New HTC One M8 audio review
May 11, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #841 of 874
Okay, I'm not too proud to admit when I need help. I've been enjoying my htc m8 and Momentum 2 immensely. I love being portable directly from my phone, nothing else to charge or keep up with and still able to have true hi fidelity sound. The only thing that I needed to have portable perfection...more space for music. :D  So I bought a Sandisk 128 micro sd card. I formatted the card and added a folder called music and then loaded about 90 gigs of flac rip albums. 

But out of the 330 albums, only 34 are showing up (I use poweramp paid version). I can go into the music library and rescan but nothing happens. Sometimes it say zero and I have to rescan to get the 34 back. 

Any help is appreciated. 
Can you see, and more importantly play any of the other 296 albums from the card when in your PC / MAC?

Gut instinct tells me that is a fake card you have, but if plays on another source.................

May 11, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #843 of 874
Yes, the music will play when the msd card is connected directly to the pc and all music is visible. Oddly, I pulled up google play music and found a setting that allowed me to change the storage sound from internal to the 128 card and it seems all the music is visible and playable from there. 

I don't like the google player nearly as much but at least I can access the files from it. 

May 11, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #844 of 874
Yes, the music will play when the msd card is connected directly to the pc and all music is visible. Oddly, I pulled up google play music and found a setting that allowed me to change the storage sound from internal to the 128 card and it seems all the music is visible and playable from there. 

I don't like the google player nearly as much but at least I can access the files from it. 
Okay, this might sound silly, but from the playback screen, press the three dots (bottom right), settings, folders and library, auto find music folders, does that bring up your music?

May 11, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #845 of 874
Okay, this might sound silly, but from the playback screen, press the three dots (bottom right), settings, folders and library, auto find music folders, does that bring up your music?

Wow!!! 
eek.gif

That gave me about 220 of the 330. I appreciate your help and knowledge kind sir. 
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #846 of 874
  Okay, I'm not too proud to admit when I need help. I've been enjoying my htc m8 and Momentum 2 immensely. I love being portable directly from my phone, nothing else to charge or keep up with and still able to have true hi fidelity sound. The only thing that I needed to have portable perfection...more space for music. 
biggrin.gif
 So I bought a Sandisk 128 micro sd card. I formatted the card and added a folder called music and then loaded about 90 gigs of flac rip albums. 

But out of the 330 albums, only 34 are showing up (I use poweramp paid version). I can go into the music library and rescan but nothing happens. Sometimes it say zero and I have to rescan to get the 34 back. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Are you sure your micro sd card is genuine? There are many counterfeit Sandisk cards in the market right now.

I would use H2testw to validate the authenticity of your card. It is a simple program that will ghost-write some data packets to the card to make sure that it does, in fact, possess 128gb of storage.

Hope this helps-

May 17, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #847 of 874
There were a couple of threads on poweramp glitching a bit with sd-cards.
Uninstalling and reinstalling the app, then manually selecting the appropriate media folders seems to be doing the trick for some.
Also ensure that your sd-card is using exfat, as some users have noticed problems with fat32 on larger cards, also depending on Android version.

May 17, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #848 of 874
^^Thanks guys. I'm getting about 70% of the music on the sd card. I may try to uninstall and reinstall the app and see if that bring any improvement.

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #849 of 874
Had an unrelated issue with my HTC Desire 816, I got a Nexus 5 and then tried several other phones, none of them sounded quite as nice as the HTC. I now got the HTC One M8 and it sounds just as potent as the 816.

I can't put my finger on it but I think HTC does something different. The Nexus 5 was crispy but it didn't have the bass depth or punch of the HTC's.

It sounds like it is very slightly U shaped in a nice way. (BoomSound disabled obviously).

Just my 2 cents for new people wanting a phone with good headphone out audio.

Jul 10, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #850 of 874
i'm getting a weird volume issue now...  sometimes when am using it drops the volume down.. this is NOT the 'hearing protection' that you get after a couple hours use, where you can then turn up again... rather it drops volume 70% and only way to get it back is to retstart my music app (UAPP and Sportify)... any ideas?

Aug 25, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #851 of 874
It's a year late but yes, that drop-off is just over 20kHz. I can see how it'd look like 11 but this is a logarithmic scale. Everytime there's a wide gap the number doubles - in this case from 10 to 20kHz.

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #852 of 874

You're welcome. Personally, haven't tried rooting. But according to my friends who did (on their Sammies S3, S4 etc.) it was a hit and miss. Sometimes re-doing the Root. Reason - Games, mate... I should say it CAN work to the technically capable....
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #853 of 874

ODAC RCA + SMSL SAP-5 + HE-400S

The ODAC was detected by the HTC One M8 on Kit Kat 4.4.4. Right now I am listening to Spotify which suggests the sound output is
system-wide. This is proof of concept which opens doors to smaller usb dacs & amps.

The HE-400S sounds very nice direct to the headphone jack. Boom Sound is turned off. It's pretty decent but really shy of what the 
ODAC and amps give.

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #854 of 874
Today I had a chance to compare my old iPhone4 , friend's iPhone5s and my M8.
Headphone is Sony MA900 which is a easy load.
All three sounded identical. iPhones were equally powerful while M8 was a notch down in power. i.e. if iPhone were on 7/10 on volume, M8 was on 8/10
Tonally I think I preferred iPhones but M8 is not far off.

Oct 27, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #855 of 874
  Had an unrelated issue with my HTC Desire 816, I got a Nexus 5 and then tried several other phones, none of them sounded quite as nice as the HTC. I now got the HTC One M8 and it sounds just as potent as the 816.

I can't put my finger on it but I think HTC does something different. The Nexus 5 was crispy but it didn't have the bass depth or punch of the HTC's.

It sounds like it is very slightly U shaped in a nice way. (BoomSound disabled obviously).

Just my 2 cents for new people wanting a phone with good headphone out audio.

Interesting that you say that, that because I've seen a very serious audio review insisting the 816 sounds nothing like the M8. 

Which more than anything highlights the notion of...I don't know, manufacturing variance? That we may all hear differently? It's interesting.

I don't have an opinion either way, because while the M8 is clearly good stuff, it's just not my sweet spot. It hasn't made me as happy as all the qualitative measurements suggested I should or would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back