New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Oct 26, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #5,056 of 6,017
Or simply just the HE-400. This revision unofficial naming is idiotic. Looks like Hifiman is gonna keep this last version for a good while, so it should just be known as the HE400. The faulty revisions have been replaced, and should only be named as such. FAULTY HE400.

Oct 26, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #5,057 of 6,017
Quote:
Or simply just the HE-400. This revision unofficial naming is idiotic. Looks like Hifiman is gonna keep this last version for a good while, so it should just be known as the HE400. The faulty revisions have been replaced, and should only be named as such. FAULTY HE400.

+1

Oct 26, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #5,058 of 6,017
Quote:

The only faulty revisions that have been replaced are the ones owned by people who are regulars here or truly discriminating owners who detected something wrong on their own. I am certain there are many still out there.

Oct 26, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #5,059 of 6,017
Quote:

The only faulty revisions that have been replaced are the ones owned by people who are regulars here or truly discriminating owners who detected something wrong on their own. I am certain there are many still out there.

I think MLE is simply advocating that we don't come up with our own "revision" numbers and simply label the bad batch (Formerly known as "Rev 3")  for what it is : "Faulty", "Yellow plastic dud", etc. Fang also tried to stress this, because they don't respond to any of the labels we attach to their products and giving them official sounding names might get confusing real fast.

Oct 26, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #5,060 of 6,017
Exactly. There was nothing official about it being Revision 3 or whatever. It's just something you guys came up with here. It'd make more sense being called the HE-400 w/sandy yellow grills or what have you. Rev. 3 sounds OFFICIAL, which it never was.

I'm actually considering getting the HE-400 again. I miss them. Either that or get the HE-4 again. I miss those two, and I finally have another amp that can power them. I just need to remember if the bass was stronger or weaker. That single sided planar was some good shizz.

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #5,061 of 6,017
You're something else.  
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #5,062 of 6,017
I am. I hate myself. This place... it kills me. About to pull the trigger on the HE-4...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #5,063 of 6,017
Quote:
I am. I hate myself. This place... it kills me. About to pull the trigger on the HE-4...
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--

Can you take some photos of the HE-4 driver once you get it? I'm quite interested in seeing how the single-sided magnet driver design is done with em.

Edit: nvm google search has some results of that.

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #5,064 of 6,017
They should be here Tuesday, though knowing Amazon, I expect them here on Monday.

From memory, the HE-4 has a slower, lingering bass than the HE400 (I actually want that), and similar treble. They're quite similar, though the HE400 is a little darker and more natural sounding. I'm more interested in the HE-4 for the bass, as the HE-400 didn't have enough for me, and I remember the HE-4 having somewhat similar bass to the DT990, though we'll soon see. I think the mids are a little more recessed than the HE400. So overall, the HE-400 is definitely more appealing to the head-fi crowd, while the HE-4 appeals more to V-shaped fans (which I happen to be). It was like a DT990 with less screech in the treble, and more warmth. So basically, the HE-4 is to the HE-400, as the DT990 is to the DT880.

In a perfect world, I'd own both.

For everyone else to see how the HE-4's innards look...

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #5,066 of 6,017
Quite a few people still sell them, including Head-Direct. They may just be selling off whatever is left. Got mine from Kraft Street Audio aka Audio Advisor. Got the from the KSA listing as it's fulfilled by Amazon.

I wonder if it's gonna have the old Hifiman crate (wish they still had these for the HE400), braided cables (loved them), and oh god, the horrible plastic teeth on the old velours... lol. Guess I'm not removing those pads until I absolutely have to.

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #5,067 of 6,017
Quote:

I dont have an odac but I had a desktop amp and the Fiio E17 , and i must say it is not a downgrade in my opinion, I love how it drives my HE 400's and wouldn't trade it or sell it for the world, the Fiio is a "fun" amp, because it lets you EQ the treble and the bass to suit your preferences, and I personally love playing classical music at +4 bass , some of the heavier orchestral instruments just sound insanely good :)  

So i would say expect good quality sound, Not as cold or precise as the odac combo , but nonetheless it is a great pairing for the 400's IMO 

Sounds good.
I will definitely buy it.

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #5,068 of 6,017
Quote:
They should be here Tuesday, though knowing Amazon, I expect them here on Monday.
From memory, the HE-4 has a slower, lingering bass than the HE400 (I actually want that), and similar treble. They're quite similar, though the HE400 is a little darker and more natural sounding. I'm more interested in the HE-4 for the bass, as the HE-400 didn't have enough for me, and I remember the HE-4 having somewhat similar bass to the DT990, though we'll soon see. I think the mids are a little more recessed than the HE400. So overall, the HE-400 is definitely more appealing to the head-fi crowd, while the HE-4 appeals more to V-shaped fans (which I happen to be). It was like a DT990 with less screech in the treble, and more warmth. So basically, the HE-4 is to the HE-400, as the DT990 is to the DT880.
In a perfect world, I'd own both.
For everyone else to see how the HE-4's innards look...

If you're a v-fan, why on earth have you owned very non-V headphone I can think of? :p

Quote:
Quite a few people still sell them, including Head-Direct. They may just be selling off whatever is left. Got mine from Kraft Street Audio aka Audio Advisor. Got the from the KSA listing as it's fulfilled by Amazon.
I wonder if it's gonna have the old Hifiman crate (wish they still had these for the HE400), braided cables (loved them), and oh god, the horrible plastic teeth on the old velours... lol. Guess I'm not removing those pads until I absolutely have to.

I think the only headphone that doesn't come with the "crate" at this point is the 400 and 300.  I could be wrong on that.

The old pads...its a shame I actually like the velour and the internal padding on the old pads more than the new ones.  A lot more.  But the plastic teeth and the exposed glue just ruined them...

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #5,069 of 6,017
Well my fave headphones were V shaped...

M50
D7000
Pro 900
DT990 (all flavors)
ES7
HE-4
CAL
XB700
DT770 Pro 80
Pro 2900
UE500

The HE-400 is my second fave overall (after the D7000), and they too are V shaped, just not as much as typical v-shaped cans. You got me on the Q701 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back