New HTC 10--Audio Impressions
Oct 17, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #422 of 476
The soundstage in LG is narrower or bigger than HTC 10? With is more detailed, pure, clear with better separation of instruments and with is more fun an musically?

When I compared my HTC 10 to the LG V20 last year (Jan 2017), I could NOT tell a difference on any of those things. I will say though that the HTC phones tend to have a bit more bass sound (aka, warmer sound) to them natively than the LG phones. In my car, I had to always adjust the bass down lower than I do now with my current V30.

Oct 17, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #423 of 476
I will have to get used to the smaller bass. And when I changed from close back Meze 99 to Akg k812 open back, I missed the bass at the beginning but maybe htc did not drive the open back Akg well. With Meze bass was massaging my ears with a lot of loudness on smaller volume level. With Akg sometimes I had volume level at the end on my HTC 10 and I fell that isn't as well as could be...
Despite this open back have normally less bass.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #425 of 476
I will have to get used to the smaller bass. And when I changed from close back Meze 99 to Akg k812 open back, I missed the bass at the beginning but maybe htc did not drive the open back Akg well. With Meze bass was massaging my ears with a lot of loudness on smaller volume level. With Akg sometimes I had volume level at the end on my HTC 10 and I fell that isn't as well as could be...
Despite this open back have normally less bass.
What settings you use in your HTC 10?

I have always personalization tests on and dolby on, type of headphones I used "other" when I'm using a big headphones.

Well just b/c the LG phones aren't as "warm" sounding as the HTC ones doesn't mean you can't still EQ according to your tastes. The LG can render bass just as well if EQ'd properly. I custom EQ my Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro headphones (and really all my recent ones that I'd owned) to get them to sound their very magical best! Without EQ, they sound really good, but they're not at their full potential.

I even used to EQ my old 99 Classics. Same EQ I use now for my DT 1770. It sounds weird, but I've used the same EQ over my last like 5-6 headphones, and it always makes it sound better than No EQ or "Rock" preset in Poweramp.

Yeah AKG tends to be more neutral than most other companies, Meze included.

On my HTC 10? I sold it off a year ago for my current LG V30. I do recall disabling the Dolby thing, but I did enable Boomsound for headphones. Other than that, I primarily use my Poweramp app for all music listening, or else Pandora or Spotify for previewing albums or casual listening off my phone speakers (like when I'm putting away laundry lol). Poweramp comes with a 10-band EQ ftw, and also lots of customizing options for sound, as well as the option to save your settings AND custom EQs so you can transfer them to other people's phones or over to new phones you buy in the future. Awesome UI too! They've been on V2 forever but anyday now V3 is gonna come out and it has LOTS of newly added features, including an updated and really nice looking UI. I've been using a beta version of V2 lately and it's really cool lookin'.

Oct 17, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #426 of 476
What settings you use in your HTC 10?

I have always personalization tests on and dolby on, type of headphones I used "other" when I'm using a big headphones.

Yeah I used BoomSound personalization but kept Dolby OFF. Just didn't like how it sounded when enabled. And yeah "other" is fine for headphones. The LG V30 doesn't have that stuff, but it does have 2 digital filters to choose from when DAC is enabled (which is only possible when you have headphones etc plugged into the 3.5mm jack). My preferred settings for that is:

Sound Preset - Enhanced
Digital Filter - Sharp

I feel this combo gives me the most natural sounding tone. Not sure if the V40 will be any different in terms of options though.

Oct 17, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #427 of 476
I'm using Google Play music player. Recently I test uapp and I think play less loud than Google Play music player but the same sound. I test neutron recently too and play much louder, defult settings, only 64 bit on. But I think sound is less dynamic and a little bit more compressed I don't know how to explain, more V shape? I must compare on my Meze also I compare on Akg open back.

Oct 17, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #428 of 476
I'm using Google Play music player. Recently I test uapp and I think play less loud than Google Play music player but the same sound. I test neutron recently too and play much louder, defult settings, only 64 bit on. But I think sound is less dynamic and a little bit more compressed I don't know how to explain, more V shape? I must compare on my Meze also I compare on Akg open back.

Google Play? Oh dom, you could do SO much better man. lol

UAPP is fantastic too, though I slightly prefer Poweramp's UI over it. If Poweramp didn't exist though, most likely I'd be using UAPP, or else like Neutron or Jet prob.

To me they all play loud enough. EQ'ing will add volume as well. Poweramp has an option in its audio settings called "DVC" (Direct Volume Control). I keep it enabled. It essentially adds a nice volume BUMP (or increase) to your sound, so keep it in mind if you get Poweramp. In the past it has been known to cause distortion, but I only had that happen I think on my old M8.

Yeah that's fine, compare all ya like! lol

If you change your mind about custom EQ'ing, let me know and I'll send you custom EQs to use on your Meze. This would be just for "listening for fun", not for any studio recording or mastering, though it may not be bad there too. Not sure. Better to consult a studio engineer about that stuff.

Again, I change the name of the EQs to whatever new headphone I get, but I've been using the same ones (main one + I have 4 other versions of it with bass-only variations) for a while now and it always sounds awesome.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #429 of 476
Super thank you. I install Poweramp too when I get LG. And I test your settings. And ask for help with aux trick (non external device will be needed?)

I listen only in dolby mode, maybe if I listen disable this function I would change my mind. I thought that if personalization ear test was made than EQ isn't needed.

BTW some people say that smartphone isn't for hi fi, other that HTC 10 or LG V30 have DAC's on the same level that 1000 $ DAC's. I don't know, but I like have everything on one device.

BTW I read few minutes ago that B&O tuning are mess with bass and isn't clear and people don't like it. I think LG wants to eliminate that or Swedish company make own smartphones:

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #430 of 476
I read on this forum a minute ago, that Samsung Galaxy S9+ has better audio quality than HTC 10. S9+ is more detailed, separation of instruments are better, and is AKG tuned is this all true?

People write that LG V30 is for hi impedance headphones. I have low impedance (36 ohms) open back Akg k812 headphones...

Oct 18, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #431 of 476
Lg V40 is to much cost for me a while ago I have proposition from my operator...

They offer me:
LG MG710EM G7 ThinQ

Is this a regular full version and audio full version?

I may do aux trick on this for 100% sure? It is safe, or only programist option or something like this?

Lg V30 is older but price is the same, little above, little, why?

Battery in V30 is 3300 but stronger G7 have 3000 is this will be fine? Htc 10 has 3000.

Please help... and post higher aboute Samsung...

Oct 18, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #432 of 476
Super thank you. I install Poweramp too when I get LG. And I test your settings. And ask for help with aux trick (non external device will be needed?)

I listen only in dolby mode, maybe if I listen disable this function I would change my mind. I thought that if personalization ear test was made than EQ isn't needed.

BTW some people say that smartphone isn't for hi fi, other that HTC 10 or LG V30 have DAC's on the same level that 1000 $ DAC's. I don't know, but I like have everything on one device.

BTW I read few minutes ago that B&O tuning are mess with bass and isn't clear and people don't like it. I think LG wants to eliminate that or Swedish company make own smartphones:

I read on this forum a minute ago, that Samsung Galaxy S9+ has better audio quality than HTC 10. S9+ is more detailed, separation of instruments are better, and is AKG tuned is this all true?

People write that LG V30 is for hi impedance headphones. I have low impedance (36 ohms) open back Akg k812 headphones...
Lg V40 is to much cost for me a while ago I have proposition from my operator...

They offer me:
LG MG710EM G7 ThinQ

Is this a regular full version and audio full version?

I may do aux trick on this for 100% sure? It is safe, or only programist option or something like this?

Lg V30 is older but price is the same, little above, little, why?

Battery in V30 is 3300 but stronger G7 have 3000 is this will be fine? Htc 10 has 3000.

Please help... and post higher aboute Samsung...

Wow..............you sure ask a lot of questions dom! lol

Ok:

YW! Yes get Poweramp. I can even link you my settings file and you can then download it and import it to your Poweramp so you'd have my settings too, including all my custom EQs (which you can try out on your Meze, etc).

You don't need an external device for the Aux Trick, but you will need a special adapter. Same goes if you want High Impedance Mode (which is the loudest). But if your headphones are all below like 80-100 ohms, then Aux should be fine. Since now I know you're not getting the V40 (which MAY NOT need any tricks to change amp mode), I'll tell you that to successfully implement the Aux Trick, you will need to get an adapter JUST like this: a 6-inch 3.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapter cable. Once you have the phone, I'll explain the rest. It's pretty simple actually.

Yeah turn Dolby off. lol Well even if you do personalization, that isn't necessarily enough to get the perfect sound. At least not for me anyway.

I feel that yes, that is correct. MOST smartphones, REGARDLESS of price, don't include high quality DACs and amps. It's just how it is. LG and HTC (and ZTE Axon) are the exceptions really. I think they can compete with many top amp/DACs. The V20 and HTC 10..............I compared them to my old $299 Oppo HA-2 premium amp/DAC, and I found they BOTH were able to match the high quality sound of my Oppo. So I then sold it off after about 1 1/2 years of using it.

I dunno. I know people on here who LOVE the B&O sound. (And BTW, B&O is DANISH, not Swedish. So disregard what I said earlier.) I owned the 2nd Generation H6, and it sounded amazing! It just had ear pads that were too small, so I sold it. My friend bought it cuz of my recommendation, and he returned or sold his off as well cuz had same issue. But I guess the new H9i has bigger ear pads, but also has noise-cancelling which I hate cuz it diminishes sound quality. The H9i is $500 b/c it's BT and NC, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you needed those as my SUPERIOR Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro can be found for even cheaper now, at least on U.S. Amazon. But if someone thought the 1770 was too bad, I might recommend the H9i but say to keep it with cable not wireless, though some may not be able to tell the difference. And of course NC off. The Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 is awesome too at this price level, though not sure if better than H9i or not as I've listened to MJ2 but not H9i.

That B&O concept phone looks INCREDIBLE btw! lol I might want that, though I'd have to see about both camera quality and price. But everything else sounds spectacular!

The S9+ better than the HTC 10? BIG maybe there. Even if you're referring to the international/non-U.S. Exynos-based Samsungs, which actually DO include a high quality DAC by Cirrus Logic (used to use Wolfson), I don't know all that for sure. The U.S. Snapdragon-based Galaxy phnoes don't have that extra DAC, but instead use the integrated and lower quality DACs found on the Snapdragon chips. So maybe the Exynos S9+ is better, esp if tuned by AKG? Maybe. But the thing is, I've read nothing that shows AKG has done any tuning on the phone yet. Maybe for the speakers and also the earphones, but not the phone itself. So I'm skeptical there.

The LG V30 etc has settings as I'd mentioned for all levels of impedance, so ignore that.

Yes dom, as I'd mentioned before, the G7 has the Quad DAC. It just isn't tuned by B&O. But honestly I wouldn't worry about all that, esp if you can get it for a great deal. Yes, the Aux Trick is VERY safe.

Well V30 is older but it's still a more expensive phone.

V30 has the best battery life (when new at least) vs. G7 and HTC 10. G7 has better battery life than 10.

Oct 18, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #433 of 476
Thank very very much :)

I may get LG V30 for the same money as G7 in my offert. I thought that G7 is better (specification say that) but V30 is a little bit more expensive, but I may get them for the same money... Why? V30 is better in other than battery aspects? Maybe cost much because of B&O?

Oct 18, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #434 of 476
Thank very very much :)

I may get LG V30 for the same money as G7 in my offert. I thought that G7 is better (specification say that) but V30 is a little bit more expensive, but I may get them for the same money... Why? V30 is better in other than battery aspects? Maybe cost much because of B&O?

You are welcome!

Well the G7 has the newer Snapdragon processor (845), where the V30 has the 835. The G7 also has more RAM as well, and various other differences. See here for a complete list. For me, the battery life factor is a big deal, and the difference here is sizable. Though if you're ok with enabling Battery Saver, that will help the G7 a lot. Now that my V30 is a year old, I find myself enabling Battery Saver more often when I know I'm gonna be out and about (and unable to charge my phone for several hours).

Yeah the V30 has the better battery life over the G7 and also B&O certification since you're gonna buy the int'l/non-U.S. version, though again I don't know if that really matters much at all.

I would look over that comparison carefully to get a full idea of what's what. When it comes to battery life ratings, I trust GSM Arena over all others b/c of the more unique way they do their battery life tests.

Oct 18, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #435 of 476
I will go probably to G7 because of processor. But in my country both have 64gb/64gb ram

If I could't find adapter exactly what you say may I buy one of this two? With will be better quality? I must have adapter with doesn't colorize sound like monster guitar cables, I use for my guitar planet waves American Stage, wery transparent...

https://www.thomann.de/pl/pro_snake_tpa_1003_bk.htm

https://www.ceneo.pl/8526416

Users who are viewing this thread

Back