New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Nov 6, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #5,326 of 6,017
Quote:

Well..cars can be cool..i bought a new one last year and had been upgrading him also gradually.. But my 3 hobbies are nowhere as expensive as my girlfriend..thats my most expensive hobby..hahaha
cool.gif

So what kind of girlfriend did you get? Easy to drive? Laid back? Bright? :wink:  

(Hmm. I guess girls and headphones share alot of common ground)

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #5,327 of 6,017
So what kind of girlfriend did you get? Easy to drive? Laid back? Bright? :wink:  

(Hmm. I guess girls and headphones share alot of common ground)

All of the above.. Hahaha. :D

Nov 6, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #5,329 of 6,017
Quote:
If one side is working, unscrew the cable going to that side and screw it into the other... see if the driver is fine.  If that works on the previously quiet side, the cable is the problem.  I assume hifiman will replace it, I haven't dealt with their warranty yet personally :)

Thanks, I tested this out and it the "quiet" driver started working. I guess it really is a cable problem. Thanks for your help! :)

Besides getting a new one from HiFiMan, would buying one made from someone else work as well? (i.e. toxic cables) I really want a shorter cable...

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #5,330 of 6,017

Yeah, I have a few quieter fans that I have installed in it so it's not that bad. Even than the fans on my sli 670's are louder than the case fans so it doesn't really matter. Gonna go water cooled soon though so that should help alleviate some of that.
Yeah, water cooling is my next step on this machine. Want to push my 2500k passed 5Ghz, stuck at 4.8Ghz from thermal issues right now but I know it's stable passed there, just way to hot.
Nice, here's what I got right now.
http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/3229179
[/quote]

Hey guys..maybe offtopic..but i uploaded some pics of my work n progress uber pc with the first water circle complete...enjoy the pics. :D

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #5,331 of 6,017
Quote:
Thanks, I tested this out and it the "quiet" driver started working. I guess it really is a cable problem. Thanks for your help! :)

Besides getting a new one from HiFiMan, would buying one made from someone else work as well? (i.e. toxic cables) I really want a shorter cable...

should be fine.  I'd still send just the cable back though and ask for a new one just so you have the (working) stock cable you're entitled to.

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #5,332 of 6,017
Quote:
should be fine.  I'd still send just the cable back though and ask for a new one just so you have the (working) stock cable you're entitled to.

Maybe even haggle off a silver cable from HeadDirect lol.

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #5,333 of 6,017

I would suspect you should be able to get a cable no cost to you no problem if you let them know what's wrong.

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #5,334 of 6,017
Wow, is this thread dying?

I'll up the thread then by my report..

Just got the HE-400 back from the rev 3 issue and boy was I glad to have them back!
biggrin.gif

Plugged it in to hear some tunes and straight away swapped the leather pads with the velours and they sound as great as when I bought them, heck it even sounds more smoother actually!
beyersmile.png

Also kind of off topic: I did auditioned an LCD rev 2 at the same time I picked up my replacement HE-400 and I don't know if it's just me but I really prefer the sound of the HE-400 somehow. The amp in the store was an Eximus so I don't know if its a synergy problem with the LCD 2.. The song I was listening was jazz with female vocals, in LCD-2 , the vocal seems to spread as if it was in my head meanwhile the HE-400 had a sound image that the vocal is singing right in front of me. But I'm not gonna comment on the bass of LCD-2, it is really an extended and deep quality bass compared to HE-400 (not by far). Just my 2 cents tho..

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #5,335 of 6,017
It's not dying, there's two active threads. They should be merged!

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #5,336 of 6,017
Quote:
Wow, is this thread dying?

I'll up the thread then by my report..

Just got the HE-400 back from the rev 3 issue and boy was I glad to have them back!
biggrin.gif

Plugged it in to hear some tunes and straight away swapped the leather pads with the velours and they sound as great as when I bought them, heck it even sounds more smoother actually!
beyersmile.png

Also kind of off topic: I did auditioned an LCD rev 2 at the same time I picked up my replacement HE-400 and I don't know if it's just me but I really prefer the sound of the HE-400 somehow. The amp in the store was an Eximus so I don't know if its a synergy problem with the LCD 2.. The song I was listening was jazz with female vocals, in LCD-2 , the vocal seems to spread as if it was in my head meanwhile the HE-400 had a sound image that the vocal is singing right in front of me. But I'm not gonna comment on the bass of LCD-2, it is really an extended and deep quality bass compared to HE-400 (not by far). Just my 2 cents tho..

I have a feeling that the superb subbass of Audezes might be due to the great seal that its adhered pads have with the head. This is evident because if I run a 25 Hz sinewave tone through the HE400s, it responds well, but if I even lift the cups off my ears by a few millimetres, the tone suddenly disappears. This might mean that if the Hifiman pads are sealed better, like how Audeze does their pads, the subbass extension will be close~equal.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #5,337 of 6,017
Quote:

I have a feeling that the superb subbass of Audezes might be due to the great seal that its adhered pads have with the head. This is evident because if I run a 25 Hz sinewave tone through the HE400s, it responds well, but if I even lift the cups off my ears by a few millimetres, the tone suddenly disappears. This might mean that if the Hifiman pads are sealed better, like how Audeze does their pads, the subbass extension will be close~equal.

Probably, although the great isolation comes at a price. The pads were so tight that I felt pain in the part between the ear and my cheekbones. The discomfort probably made me not focus on the sound its producing.

Quote:
It's not dying, there's two active threads. They should be merged!

+1

If it was merged, we could have had about 500+ pages already here..

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #5,338 of 6,017
Quote:

based on the FR graphs alone, the LCD's do have a better response in the far sub-bass region.  i've only demoed the LCD2's and although i feel they sounded slightly better overall than my HE400's if we factor price into it the 400's are drastically superior!

i do agree with you on the "seal" of the cups...i also notice that positioning on my head can make quite a difference in the sound.  i've ordered some velour pads to try (i'm using the pleather that came with) but overall i'm not dissatisfied at all with the bass from my 400's,

IMO in this level of headphone I don't want a "basshead" can i want good response over the spectrum, which i strongly feel the 400's are providing...

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #5,339 of 6,017
^^ I would agree with you here. The lcd is truly special in terms of it's bass reproduction, but it comes at a rather special price. For my money, the he400 delivers sub bass impact and texture that has no equal at this price point. 

And the velours pads are a must for this hp. If you are formulating your opinion of them based on the pleather pads, then please give them a listen with the velours. You might be surprised.  
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back