD-650.

I think the best headphone for it so far is the Q701. I bet a Grado SR225 would be amazing with it.

I did however hate it with the OPA2227. It just made the soundstage in recordings seem so closed in.
Everything was too warm and congested sounding when paired up with the GE JAN 5654W.

I find that with these tubes, the stock op-amp is very good (IMO).
If I had known it used the LM4562 I would have kept it installed. I remember being rather impressed with that op-amp when I used them with my O2.
With the O2 it was sometimes a tad bright though.

Now I have to wonder what other hybrid tube amps are comparable to this or even better under $350 or so.

Now I know this is not the most powerful amp in the world, but it seems to handle all my headphones easily. Even the AKG K400 is no problem.

BTW somehow the Bravo V2 holds it's own pretty well against this (with upgraded tube). Too bad it's much worse with the Q701 though.
That amp sounds really good for the HD-650 and DT-990. I'm using mine with some old RCA (black plate?) NOS tube.

Wonder how the Bravo Ocean compares to this?

Nov 3, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #775 of 805
  I've been listening to this for several hours now and am really impressed so far!
Hard to believe this can be had for around $100 sometimes.
It's actually not a colored sounding amp to me at all. Just maybe a tiny bit of warmth.
Sometimes when i'm testing new gear I skip around too much when listening to music.
With this I can't resist listening to each track all the way through. That's a good sign.

What surprised me the most is that it actually seems like a good "all rounder" budget amp.
I haven't yet had a headphone sound bad with it.

It's kind of funny because I wouldn't even call similar budget amps that. Not even the Magni or O2.

It even manages to sound great with the 250 ohm DT-990 and HD-650.

I think the best headphone for it so far is the Q701. I bet a Grado SR225 would be amazing with it.

I did however hate it with the OPA2227. It just made the soundstage in recordings seem so closed in.
Everything was too warm and congested sounding when paired up with the GE JAN 5654W.

I find that with these tubes, the stock op-amp is very good (IMO).
If I had known it used the LM4562 I would have kept it installed. I remember being rather impressed with that op-amp when I used them with my O2.
With the O2 it was sometimes a tad bright though.

Now I have to wonder what other hybrid tube amps are comparable to this or even better under $350 or so.

Now I know this is not the most powerful amp in the world, but it seems to handle all my headphones easily. Even the AKG K400 is no problem.

BTW somehow the Bravo V2 holds it's own pretty well against this (with upgraded tube). Too bad it's much worse with the Q701 though.
That amp sounds really good for the HD-650 and DT-990. I'm using mine with some old RCA (black plate?) NOS tube.

Wonder how the Bravo Ocean compares to this?

The LDI+ really does pair well with the Q701.  Another with excellent synergy is the Hifiman RE00.  I tried it with the SE846 though and I have never heard such a poor pairing, haha.  

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #776 of 805
Received this from Massdrop yesterday. Popped in some Tung Sol tubes. I have to say that it is highly impressive when comparing with my Magni 2 (non-U). I've heard people say that it isn't a match for the 2 headphones I tested it with (LCD-2 and HD6xx), but I feel quite the opposite as it provided a more pleasant experience than the Schiit, without feeling that there was anything sacrificed in terms of detail or imaging. There is definitely some darkness in terms of sound signature and that in effect makes certain instruments less "crunchy, but in comparison, the Little Dot makes it sound more "complete" where as the extra chrunchiness from the Magni comes off more as clipping in retrospect. The sound from the tube amp was so rich and euphoric that my wfie, who can discern differences in gear but doesn't find audio to be a pursuit to spend major money on, asked if we could get another one the next time it drops for her desktop setup.

@tdockweiler How did the Pro DJ100 sound on the I+? I had the 200 for a good while which I had passed to my father (He absolutely loves it and it seems we can't go a single phone conversation without him thanking me for his gift) and I wonder if it would be a good recommendation for him.

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #779 of 805
Mr postman just rang on my door delivering the Little Dot! I got 4 tubes with it all of them are the 6j1. 

However i forgot to make a cable so i can hook it up and test it but i did try it out with a pair of headphones and no source connected. No hum, no static and everything seems fine! That makes me really happy to be honest since i hav read alot of stories about grounding issues. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #780 of 805
  Mr postman just rang on my door delivering the Little Dot! I got 4 tubes with it all of them are the 6j1. 

However i forgot to make a cable so i can hook it up and test it but i did try it out with a pair of headphones and no source connected. No hum, no static and everything seems fine! That makes me really happy to be honest since i hav read alot of stories about grounding issues. 

Yep, you are lucky.  I have a quiet hum in my left channel that I can only hear on my sensitive IEMs and I haven't been able to track it down yet.  I would use this a lot more if I could solve that but right now I just use it with my Q701 or RE-00 since they don't pick up the noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back