New HTC 10--Audio Impressions
Jul 14, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #317 of 476
I have stopped using poweramp on HtC10. Only using USB player Pro now. It is a much better interface and experiences all around. I also have stopped using Onkyo player app. Don't know about Neutron, never tried, but from the look of it interface....too complicated

Jul 14, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #318 of 476
It's on vacation!!!
Doesn't work. Crashes app. Developer lazy. Promised new version one year ago. Live without hi-res for now. All else good.

Last I talked to Alex the main Dev, he said they are shooting to have it out by the end of this year. Yeah, I stopped using it b/c it crashed WAY too often. They are kinda lazy lol......... I agree there too. It's been like 3-4 years since the last version, if not longer. Version 3 needs to COME OUT!

Honestly, the Hi-Res output IMO just makes it louder, not any better sounding. The main reason I keep using Alpha 704 is the 100% volume option, which lets you adjust the volume in 1% INCREMENTS, vs. the usual 5-7% increment crap. Makes it a lot easier to find the RIGHT volume for each song.

Jul 14, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #321 of 476
I have stopped using poweramp on HtC10. Only using USB player Pro now. It is a much better interface and experiences all around. I also have stopped using Onkyo player app. Don't know about Neutron, never tried, but from the look of it interface....too complicated

I'll try it out but not sure I'll like it more than Poweramp. lol May have tried it out already...........not sure?

Oct 3, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #322 of 476
Can anyone explain me one thing... Why music is so much louder and maybe better quality when I switched from default Google Play Music to Poweramp? I'm listening to FLAC music using Boomsound custom personal audio profile without Dolby. I did not change the Poweramp settings (latest alpha version 704). Is it louder and bassier because DVC is enabled or something else? Maybe poweramp use the full potential of sound hardware? Do I have to change other Poweramp settings to get better sound? Lets be clear, I'm getting much better sound on Poweramp on default settings in comparison with Google Play Music. Thanks guys!

I'm using Marshall Monitor headphones.

Oct 3, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #323 of 476
Can anyone explain me one thing... Why music is so much louder and maybe better quality when I switched from default Google Play Music to Poweramp? I'm listening to FLAC music using Boomsound custom personal audio profile without Dolby. I did not change the Poweramp settings (latest alpha version 704). Is it louder and bassier because DVC is enabled or something else? Maybe poweramp use the full potential of sound hardware? Do I have to change other Poweramp settings to get better sound? Lets be clear, I'm getting much better sound on Poweramp on default settings in comparison with Google Play Music. Thanks guys!

I've been wondering that for YEARS Windforce lol..............

There are some other great music apps as well, but to me, Poweramp is the best sounding AND easiest to use. It also is one of the few apps that comes with a TEN-band EQ, which to me is vital.

Yeah which options you have enabled or disabled in Poweramp's Settings will definitely have an influence on the end sound. But even without, Poweramp just sounds better and louder than most others.

Yes that's possible that it uses more of the full potential of the sound hardware than the other apps do.

I definitely believe that using the EQ makes a vast difference. I myself have tried either leaving EQ off or using the "Rock" EQ preset, but having the EQ off (which is the same as using "Flat") makes the sound too weak IMO. The "Rock" preset is fine for listening in the car but on my headphones (Meze 99 Classics), I created a custom EQ based off the "Rock" preset, and that gave me an even more finely-tuned sound that better matched up with the sound signature of my 99 Cs. I detail that in my review of the 99 Cs as well as include screenshots for anyone interested. I had a custom one as well for my old AKG K551s too that a friend on here helped create for me. I love Poweramp too cuz it lets you create the custom EQs and save them in a file that you can transfer to another phone in the future w/o having to recreate it.

Oct 3, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #324 of 476
I've been wondering that for YEARS Windforce lol..............

There are some other great music apps as well, but to me, Poweramp is the best sounding AND easiest to use. It also is one of the few apps that comes with a TEN-band EQ, which to me is vital.

Yeah which options you have enabled or disabled in Poweramp's Settings will definitely have an influence on the end sound. But even without, Poweramp just sounds better and louder than most others.

Yes that's possible that it uses more of the full potential of the sound hardware than the other apps do.

I definitely believe that using the EQ makes a vast difference. I myself have tried either leaving EQ off or using the "Rock" EQ preset, but having the EQ off (which is the same as using "Flat") makes the sound too weak IMO. The "Rock" preset is fine for listening in the car but on my headphones (Meze 99 Classics), I created a custom EQ based off the "Rock" preset, and that gave me an even more finely-tuned sound that better matched up with the sound signature of my 99 Cs. I detail that in my review of the 99 Cs as well as include screenshots for anyone interested. I had a custom one as well for my old AKG K551s too that a friend on here helped create for me. I love Poweramp too cuz it lets you create the custom EQs and save them in a file that you can transfer to another phone in the future w/o having to recreate it.

Can you tell me which app can play 24bit 96khz files by default? I see Poweramp is having some problems playing them. Oh nooooooooooooo :frowning2:

Oct 3, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #325 of 476
Can you tell me which app can play 24bit 96khz files by default? I see Poweramp is having some problems playing them. Oh nooooooooooooo :frowning2:

Not sure. But to be honest, it doesn't matter because we can't really hear the difference anyway, unless you're talking mp3s. But any format (even AAC) above that will sound the same. When I enabled Hi-Res Output on Poweramp all it did was make the sound a little louder. But the Alpha 704 version (which is the same one I have) gets REALLY buggy when that's enabled. So I just leave it off. In between the Personal Audio Profile w/o Dolby (I have same set up, it's the best IMO!), and the HTC 10's POWERFUL headphone amp, I really don't need the extra volume. The ONLY reason Hi-Res albums sound better than CDs and especially mp3s is b/c they are given the BEST masters (or remasters) vs. CDs and mp3s. So just play your songs as is and go from there. But I would recommend trying to custom EQ your Poweramp to the sound signature of your headphones, if possible. Or else just use "Rock" I guess if you don't want to.

If you want more info on Hi-Res and these formats and conversions, see an old post of mine about all this here (ignore 1st part about Walkman and last part about iBasso). I updated the post a few times since first putting it up.

Also, this fantastic article details why the 10's audio is so incredible vs. other smartphones. You should def check out the headphone section for sure, and esp the parts in bold.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #326 of 476
Not sure. But to be honest, it doesn't matter because we can't really hear the difference anyway, unless you're talking mp3s. But any format (even AAC) above that will sound the same. When I enabled Hi-Res Output on Poweramp all it did was make the sound a little louder. But the Alpha 704 version (which is the same one I have) gets REALLY buggy when that's enabled. So I just leave it off. In between the Personal Audio Profile w/o Dolby (I have same set up, it's the best IMO!), and the HTC 10's POWERFUL headphone amp, I really don't need the extra volume. The ONLY reason Hi-Res albums sound better than CDs and especially mp3s is b/c they are given the BEST masters (or remasters) vs. CDs and mp3s. So just play your songs as is and go from there. But I would recommend trying to custom EQ your Poweramp to the sound signature of your headphones, if possible. Or else just use "Rock" I guess if you don't want to.

If you want more info on Hi-Res and these formats and conversions, see an old post of mine about all this here (ignore 1st part about Walkman and last part about iBasso). I updated the post a few times since first putting it up.

Also, this fantastic article details why the 10's audio is so incredible vs. other smartphones. You should def check out the headphone section for sure, and esp the parts in bold.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Of course I will try custom EQ tomorrow. Thanks for all the informations! I'm playing 24bit 44.1KHZ FLAC files but you are saying that there is no need to use Hi-Res output because it is sounding the same as 16bit output. Are there any special options to pay attention to? For now it is more than enough on default settings after Google Play Music app... Thanks again

Oct 3, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #327 of 476
Of course I will try custom EQ tomorrow. Thanks for all the informations! I'm playing 24bit 44.1KHZ FLAC files but you are saying that there is no need to use Hi-Res output because it is sounding the same as 16bit output. Are there any special options to pay attention to? For now it is more than enough on default settings after Google Play Music app... Thanks again

Cool. You're welcome!!

Yeah. We can't hear the difference. Dogs and bats, yeah, not humans. lol

Umm, in Poweramp? Since you have 704 Alpha, I definitely recommend enabling the 1% volume increment option. Go to Settings........Audio.......Advanced Tweaks.......Volume Levels (Experimental), and change it to 100. Each time you push the volume buttons, instead of jumping 5-10% (etc) each time, it will only adjust in 1% increments, making it MUCH easier to adjust your sound to the PERFECT volume. Honestly if it wasn't for this NOT being available on the regular version of Poweramp, I would just go back to that. I hate that this Alpha version will let you save your Settings as a file but it can't read the file later. F'ing developers need to hurry the F up and finish Version 3 already! lol They told me via e-mail it should be out by the end of the year, but who knows with those guys. SO slow.

I leave DVC off cuz I don't feel I need it. Also, I checked the "Volume Panel" box cuz I like that volume screen more than the default one. But up to you.

Yeah forget about Google Play Music. lol It doesn't even have an EQ lol

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #329 of 476
Sad but true. I wish I could hear better than a good quality mp3. I like to keep everything at CD quality so I'm positive I'm not missing anything. Just in case.

That's why I downsample all my CDQ and Hi-Res tracks to AAC (320-512 kbps CBR), b/c that's next-gen mp3 or mp4. Statistically people can't tell the difference. Those that do I don't believe. Either they're lying or they THINK they're hearing more b/c they know the Hi-Res one is a bigger file. The cutoff they say is 256 kbps AAC, so just to be extra safe I go a bit higher than that with 512 (I had some in 320 done already, but I'm not gonna worry about those). AAC is lossy but it's SO close to FLAC/ALAC and since again we can't tell the difference, then why use a bigger format that takes up more space and uses more battery power play? F that. lol

I even did my own blind ABX tests on my PC and failed ALL of them lol AAC or FLAC vs. mp3, yeah, a difference can be heard in most cases. The two biggest tell-tale signs I've noticed is 1) When comparing mp3's bass levels to AAC or FLAC etc, the bass many times sounds weak. Same song in AAC or FLAC (etc), I many times have noticed more bass, esp the DEEP bass. 2) In many cases (again, it all depends on the bit rate and quality of encoding, etc.) when listening to mp3, I noticed that cymbals can take on a "wet" sound, where it sounds like they're immersed in water or had just been splashed just before being played. Doesn't sound good. As you go lower than 320 kbps mp3, esp below 192, you will hear that "wet" sound overcome the entire track. MP3s SUCK and need to die already. lol With the super high speed bandwidths and modems we have nowadays, and the most vast amounts of cloud storage space we have as well, we can do better. And 512 kbps CBR AACs take up only a LITTLE more than their mp3 counterparts do too.

Oct 4, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #330 of 476

Yes, DVC makes all the difference. Louder and crisper. With DVC off Poweramp sounds virtually the same as GPM on flat. And yes the EQ is very well implemented in Poweramp. Other EQs including the native Android one muddies the sound when EQ-ing for a bit more bass. Poweramp handles it much better. Anyway lately I don't use EQ anymore because I found my sweet spot in sound signature for portable - the Momentum 2.0. And I also tested the FiiO X5 III and find it much better than HTC 10 (stage, separation, detail). I wish I had spent the money on it instead of buying the HTC...
About Hi-Res in Poweramp with HTC 10: I definitely heard a difference between playing the same hi-res file with hi-res enabled vs disabled, but I don't know if it's a different processing or lack of it that makes the sound a bit cleaner and wider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back