New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Nov 5, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #5,296 of 6,017
Quote:
I think the whole Lyr thing is coming back to haunt me. When I saw the listing, there were only 3 views and I very well could've bought both the Bifrost and Lyr, I guess I should've...

At the prices he was selling those at, you cant debate on it, just buy it or it will be gone. 
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #5,298 of 6,017
My he-400 is on the way <3 (Customs clearance processing complete) ~ It is 1am over here, i guess i will get it either tomorrow or on wed. 

Now i am looking around for below $200 solution for an amp or a possible amp/dac combo~ little dot mk-3, e17 and nfb 15.1 are among those that caught my eye. My local jaben advice me to take at least a ibasso D12 but i do not want to spend so much lol

edited: Just found Audinst HUD-mini + MUSE8820 OPAMP / HiFi USB Audio DAC too for $137 + free shipping

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #5,299 of 6,017
Quote:
My he-400 is on the way <3 (Customs clearance processing complete) ~ It is 1am over here, i guess i will get it either tomorrow or on wed. 

Now i am looking around for below $200 solution for an amp or a possible amp/dac combo~ little dot mk-3, e17 and nfb 15.1 are among those that caught my eye. My local jaben advice me to take at least a ibasso D12 but i do not want to spend so much lol

edited: Just found Audinst HUD-mini + MUSE8820 OPAMP / HiFi USB Audio DAC too for $137 + free shipping

For a little bit more you can get a O2+ODAC for less than $300.

Nov 5, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #5,300 of 6,017
Quote:
At the prices he was selling those at, you cant debate on it, just buy it or it will be gone. 
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Yeah this set of dac/amp deals is similar in calibre to something else I saw a few weeks ago, a nearly mint HE500 being sold for $350 (less than a new HE400s lol). That was gone in minutes also. There are probably professional deal snipers on this forum.

Nov 5, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #5,302 of 6,017
Quote:
Gotta travel with iem's!! 

[size=10pt]Recently I found [/size][size=10pt]Sony MH1C ([/size][size=10pt]cheap IEM) that sounds almost similar to HE-400, believe me it is almost similar IMHO, I have tried quite a few full size and IEM and IMO MH1C is best cheap alternative for HE-400 on go.[/size]

[size=10pt]Below you find ClieOS comments and also link to buy cheap. [/size]
[size=10pt]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CCSD7K/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00[/size]
[size=10pt]I got it for 19$ few days back, already 27.90$[/size]

[size=10pt]Warm and sweet, and well balanced in all frequencies. Bass extends down to 10Hz and hits with really good quantity and quality. Not the fastest or biggest impact around, but nothing to be ashamed of even among bass monster. Mid is sweet and right in the butter zone to give the right balance of intimacy and texture while still maintains a good sense of layer and space. Treble extends up to the very top, but it is more about smoothness than it is brightness[/size]

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret

[size=medium]http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-htc-rc-e190-samsung-ehs64-sony-mh750-added-nov-4th-2012[/size]

Nov 5, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #5,303 of 6,017
Quote:

[size=10pt]Recently I found [/size][size=10pt]Sony MH1C ([/size][size=10pt]cheap IEM) that sounds almost similar to HE-400, believe me it is almost similar IMHO, I have tried quite a few full size and IEM and IMO MH1C is best cheap alternative for HE-400 on go.[/size]

[size=10pt]Below you find ClieOS comments and also link to buy cheap. [/size]
[size=10pt]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CCSD7K/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00[/size]
[size=10pt]I got it for 19$ few days back, already 27.90$[/size]

[size=10pt]Warm and sweet, and well balanced in all frequencies. Bass extends down to 10Hz and hits with really good quantity and quality. Not the fastest or biggest impact around, but nothing to be ashamed of even among bass monster. Mid is sweet and right in the butter zone to give the right balance of intimacy and texture while still maintains a good sense of layer and space. Treble extends up to the very top, but it is more about smoothness than it is brightness[/size]

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret

[size=medium]http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-htc-rc-e190-samsung-ehs64-sony-mh750-added-nov-4th-2012[/size]

Yeah, these have been hyped up quite a bit on the portable forums. Of course I would take my friend's pair right after he got them, and I can't really say that the sound sig is similar. They lean more towards the HD650 side of the spectrum. Remember that the HE-400s have a much leaner sound relative to most other planars, and this quickness of note along with the highly dynamic presentation just isn't there with the Sonys. The upper-mids/lower treble isn't recessed as well. If there ever was an IEM that sounded similar to the HiFiMANs though, the PFE232 would be it in terms of note presentation, although the mids are more recessed and the 2-5kHz area is more prominent. 

Nov 5, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #5,304 of 6,017
Quote:

Yeah, these have been hyped up quite a bit on the portable forums. Of course I would take my friend's pair right after he got them, and I can't really say that the sound sig is similar. They lean more towards the HD650 side of the spectrum. Remember that the HE-400s have a much leaner sound relative to most other planars, and this quickness of note along with the highly dynamic presentation just isn't there with the Sonys. The upper-mids/lower treble isn't recessed as well. If there ever was an IEM that sounded similar to the HiFiMANs though, the PFE232 would be it in terms of note presentation, although the mids are more recessed and the 2-5kHz area is more prominent. 

[size=medium]HD650 bass do not extent and mids are more forward than the low feq, MH1C bass really go deep and create (little) rumble just like HE-400. I really did like bass with smooth mids, but cannot comment on treble as yet because mine is just a day old, need to put these on cooker for 200 hrs or so...[/size]

Nov 5, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #5,305 of 6,017
Quote:

[size=medium]HD650 bass do not extent and mids are more forward than the low feq, MH1C bass really go deep and create (little) rumble just like HE-400. I really did like bass with smooth mids, but cannot comment on treble as yet because mine is just a day old, need to put these on cooker for 200 hrs or so...[/size]

The pair I listened to had ~50 hours in, if that makes much difference. The smooth midrange into treble transition was what reminded my of the HD650s at first. That sub-bass extension is not just limited to the HE-400s, so aside from that, I couldn't hear much similarities. For what it's worth, I though they had comparable bass extension to my W4s, and thrashed my Etys. 

They are very good for the money...okay, astonishing for the money would be a better way to put it, but the design and build is just...bleh. I used the version with the mic/remote compatible with iDevices as well, and they didn't work all that properly with the iTouch. Otherwise HD650 fans would be pleased.

And now, back to the HE-400s!

Nov 5, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #5,307 of 6,017
Quote:

The pair I listened to had ~50 hours in, if that makes much difference. The smooth midrange into treble transition was what reminded my of the HD650s at first. That sub-bass extension is not just limited to the HE-400s, so aside from that, I couldn't hear much similarities. For what it's worth, I though they had comparable bass extension to my W4s, and thrashed my Etys. 

They are very good for the money...okay, astonishing for the money would be a better way to put it, but the design and build is just...bleh. I used the version with the mic/remote compatible with iDevices as well, and they didn't work all that properly with the iTouch. Otherwise HD650 fans would be pleased.

And now, back to the HE-400s!

you try them over the ears, comfort will not longer would be an issue...yes back to HE-400. No more posting on Sony stuff...

Nov 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #5,308 of 6,017
Well just received the headband that people were talking about on here last week, while I didn't have any issues myself with the comfort it does feel better than before. Just note that it is a tight fit at each end but they all snap in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back