New HTC 10--Audio Impressions
Jul 4, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #181 of 476
  I am using Neutron by now. There are things I don't understand about its output, but looks like it use hi-res as well (declaring 32-bit output since Android 5.0+). Though not sure. Forum isn't very informative. Neutron gives more energy to the drums section and less neutral than Poweramp in my opinion, but no errors. Be aware: no 30-50-100 steps volume control by keys and make right volume by slider is not easy task, interface is less friendly, also can't show embedded art in files, no art searcher, etc. Still it produces good sound.

I agree on some things you've said. I really wanted to like neutron, but it's just not that 'user friendly'. And I know that,  a lot of people seemed to be 'overwhelm' in the settings on Poweramp but it is a lot friendly and organized. On the other hand, Neutron feels scattered and upfront (which makes it more intimidating to newbies) or at least in my opinion, making it harder to change certain settings. Also, this might be an isolated case but I'm having scrolling issue with Neutron as it lags quite a lot.

Aesthetically speaking, if someone wants a music player based on looks; black player gets my vote. But, I still find its setting quite streamlined to the point that you are contained on that settings only, which can upset a lot of tinkers. While Poweramp is a great all-rounder and quite balanced too, it has quite the aesthetic look of black player and customibility (if that's even a word lol) of Neutron player. I think advanced users can appreciate Neutron player more though as it is quite 'forward' like I said than those 2 players mentioned. 

Jul 4, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #182 of 476
People ears are different. Audio profile is just to compensate it. Make volume 40-50% and tune your profile. When I made profile at 60% I got it flat. But at 50% I got more bass and less highs because I am still sensitive to highs and my IEMs are little bright. The only thing I want is more bands for tuning Audio profile EQ. Like 10. Good thing it's different for each ear.

Besides all that there are different iems, I'm using the originals Quadbeat from my Optimus G and love it. Always using volume somewhere between 50~60%. But, without the grills at the sound exit the highs got pretty pronounced and while tunning the EQ on Jet Audio I found that it better to use the same EQ curve in lower levels then increase the preamp to improve things.
What I'm saying is that with so many variables including adjustments, ears, iems each one has to find the best kit to go with.

Sent from my Optimus G using Tapatalk

Jul 4, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #183 of 476
I've not read the whole thread, but I have to say:

The HTC 10 is killing it! 

I've owned, a Samsung S3, S4, HTC 8, HTC 9. All tried with a Fiio E17 with an OTG-cable.
I recently bought, and have now tried the HTC 10 excessively. 

This is subjective, but I think the amplifier has more output, (it packs more punch than both the m8 and m9).
And the DAC is really making the difference here, things sound more separated, and more detailed. 
Compared to the phones mentioned above, voices are now clear, whilst previously in a demanding track vocals would suffer. I could actually hear some lyrics I didn't even know before.

I've tested the HTC 10 on Denon AH-D5000, and Sennheiser Momentum 2.0.
I think's it's made for the latter, as if it was a reference in testing; although the Denon sounds "better", the Momentum packs more punch and sounds more "fun", in lack of a better word.

Read this:
http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-10-audio-testing-boomsound-evolved

Jul 4, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #184 of 476
  I've not read the whole thread, but I have to say:

The HTC 10 is killing it! 

I've owned, a Samsung S3, S4, HTC 8, HTC 9. All tried with a Fiio E17 with an OTG-cable.
I recently bought, and have now tried the HTC 10 excessively. 

This is subjective, but I think the amplifier has more output, (it packs more punch than both the m8 and m9).
And the DAC is really making the difference here, things sound more separated, and more detailed. 
Compared to the phones mentioned above, voices are now clear, whilst previously in a demanding track vocals would suffer. I could actually hear some lyrics I didn't even know before.

I've tested the HTC 10 on Denon AH-D5000, and Sennheiser Momentum 2.0.
I think's it's made for the latter, as if it was a reference in testing; although the Denon sounds "better", the Momentum packs more punch and sounds more "fun", in lack of a better word.

Read this:
http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-10-audio-testing-boomsound-evolved

Are you trying to say that HTC 10 headphone out is better than Fiio E17 connected through the above mentioned phones ?

Jul 5, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #185 of 476
I think so, yes. But the comparison was towards the phones without the fiio.

If I was to compare the htc 10 vs the fiio, I'd say the fiio sounds neutral, and and unenthusiastic. My ears tend to like a warm sound, with some punch. The fiio fatigues my ears and strike me as to bright, and neutral sounding.

That's my opinion, you should listen yourself. I've also tried the momentum on essence stx, and it's a better match with the htc 10.

Jul 5, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #186 of 476
The audio in the HTC 10 is really noteworthy. It has great punch and clarity. Some feel it is warm, but I think it depends on your profile setup. Great power and clarity!

Jul 5, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #187 of 476
Agree. I am sold to punch of HTC 10. The drums section sounds amazing, with a lot of energy and well articulated. Heavy genres and blues now more fun. Especially after boring sound of LG G2.
I think warm sound produced only by synergy of DAC/AMP, headphones and player. With my ATH-IM03 and Neutron/Poweramp 3 I find it quite neutral. Some people tends take cold bright sound as neutral.

Aug 20, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #195 of 476
I should have clarified. I meant that the DX100 still sounds better than the HTC (deeper bass, better layering, more depth). But this should not be surprising in any way.

The HTC has great sound for a phone, but doesn't quite blow me away, so I am considering selling it now, since my current phone serves my needs adequately.

Also, are you all listening to the HTC with or without the Dolby/Boomsound EQ? Not sure what it's called but there's an on/off switch in the settings. I turned it off because I thought it was exaggerated and annoying. All it does is inflate the bass/highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back