New HTC One M8 audio review
May 4, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #828 of 874
Hey guys,

I've got ie80 earphones playing off my HTC ONE m8.

Was thinking about getting Fiio E18 to be used as an external DAC.

Would this external dac help? or the HTC ONE m8 dac's is good enough that I will not be hearing any difference (or that much difference).

Thanks

May 6, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #829 of 874
Hi all,

Sorry if this was already answered; I searched but did not find it.

If I use a USB OTG cable to connect HTC One M8 to FiiO E17, will I need to use an app like USB Audio Play Pro to use the E17's DAC and Amp functions, or will it use both funtions with a streaming service like Tidal?

Thanks in advance

May 6, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #830 of 874
to joshk4 :I use the M7 (older one), with the E18 combo, there was more clarity in the music while giving balanced sound with wide soundstage. believe or not, my HD700 sounded brighter/energetic with the E18, though without using the E18 (although i used schiit magni 2 amp), it had less clarity while the tone was more neutral (and less soundstage). hope this helps.
though, generally, you usually spend same or less $ on amp/dac with equipments you buy.
with added bonus, E18 can drive some power hungry headphones like HD650 (though im not sure if hd650 gets max potential possible since hd650 is picky about amp/dac.) which is really neat if you need high-end headphones on the go.

May 7, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #832 of 874
Thanks Kopaz!

I ended up getting the oppo ha 2, which I've read somewhere that it helps the ie80.

I guess if the e18 is already helping you with the hd 650 with clarity and soundstage, I'm sure the oppo will help in some way to the ie80.

Will just have to sit and wait for it to come so I can test and the difference.

Thanks again!

May 7, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #833 of 874
@scarboroughfair
It supports Flac files.
I think you need an audio player called USB audio player pro and feed that through to an external dac. Unless Lollipop update to android might have allowed for this, but I'm not 100% sure.. maybe someone can help out.

May 7, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #834 of 874
@scarboroughfair
It supports Flac files.
I think you need an audio player called USB audio player pro and feed that through to an external dac. Unless Lollipop update to android might have allowed for this, but I'm not 100% sure.. maybe someone can help out.
Thank you for the fast reply.
But, what I mean is, does it "natively" support 24/192 kHz playback? Like, as what I stated, the LG G2.

May 7, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #835 of 874
I think I read somewhere that the m8 is 16bit 96khz,and the Harmon kardon is 24bit 192khz

May 7, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #836 of 874
  Hey guys,

Would this external dac help? or the HTC ONE m8 dac's is good enough that I will not be hearing any difference (or that much difference).

Thanks

M8s dac is enough.
I'm using it with some UE 900, and i have zero desire for an external amp/dac.

@ High resolution: Ignore that. If the audio playback is capable of 16bit or 24 bit, that doesnt matter anything. The DAC is not even close of good enough, to show THESE incredible small (if its even hearable !!!!) differences.
You will probably need an 200-300€ dac/amp + 400€+ headphones to find the smallest differences there.
Anything else is just placebo.

May 9, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #837 of 874
  Hey guys,

Thanks

Hey Josh, as I was also thinking of upgrading from the Shure SE 215K to the Senn ie80, how have you found the M8 + ie80 combo? Satisfied? Is the m8 OK with driving this?

I have also just nabbed a pair of V-sonic gr07 BE, looking forward to try the m8 with those.

I gotta say, the m8 is hands down the best android device I've used in regards to audio, unamped and even with stock EQ on Poweramp, it really shines.

May 9, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #839 of 874
Hey fixxxer667,

I too had the shure 215 before the upgrade to senn ie80. I must say I'm glad I did the upgrade.

I have to agree with you on M8 being one of the best android device for audio, and yes it pairs really well with ie80. Just make sure to turn of "Boom Sound" (I personally don't like it).

ie80 is only 16Ω so basically anything will drive this no problem.

May 11, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #840 of 874
Okay, I'm not too proud to admit when I need help. I've been enjoying my htc m8 and Momentum 2 immensely. I love being portable directly from my phone, nothing else to charge or keep up with and still able to have true hi fidelity sound. The only thing that I needed to have portable perfection...more space for music. 
biggrin.gif
 So I bought a Sandisk 128 micro sd card. I formatted the card and added a folder called music and then loaded about 90 gigs of flac rip albums. 

But out of the 330 albums, only 34 are showing up (I use poweramp paid version). I can go into the music library and rescan but nothing happens. Sometimes it say zero and I have to rescan to get the 34 back. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back