New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Oct 24, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #5,026 of 6,017
Quote:
[size=medium]They do not have mid bass hump, but upper midrange sounds little hollow (may be 3-4 db) going from HD650 to HE-400…I have Lyr but not willing to play with tubes to fix this issue…[/size]

[size=medium]Recently I found iphone app Accudio by Goldenears.net, this app is cool…it is the best EQ app I used till date, can EQ to fix hollowed mids of S4i without making them muddy, great app to tweak those curves.[/size]

[size=medium]Coming back to HE-400, I wonder if can buy a separate hardware EQ component which could be used with Lyr and bifrost, [/size][size=medium]something like XPS->bifrost->Hardware EQ->Lyr->HE-400[/size]

[size=medium]Please suggest[/size]

There's a trillion and one stereo 15 band, stereo 32-band (huge), mono 32-band (need 2, huge) analog EQs from pro audio companies like BBE, Behringer, etc.  There's digital EQs like my DEQ that go before the Bifrost (optical, not coax though), and of course software EQ that's basically the same thing if you're using a PC or can find something suitable for the iPhone.  Unlimited EQ options are out there depending on what you want to spend. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #5,027 of 6,017
They do not have mid bass hump, but upper midrange sounds little hollow (may be 3-4 db) going from HD650 to HE-400…I have Lyr but not willing to play with tubes to fix this issue…

Recently I found iphone app Accudio by Goldenears.net, this app is cool…it is the best EQ app I used till date, can EQ to fix hollowed mids of S4i without making them muddy, great app to tweak those curves.

Coming back to HE-400, I wonder if can buy a separate hardware EQ component which could be used with Lyr and bifrost, something like XPS->bifrost->Hardware EQ->Lyr->HE-400

Please suggest

I have the HD650 right now and I'm thinking of Moving to the he400. Could you compare the 2?

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #5,028 of 6,017
Quote:
Quote:
They do not have mid bass hump, but upper midrange sounds little hollow (may be 3-4 db) going from HD650 to HE-400…I have Lyr but not willing to play with tubes to fix this issue…

Recently I found iphone app Accudio by Goldenears.net, this app is cool…it is the best EQ app I used till date, can EQ to fix hollowed mids of S4i without making them muddy, great app to tweak those curves.

Coming back to HE-400, I wonder if can buy a separate hardware EQ component which could be used with Lyr and bifrost, something like XPS->bifrost->Hardware EQ->Lyr->HE-400

Please suggest

I have the HD650 right now and I'm thinking of Moving to the he400. Could you compare the 2?

Matt has already shared his expert observations

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631682/he400-vs-hd650#post_8776615

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #5,029 of 6,017
Quote:
There's a trillion and one stereo 15 band, stereo 32-band (huge), mono 32-band (need 2, huge) analog EQs from pro audio companies like BBE, Behringer, etc.  There's digital EQs like my DEQ that go before the Bifrost (optical, not coax though), and of course software EQ that's basically the same thing if you're using a PC or can find something suitable for the iPhone.  Unlimited EQ options are out there depending on what you want to spend. 

I did try VSTHost with few plugins and was not happy with the result.....did like onboard Realtek EQ, they repond must better...but do not work with USB or SPDIF out...DEQ looking intersting will check out...Thanks

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #5,030 of 6,017
Quote:
Quote:

Don't overthink this one. E17 is all the hardware EQ that you need for the he400. But this works best docked with the e09 and not with the lyr.

Yes Matt, I understand but want to try an EQ that work with Lyr

Oct 24, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #5,031 of 6,017
Quote:

Matt has already shared his expert observations

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631682/he400-vs-hd650#post_8776615

I do what I can to try to help the people. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #5,033 of 6,017
Anyone know how long it takes for Head-Direct to ship from their facility from China? I placed my order 2 days ago and they said they were out of stock in the US. Still waiting to ship according to their site.

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #5,036 of 6,017
Quote:

You're supposed to get the HE-400 before the HE-6
biggrin.gif
  Moving down-stream from crazy priced flagships to affordable gear is never going to end well.   I like the HE-400, but I listen to them less and less since getting the HE-6.  They are voiced differently but the presentation is similar in the sense that HE-6 does everything HE-400 does, but does it better (except efficiency.)

That said I don't think the bass is terribly overblown.  There is a midbass hump, though, so you might be picking up on that compared to the 6. Mostly you're probably just missing the extensive bass detail of the 6. Honestly 400 and 6 are more similar than different, despite the warmer signature of 400 and the expected "more of everything" that the higher end model provides.   HE-is is definitely the brighter treble of the two, though with less spikes. 

I'd actually argue otherwise.  HD800 is so different from pretty much everything that it doesn't really affect my comparisons to anything else.  HE-6 and HE-400 are of the same roots so they tend to blur the comparison of each other a lot more easily.  The feeling will always be that "HE-400 just doesn't cut it" when you're comparing it to what is effectively a "more perfect HE-400."  HD800 can do its own thing and not really change the opinion of the 400.

The HE400 is a loaner. I'm not sure how long but I'll enjoy it for a while.  I'm not sure what happened there on that track but I'll have to see if it comes up again. You are right about the detail of the HE6 and also the HD800 but they should be considering their price. 

As for the HD800 there is only one headphone I would pick over the HD800 and that is the SR009 but that requires a complete overhaul of my system which I am not ready to do. That and the fact that it's basically a 10k investment.

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #5,037 of 6,017
Oct 24, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #5,038 of 6,017
Quote:

I did try VSTHost with few plugins and was not happy with the result.....did like onboard Realtek EQ, they repond must better...but do not work with USB or SPDIF out...DEQ looking intersting will check out...Thanks

A you using Foobar? If yes try Graphic Equalizer plugin v 0.37 but draw a curve instead of moving sliders for best results

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #5,039 of 6,017
Quote:

A you using Foobar? If yes try Graphic Equalizer plugin v 0.37 but draw a curve instead of moving sliders for best results

Thanks for suggesting this plugin, Electri-Q did not work for HE-400 while it did great job with D2K....I miss E17 hardware EQ

can you please give me link to download plugin v 0.37.....I am not able to find one.

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #5,040 of 6,017
Quote:
Anyone know how long it takes for Head-Direct to ship from their facility from China? I placed my order 2 days ago and they said they were out of stock in the US. Still waiting to ship according to their site.

I placed an order with HeadDirect 
2012-10-11 8:39:00.​
Shipped from Hong-Kong with expected delivery date of 22nd. At a local FedEx facility in Denmark on the 19th and I didn't get it untill the 23rd,  to no fault of HD's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back