New HTC 10--Audio Impressions
Oct 4, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #331 of 476
Yes, DVC makes all the difference. Louder and crisper. With DVC off Poweramp sounds virtually the same as GPM on flat. And yes the EQ is very well implemented in Poweramp. Other EQs including the native Android one muddies the sound when EQ-ing for a bit more bass. Poweramp handles it much better. Anyway lately I don't use EQ anymore because I found my sweet spot in sound signature for portable - the Momentum 2.0. And I also tested the FiiO X5 III and find it much better than HTC 10 (stage, separation, detail). I wish I had spent the money on it instead of buying the HTC...
About Hi-Res in Poweramp with HTC 10: I definitely heard a difference between playing the same hi-res file with hi-res enabled vs disabled, but I don't know if it's a different processing or lack of it that makes the sound a bit cleaner and wider.
What about Rocket Player?

Oct 4, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #332 of 476
Last time I used it, 2 years ago with Nexus 4 - at some point with the new interface it became buggy. Didn't use it since.
Also take a look at the new Onkyo HF Player and new HibyMusic.
Onkyo now supports folder play and it has a great EQ. But it doesn't support cue sheets.
New Hiby also improved, 10-band EQ but doesn't save profiles.
I always return to Poweramp Alpha and UAPP.

Oct 4, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #333 of 476
Yes, DVC makes all the difference. Louder and crisper. With DVC off Poweramp sounds virtually the same as GPM on flat. And yes the EQ is very well implemented in Poweramp. Other EQs including the native Android one muddies the sound when EQ-ing for a bit more bass. Poweramp handles it much better. Anyway lately I don't use EQ anymore because I found my sweet spot in sound signature for portable - the Momentum 2.0. And I also tested the FiiO X5 III and find it much better than HTC 10 (stage, separation, detail). I wish I had spent the money on it instead of buying the HTC...
About Hi-Res in Poweramp with HTC 10: I definitely heard a difference between playing the same hi-res file with hi-res enabled vs disabled, but I don't know if it's a different processing or lack of it that makes the sound a bit cleaner and wider.

The issue I had with DVC was, I used to leave it on and it was fine, but I found that on random songs it would make them distort sound "staticky" like crazy. It's been an issue on HTC phones for some time, but I think it can happen on other phones as well. So I just leave it off. I don't agree that it sounds with it off if you use EQ and Personal Profile as well.

Also, the FiiO X5 III is a great DAP, but I mean, it's also a $400 DAP. lol I would've guessed it was gonna sound better than the HTC 10. But when I compared my 10 to my old $300 Oppo HA-2 amp/DAC, I found that it MATCHED (if not outdid?) that device, and that was pretty shocking b/c my Oppo was incredible. Even in volume it pretty much matched it too. I no longer wish to play music off a different device than my smartphone, so for me, I plan to continue getting smartphones with great audio like the 10, and upcoming LG V30 as well. So I have absolutely NO regrets in my buying my 10.

I compared the Hi-Res Output option in Poweramp using several songs with it on and off, and each time I only noticed a volume change. Making something louder doesn't always make it better. Most mp3s are louder than most Hi-Res tracks, but you can't hear a lot of the details in the mp3s b/c of that super high volume (and crappy EQ'ing).

Oct 4, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #334 of 476
If phone support Hi-Res music why we don't have apps for that right out of the box? Samsung play all that music files with zero problems using their own Samsung Music app. Is there application that can reproduce raw music files without any filters, EQ and other things that modifies original music source? That is what I need. I don't need tons of options. Thanks

Oct 4, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #335 of 476
If phone support Hi-Res music why we don't have apps for that right out of the box? Samsung play all that music files with zero problems using their own Samsung Music app. Is there application that can reproduce raw music files without any filters, EQ and other things that modifies original music source? That is what I need. I don't need tons of options. Thanks

LOLLLLLLL Samsung? Don't get me started on OVERRATED Samsung Wind. lol I owned the S5 and the S7 (also S7 Edge for a couple weeks). S7............the audio quality on that phone was ABYSMAL. Saying it was awful would be too nice. The call quality was complete TRASH too, and that was WITH HD Voice. The speakers rendered drum sounds like shots from a laser gun! They're like the worst-rated phones for audio. Plus if that wasn't enough, the S7 had a bug in its MicroUSB driver, so when I'd connect my Oppo HA-2 amp/DAC through it, it would cause "skips" in my music every 3-5 minutes. I had that phone for 4 mos, and I couldn't WAIT to get rid of it after 2-3 weeks. lol Only kept it to wait for new Sony and HTC phones that were coming out soon. I hope now that they bought Harman Kardon (which also owns AKG) that they'll improve that, but as of yet, I've read nothing to indicate that they've improved anything.

Ok back to your question lol................I think I already answered this earlier, but DON'T WORRY about playing "Hi-Res" music. Just worry that the player and the phone are built with QUALITY parts, including audio tech. LIKE the 10. lol If you or someone you know gets a phone that isn't like this, then just buy a solid amp/DAC like the AudioQuest DragonFly Black or upgraded Red, and be done with it. lol

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #336 of 476
LOLLLLLLL Samsung? Don't get me started on OVERRATED Samsung Wind. lol I owned the S5 and the S7 (also S7 Edge for a couple weeks). S7............the audio quality on that phone was ABYSMAL. Saying it was awful would be too nice. The call quality was complete TRASH too, and that was WITH HD Voice. The speakers rendered drum sounds like shots from a laser gun! They're like the worst-rated phones for audio. Plus if that wasn't enough, the S7 had a bug in its MicroUSB driver, so when I'd connect my Oppo HA-2 amp/DAC through it, it would cause "skips" in my music every 3-5 minutes. I had that phone for 4 mos, and I couldn't WAIT to get rid of it after 2-3 weeks. lol Only kept it to wait for new Sony and HTC phones that were coming out soon. I hope now that they bought Harman Kardon (which also owns AKG) that they'll improve that, but as of yet, I've read nothing to indicate that they've improved anything.

Ok back to your question lol................I think I already answered this earlier, but DON'T WORRY about playing "Hi-Res" music. Just worry that the player and the phone are built with QUALITY parts, including audio tech. LIKE the 10. lol If you or someone you know gets a phone that isn't like this, then just buy a solid amp/DAC like the AudioQuest DragonFly Black or upgraded Red, and be done with it. lol
I know about Samsung but they at least have music player which can reproduce all music file types. I must find something without tons of experimental things enabled by default and that is it yay!

Oct 4, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #337 of 476
I know about Samsung but they at least have music player which can reproduce all music file types. I must find something without tons of experimental things enabled by default and that is it yay!

The Sony Walkman/Music app can do that too. I find it to be a VERY close second to Poweramp IF you use the "Soul" EQ preset.

Good luck. lol I've tried the rest and I still think Poweramp is the best overall. But Neutron is great too as are a few select others.

Oct 4, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #339 of 476
How can I use Sony app on HTC?

Not sure you can. Can u use the Samsung one though?

Try out Neutron. It has a Hi-Res Output feature I believe. Also maybe check out jetAudio, n7player, etc. n7player has a 10-band EQ as well (not sure on jet) as does Neutron, so yeah check 'em out. Not sure if other 2 have Hi-Res Output though, but again, who cares? lol

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #340 of 476
Poweramp alpha is the best sounding player I have used.It has a warmer sound signature which has great synergy with the 10 and my V Moda 100.UAPP is to bright and fatiguing compared to Poweramp alpha.

Oct 4, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #342 of 476
Also, the FiiO X5 III is a great DAP, but I mean, it's also a $400 DAP. lol I would've guessed it was gonna sound better than the HTC 10.
The difference was BIG. Not just subtle. I was surprised, that's why I had the feeling that I would better bought The X5 III. I payed the exact same money for the HTC 10 as the price of the FiiO. And I wanted to change my phone specifically for better audio quality.
The improvement over my old Nexus 6P was very evident with the HTC 10, but between the 10 and the Fiio is even more evident. The sound is much wider and deeper, effortless and detailed. I was so intrigued that I looked in the FiiO settings for some DSP, Dolby or some enhancement. There was nothing like that. Only the hardware processing.
Don't get me wrong the HTC 10 still IS a very good phone, in all departments, but man... I was surprised with the X5 III, maybe because I didn't listen to any DAP of that rank before.

Oct 4, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #343 of 476
The difference was BIG. Not just subtle. I was surprised, that's why I had the feeling that I would better bought The X5 III. I payed the exact same money for the HTC 10 as the price of the FiiO. And I wanted to change my phone specifically for better audio quality.
The improvement over my old Nexus 6P was very evident with the HTC 10, but between the 10 and the Fiio is even more evident. The sound is much wider and deeper, effortless and detailed. I was so intrigued that I looked in the FiiO settings for some DSP, Dolby or some enhancement. There was nothing like that. Only the hardware processing.
Don't get me wrong the HTC 10 still IS a very good phone, in all departments, but man... I was surprised with the X5 III, maybe because I didn't listen to any DAP of that rank before.

Yeah but the big difference there is that the money you paid for the FiiO was ALL on the audio, where the 10 is a multi-functional smartphone.

Well I'm not gonna judge the FiiO X5 III as I've listened to the X7 but that was very brief and was a while ago too. I'll take your word for it, but the point is the money spent on the FiiO was all on audio and nothing else. Maybe with it being a 3rd gen player and a newer player it's got some features that weren't around 1 1/2 years ago when HTC was finalizing the 10. I'm glad though that you're so happy with the sound.

Oct 4, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #344 of 476
Does the FIIO X5III have the same type of warm signature sound as the 10 or is it neutral?

Oct 4, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #345 of 476
Maybe I wasn't clear enough, I didn't buy the FiiO X5 III, just tested it. I'm still with the HTC 10. Maybe sometime in the future I'll buy a proper DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back