New HTC 10--Audio Impressions
Oct 4, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #346 of 476
Does the FIIO X5III have the same type of warm signature sound as the 10 or is it neutral?
Yes, it is considered a warm DAP. It had more detail, but very natural sounding. Velvety.

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #349 of 476
My S8 sound quality is noticeably worse and weaker than the HTC10. I miss the HTC10 sound, could have realistically kept it another year or two but I do like the S8 for other reasons. It was a tough tradeoff.

I hear ya man. The S8 is a nice phone, esp for non-audio stuff. You could always buy a DAP or else the DragonFly Black or Red too to make up for it. Your call though. That's what I would do though.

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #350 of 476
I hear ya man. The S8 is a nice phone, esp for non-audio stuff. You could always buy a DAP or else the DragonFly Black or Red too to make up for it. Your call though. That's what I would do though.

Yeah I recently got a Chord Hugo2 for portable use. It's not super portable like carry in pocket, but has been serving me well at the office, trains/flights, on my balcony, etc :p

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #351 of 476
Yeah I recently got a Chord Hugo2 for portable use. It's not super portable like carry in pocket, but has been serving me well at the office, trains/flights, on my balcony, etc :p

Oh nice! Even better! Yeah while it's not super portable, I'd still label it as portable. Yes if you're just sitting while using it then it's more than convenient.

Oct 5, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #353 of 476
I'm not sure, I just checked that it was switched off.

Ok. For me that would be a must-have.

I checked online and it APPEARS that the 2nd Gen X5 had a 10-band EQ, but the 3rd Gen only has a 5-band one. So I'd prob take the 2nd Gen one then. lol Though the 3rd Gen may have features the 2nd Gen does not probably.

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #354 of 476
Ok. For me that would be a must-have.

I checked online and it APPEARS that the 2nd Gen X5 had a 10-band EQ, but the 3rd Gen only has a 5-band one. So I'd prob take the 2nd Gen one then. lol Though the 3rd Gen may have features the 2nd Gen does not probably.
Didn't hear the 2nd gen but according to reviews the 3rd gen is a much better device sonically. And also it is an Android device, you have access to Play Store and can install any player you wish and use its EQ. You can also use streaming services, wi-fi and bluetooth.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #355 of 476
Didn't hear the 2nd gen but according to reviews the 3rd gen is a much better device sonically. And also it is an Android device, you have access to Play Store and can install any player you wish and use its EQ. You can also use streaming services, wi-fi and bluetooth.

Oh ok. Then 3rd Gen + Poweramp it is!! lol Nice!!

Yeah I'd take Wi-Fi over BT anyday. lol But most devices don't offer it. I had one that did (was $600 when I bought it), but didn't keep it too long as after comparing to wired, I could still hear a difference.

Oct 5, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #357 of 476
So we should just buy the PowerAmp APP Alpha and get on with it?
Cheers

That's up to you. There are pros and cons to getting the Alpha version vs. the official version. The official version isn't buggy and allows you to create and install settings files without issue. It also doesn't have that album art issue where after you change to another album it will at one point display the previous album's artwork instead. But it lacks the 100% volume control and also I feel it sounds A TINY TINY bit better than the official version does. Eventually those lazy F devs will get the official 3rd version deployed, but even though I was told by them they are "trying" to get it done by year's end, there's no guarantee of that. So in the end it's up to you. For me, after having the 100% volume controller, I can't go back to bigger than 1% incremental volume. But it sux knowing I'll have to recreate my EQs again b/c I can't save them (ok I can save them, but Alpha can't read the files that it ITSELF created! F'ing devs!!!! lol).

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #360 of 476
Keep it disabled.
Enabled with "Flat" sounds the same but the EQ it's still in the processing chain which adds a load to your phone's resources.
"Flat" is there to quickly compare between some EQ curves and none.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back