New HTC 10--Audio Impressions
May 23, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #97 of 476
  With factors of price, battery and audio, should I get an xperia z5 or an htc 10? I heard the htc 10 has no dedicated DAC and I heard the z5 sounds great aswell.

Android Central confirmed that the HTC 10 does have a dedicated DAC

May 23, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #98 of 476
Android Central confirmed that the HTC 10 does have a dedicated DAC

I'm a bit sceptical about this to be honest. The teardown of the HTC 10 on Taobao found no evidence of a dedicated DAC. Also, I'd be surprised if there was a dedicated DAC and HTC weren't mentioning it in their marketing, especially in China. I'm looking forward to comparing the HTC 10 and Vivo XPlay 5 anyway.

May 23, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #99 of 476
I'm a bit sceptical about this to be honest. The teardown of the HTC 10 on Taobao found no evidence of a dedicated DAC. Also, I'd be surprised if there was a dedicated DAC and HTC weren't mentioning it in their marketing, especially in China. I'm looking forward to comparing the HTC 10 and Vivo XPlay 5 anyway.

I'm surprised that they haven't touted that also, but the measurements of the output for the phone seem about equivalent to the V10, and the subjective reviews I've read are putting it in that league too, and that kind of quality seems unlikely just using the on-board Qualcomm DAC

And Android Central is generally pretty trustworthy.

May 23, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #100 of 476
I'm thinking about purchasing the htc 10 unlocked to avoid all the bloat ware (tmobile) and for those of you who went that route, are there any disadvantages? Also, does the phone include the charger and usb cable. The USA htc reseller doesn't mention this. Thanks.

The only gotcha is that the included USB A - USB C cable is a USB 2.0 cable.  If you want USB 3 speeds, you'll need a new A-C cable.  I got this 5 pack http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B634WNK should be here today.

May 24, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #103 of 476
Hey everyone can the htc 10 drive dt880 250 ohms and he400i's Or would the lg v10 be better choice?

I dont think there is any smartphone that can properly drive 250 ohm headphones (and up) to loud levels.I tried My dt770 250ohm and my sennheiser hd580 with my htc 10.They both need powerful amps and did not get that kind of power from the 10.They both got low to moderate listening levels.Though the dt770 250ohm sounded louder and more efficient then the hd580.The dt770s did sound good coming from the 10.Just not loud enough.

May 24, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #104 of 476
I dont think there is any smartphone that can properly drive 250 ohm headphones (and up) to loud levels.I tried My dt770 250ohm and my sennheiser hd580 with my htc 10.They both need powerful amps and did not get that power from the 10.They both got to moderate listening levels.Though the dt770 250ohm sounded louder and more efficient then the hd580.

That matches my findings too. I tried the HTC 10 with my Sennheiser HD650's. There is not enough power to drive them at all well. As the volume is increased they just start sounding congested and not very nice at all. 

The HTC 10 is a great audio player but stick to portable headphones and iems.

May 24, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #105 of 476
I experimented by setting us some audio profiles using the tone option. I discover you can "cheat" by just clicking the settings you wish, rather than what you can hear. Using this method, I was able create a variety of different profiles. Each created profile is shown displayed above the stock sound and one can A-B compare the two.

The profiles sounded so good, it was hard to pick which one I wanted use use! This feature makes it really easy to create one's desired profile for different phones.

The sound is absolutely stunning with all IEM's I own. Later today I will give a listen to how well the 10 and AQ Nighthawks pair.

It is hard to believe that this sound quality is coming from a PHONE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back