New hybrid amp by Little Dot, I+
Apr 21, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #751 of 805
How quiet is your LD I+?

At low volume, I can hear (with my Grado RS2i) a very faint static noise that becomes more noticeable as I increase the volume.

I did all I could to get rid of that noise (new tubes, new power cord, new location, new room, etc.), with no effect.

Apr 22, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #752 of 805
How quiet is your LD I+?

At low volume, I can hear (with my Grado RS2i) a very faint static noise that becomes more noticeable as I increase the volume.

I did all I could to get rid of that noise (new tubes, new power cord, new location, new room, etc.), with no effect.

Where did the noise come from? Is it humming sound from its transformer? Is your LDI+ a new unit?

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #753 of 805
Where did the noise come from? Is it humming sound from its transformer? Is your LDI+ a new unit?

I do not know. The noise is there regardless of the tubes I use. Even when the source (dac) is off.... it is still there, even a bit louder. When I remove the tubes, the noise disappears.

Yes, it is a brand new unit.

Before returning it to China..... I would like to make sure this is not regular noise.

May 9, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #754 of 805
Need advice.

Between Grado SR325is and Alessandro MS-2i which is a better match with LDI+?

I like huge sound stage/3D imaging, great separation, great detail, smooth treble and extended deep  bass...etc.

Thanks.

May 9, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #755 of 805
Need advice.

Between Grado SR325is and Alessandro MS-2i which is a better match with LDI+?

I like huge sound stage/3D imaging, great separation, great detail, smooth treble and extended deep  bass...etc.

Thanks.

Depends on what you want. Those two are like fraternal twins: not identical but very similar in many ways, the 325 is more aggressive with slightlymore bass and treble where the MS2 is more neutral in its presentation.

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #759 of 805
Hi all

I know I'm a little late to the party, as this thread has been quiet for a while. But, I've just received my I+ today, and I'm loving it straight from the box, with the stock opamp and tubes. I'm already looking at opamp rolling very soon, and eventually tubes too.

Using my AK100 mk1 -> Little Dot I+ -> AKG K550 with an Audioquest interconnect, loving how my gear is sounding.

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #760 of 805
So I got my new LD 1+ yesterday and wanted to share my first impressions with anyone who might be on the fence or simply intrigued by this capable little amplifier.

After carefully inspecting it, I plugged everything plus headphones in and left it playing music at 50% volume for an about 3 hours while it was just sitting on the table.  I'd listen to it every now and then to make sure there was no funny business going on.  No drama, happy to say.  After a few hours, I sat down to give it a good go.  Listened to a bunch of tracks that I was very familiar with - ones that I've listened to many times through my main stereo and to a lesser extent, through my RHA IEMs.  Review is based on stock 6J1 tubes and op-amp.

Appearance & feel
* The unit feels dense - nothing like cold metal and some weight to make it feel nice in your hands.  It's glossy and there's no flex, creak, or wobble when I plant it on the table.
* The AC cable that comes with it looks and feels high quality.  It's thick and looks much nicer than any power cable I've seen come standard with any audio equipment I've purchased in the past.
* Also comes with a bag with your average (cheap) RCA cables, average 1/8" to 1/4" headphone adapter, and some extra jumpers.  Very Very nice to see it come with the little doo-dads that might trip you up when you're hooking it up for the first time.
* The connections all feel solid.  The RCA jacks, the power switch, headphone jack, and volume knob doesn't move a bit when connecting cables.  Not your stereotypical cheap made-in-China piece.  The volume knob is also smooth and has some resistance to it.
* The whole thing is much higher quality than I expected it to be.

Sound with stock tubes and op-amp
* It's has a detailed sound, much more so than I expected.  I wondered if going to tubes would drastically roll off the upper treble, but it doesn't sound muffled or dull at all.  It doesn't quite have the pluckyness that I can hear through my Sony ES tho.  Hope things get a little more distinct with more mature tubes.
* Vocals are distinct and clear.  Some loud passages from intimate recordings like Norah Jones can break up a bit through my iPhone 6 and Sony ES SACD headphone jack, but it's smooth and clear through the Little Dot.  Really pleased with this.
* Bass is a miss.  The stock tubes are still very new with less than 6 hours on them so I'm hoping to hear some improvement.  As it is right now, bass is loose and bland.  Almost as if all low notes have the same texture.  Also notice that it doesn't go as low as the ES or iPhone.  Kraftwerk's The Robots has a low synth at the beginning that is very present and audible through the ES and phone, but it's hardly there through the Little Dot.  Listening to classical music, the lower octaves sounds the same, regardless of instrument it seems.  
* It's quiet.  There's no overt hiss, hum, or static coming through.  At first I detected a slight hum with no source, but that was also right after I plugged everything in for the first time.  I'm happy to say that it has a quiet noise floor (but not dead silent) after running it for a few hours.
* Overall, I'm very surprised at how good it sounded right out of the box.  I'm hoping the upper details and bass-texture improve over time, but I do have other tubes that I plan to roll soon.

So those are my immediate impressions of the Little Dot 1+.  I'll come back in a while after I've rolled the tubes and had more time with this very capable and flexible little unit.

Happy listening!

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #761 of 805
So I got my new LD 1+ yesterday and wanted to share my first impressions with anyone who might be on the fence or simply intrigued by this capable little amplifier.

After carefully inspecting it, I plugged everything plus headphones in and left it playing music at 50% volume for an about 3 hours while it was just sitting on the table.  I'd listen to it every now and then to make sure there was no funny business going on.  No drama, happy to say.  After a few hours, I sat down to give it a good go.  Listened to a bunch of tracks that I was very familiar with - ones that I've listened to many times through my main stereo and to a lesser extent, through my RHA IEMs.  Review is based on stock 6J1 tubes and op-amp.

Appearance & feel
* The unit feels dense - nothing like cold metal and some weight to make it feel nice in your hands.  It's glossy and there's no flex, creak, or wobble when I plant it on the table.
* The AC cable that comes with it looks and feels high quality.  It's thick and looks much nicer than any power cable I've seen come standard with any audio equipment I've purchased in the past.
* Also comes with a bag with your average (cheap) RCA cables, average 1/8" to 1/4" headphone adapter, and some extra jumpers.  Very Very nice to see it come with the little doo-dads that might trip you up when you're hooking it up for the first time.
* The connections all feel solid.  The RCA jacks, the power switch, headphone jack, and volume knob doesn't move a bit when connecting cables.  Not your stereotypical cheap made-in-China piece.  The volume knob is also smooth and has some resistance to it.
* The whole thing is much higher quality than I expected it to be.

Sound with stock tubes and op-amp
* It's has a detailed sound, much more so than I expected.  I wondered if going to tubes would drastically roll off the upper treble, but it doesn't sound muffled or dull at all.  It doesn't quite have the pluckyness that I can hear through my Sony ES tho.  Hope things get a little more distinct with more mature tubes.
* Vocals are distinct and clear.  Some loud passages from intimate recordings like Norah Jones can break up a bit through my iPhone 6 and Sony ES SACD headphone jack, but it's smooth and clear through the Little Dot.  Really pleased with this.
* Bass is a miss.  The stock tubes are still very new with less than 6 hours on them so I'm hoping to hear some improvement.  As it is right now, bass is loose and bland.  Almost as if all low notes have the same texture.  Also notice that it doesn't go as low as the ES or iPhone.  Kraftwerk's The Robots has a low synth at the beginning that is very present and audible through the ES and phone, but it's hardly there through the Little Dot.  Listening to classical music, the lower octaves sounds the same, regardless of instrument it seems.  
* It's quiet.  There's no overt hiss, hum, or static coming through.  At first I detected a slight hum with no source, but that was also right after I plugged everything in for the first time.  I'm happy to say that it has a quiet noise floor (but not dead silent) after running it for a few hours.
* Overall, I'm very surprised at how good it sounded right out of the box.  I'm hoping the upper details and bass-texture improve over time, but I do have other tubes that I plan to roll soon.

So those are my immediate impressions of the Little Dot 1+.  I'll come back in a while after I've rolled the tubes and had more time with this very capable and flexible little unit.

Happy listening!
+1 Agree with everything you said.

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #762 of 805
It's been a week now and I've probably run through about 20 hours of music through it.  Still on stock opamp and until last night, stock tubes.  I would say that the stock tube sounded great and got better as time went on - though I was also breaking in a new pair of headphones at the same time.  So "got better" could relate to the amp or headphones or both getting better through initial burn in. 

What I can definitely tell is how much nicer it sounded with a fresh pair of GE JAN 5654W tubes.  Right out of the box the new tubes sounded as detailed but without the harshness that the stock tubes would sometimes exhibit.

I also have a new solid state amp coming in a few days that I will compare the Little Dot 1+ up against.  After then, I'll submit my conclusive review for this enjoyable amp.

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #764 of 805
This does not have a built-in DAC.  You can go from headphone jack on a phone or PC if you don't have an external DAC by using a stereo mini-jack to RCA cable.

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #765 of 805
Anyone hooked this up to a Aune T1 mk2? Use the T1 as the DAC and LD as the amp.

Would it be worth the 130ish euros it would cost to buy?

Running off a laptop. AKG 550.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back