New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Dec 11, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #5,912 of 6,017
Quote:
Hi, I'm a semi-basshead (teen), and I just need someone to confirm that these do NOT do well in a dorm setting because of the leakage/unportability (I will be walking around campus with these). Thanks.

Mad Dog with a portable amp would offer the isolation that you need :)

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #5,913 of 6,017
Quote:
Hi, I'm a semi-basshead (teen), and I just need someone to confirm that these do NOT do well in a dorm setting because of the leakage/unportability (I will be walking around campus with these). Thanks.

They leak more than they play music to your ears. So if you wanna be a super hipster then this is the headphone.

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #5,914 of 6,017
Just got a new pair of HE400s from Head Direct after returning the used pairs that came defective from Kraft Street Audio. These are great headphones!

I wouldn't change anything about them except the length of the cable...I really don't need 3 meters of cable. That said, would it be possible to cut the stock cable to about 1.5m and reterminate it? Sorry, I don't know anything about DIY cabling...

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #5,916 of 6,017
Quote:
Just got a new pair of HE400s from Head Direct after returning the used pairs that came defective from Kraft Street Audio. These are great headphones!
I wouldn't change anything about them except the length of the cable...I really don't need 3 meters of cable. That said, would it be possible to cut the stock cable to about 1.5m and reterminate it? Sorry, I don't know anything about DIY cabling...

You certainly could. I made my own cable though because I like to leave the stock stuff intact.

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #5,919 of 6,017
If you are within your 1-yr warranty then you can send it in for replacement.

I HIGHLY doubt they will release any rev.4 though. Rev 2 has no issues, and Hifiman guys have already repeatedly stated that they have absolutely zero reason to further revise HE400. What you get now is most likely going to be identical to what you get 2 years from now.

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #5,920 of 6,017
Well, no sonic issues, but QC still needs work.

"Rev. 4" should be improved connectors so that they stop having problems with one of the sides cutting off, as well as bundling the HE400 with velours from now on, like on set of pleather, and one set of velour, instead of two sets of pleather... hopefully velours that are as soft as the old Hifiman velours.

Ooh, maybe even non-glossy Blue.

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #5,921 of 6,017
Quote:
Well, no sonic issues, but QC still needs work.

That applies to all their cans though, I mean they also have issues with more advanced headphones like HE500 in terms of impedance balance or bass balance on rare cases. Also some inconsistencies in headband/extender symmetry which could cause imbalanced clamping pressures / adjustment angles.

A lot of kinks to iron out.

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #5,922 of 6,017
I wonder how long HiFiMAN will continue to use the same appearance for their headphones. I mean, sure, they sound great and are strictly for home use, but it would be nice to have something prettier to look at for the few seconds prior to putting them on :D

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #5,923 of 6,017
Quote:
I wonder how long HiFiMAN will continue to use the same appearance for their headphones. I mean, sure, they sound great and are strictly for home use, but it would be nice to have something prettier to look at for the few seconds prior to putting them on :D

Just close your eyes during those few seconds, problem solved 
tongue.gif

Dec 12, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #5,925 of 6,017
I would not suggest a silver cable for this headphone. It has enough brightness without a silver cable. Maybe with a hp that is dark across the board. This hp was tuned for copper and that's where I think it sound best. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back