New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Oct 25, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #5,042 of 6,017
Tried to follow all that Rev 3 thing, because I'm one of those unlucky, who managed to buy this notorious headset. But there is too much unrelated posts, so main question remains:

Has anyone done direct comparison between new fixed drivers (rev 3.5), and old good rev 2, could anyone confirm them sound same?

I know head-direct assures me that they reverted back to the rev 2 drivers, but I don't actually trust them anymore. I choose darker sounding headset to avoid fatiguing treble, and got *this* headphones, with sibilants unseen before. That was pretty mean from head-direct to say the least. As for me if you do any changes in sound of headphones, give them unique name, to avoid confusion.

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #5,043 of 6,017
Oct 25, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #5,044 of 6,017
Quote:
Tried to follow all that Rev 3 thing, because I'm one of those unlucky, who managed to buy this notorious headset. But there is too much unrelated posts, so main question remains:

Has anyone done direct comparison between new fixed drivers (rev 3.5), and old good rev 2, could anyone confirm them sound same?

I know head-direct assures me that they reverted back to the rev 2 drivers, but I don't actually trust them anymore. I choose darker sounding headset to avoid fatiguing treble, and got *this* headphones, with sibilants unseen before. That was pretty mean from head-direct to say the least. As for me if you do any changes in sound of headphones, give them unique name, to avoid confusion.

If I remember correctly, jerg should have got his replacement units by now... Also looking forward the impressions whether it is essentially the same as the old rev 2 or there are some changes sonically

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #5,045 of 6,017
Quote:

If I remember correctly, jerg should have got his replacement units by now... Also looking forward the impressions whether it is essentially the same as the old rev 2 or there are some changes sonically

It's the same, sonically. I've had my replacement for several days now and after some burn-in, it reminds me exactly of how my old rev2s sounded - tactile slightly laid-back mids, and a very detailed and sparkly (and importantly, without the awful ringing issue) treble.

You can actually distinguish between rev2 and rev3.5 (however you wanna call these "fixed" post-rev3s) visually, rev2 is a slightly translucent white driver, while rev3.5 is much more translucent (almost see-through).

older rev2s:

newer rev2 aka rev3.5s:

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #5,049 of 6,017
Just bought the Hifi man HE-400 from a member in Headfi, and it's here.
First listening with O2/ODAC, I am OMG!!!!
The best bass I have ever heard (better than close Mad Dog w Dog Pad) instrument separation is the best. Best can I have ever had. 
My question, I have seen people here pairing with Fiio E17. Can you please tell me what to expect for downgrading from O2/ODAC? This headphone is for my sister so I have to buy another amp for her.
Thank you for reading.

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #5,051 of 6,017
Quote:
Just bought the Hifi man HE-400 from a member in Headfi, and it's here.
First listening with O2/ODAC, I am OMG!!!!
The best bass I have ever heard (better than close Mad Dog w Dog Pad) instrument separation is the best. Best can I have ever had. 
My question, I have seen people here pairing with Fiio E17. Can you please tell me what to expect for downgrading from O2/ODAC? This headphone is for my sister so I have to buy another amp for her.
Thank you for reading.

I dont have an odac but I had a desktop amp and the Fiio E17 , and i must say it is not a downgrade in my opinion, I love how it drives my HE 400's and wouldn't trade it or sell it for the world, the Fiio is a "fun" amp, because it lets you EQ the treble and the bass to suit your preferences, and I personally love playing classical music at +4 bass , some of the heavier orchestral instruments just sound insanely good :)  

So i would say expect good quality sound, Not as cold or precise as the odac combo , but nonetheless it is a great pairing for the 400's IMO 

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #5,052 of 6,017
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for suggesting this plugin, Electri-Q did not work for HE-400 while it did great job with D2K....I miss E17 hardware EQ

can you please give me link to download plugin v 0.37.....I am not able to find one.

This should provide you all you need.  The link to download and other information about the release is on this page: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_xgeq

Thanks wje,

head-if bug has seriously infected you, posting at 5:30 AM

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #5,053 of 6,017
Had some issues with my pair of rev2 where I experienced some faint rattling in the left ear.
I couldn't figure out the cause, so I gave up and sent them in for replacement (they offered a full replacement instead of a repair).

Looks like I'll have some time away from the he-400 for a little while.

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #5,054 of 6,017
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for suggesting this plugin, Electri-Q did not work for HE-400 while it did great job with D2K....I miss E17 hardware EQ

can you please give me link to download plugin v 0.37.....I am not able to find one.

This should provide you all you need.  The link to download and other information about the release is on this page: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_xgeq

Thanks wje,

head-if bug has seriously infected you, posting at 5:30 AM

But he gave you exactly right link. Thank you very much

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #5,055 of 6,017
Quote:
That's interesting. On the other thread, we were told they simply reverted back to "Rev 2." But you're right Jerg, this is a completely new structure. Not really "Rev 3.5" - more like "Rev 4."

Yeah, I don't like calling them "Rev 3.5", would not want them being related to the problem drivers.

I would prefer to call them "Rev 2.5" (since they sound the same as rev 2, but look different) or the new name of "Rev 4".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back