New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Oct 24, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #5,015 of 6,017
No they don't charge and will even reimburse the shipping. You'll want to reattach the cable in question though. This happened to me and it turned out that I just didn't have the connector tight enough. Just to be sure. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #5,016 of 6,017
Quote:
Hi, I got my set 2 days ago and sometimes the right ear side has no sound... send back? a bit disappointed... I have to forcefully clamp with my hands the right ear side in order to get sound back... and plug in and out the connector... has anybody had any experience with this...? is it really a factory defect? I took out the pleather pads and tightened the screws below it as well...

I had the same problem two months ago. The plugging in and out would fix the problem until I moved my head too much again. I'm guessing it was a faulty plug. Sent my pair back for a refund in the end.

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #5,017 of 6,017
Quote:
pretty sure it isn't a cable issue. had the cable connected correctly L and R.

No I mean did you test switching the cable inputs to the cups - if it's a cable or cable connector fault then switching would cause the R side to have no sound instead of L side, otherwise the L side would stay consistently quiet.

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #5,018 of 6,017
Quote:
There's two active threads for this going on at the same time so a bit hard to tell which one to post in.

I've spent a bit more time with these today and they are quite strange. I see myself enjoying them and then all of a sudden a song I know quite well and it sounds too warm and a bit too much emphasis on bass which is quite odd since I did a what the heck is going on when that came up. The treble isn't as bad as I thought it would be and somewhat overblown. It's a non issue for me. I had to switch to the HE6 after that to compare. I'm thinking in order to give these cans a fair shot I need to stay away from the HE6 and HD800 for some time. Signatures are different but so is price range. I don't own any warm headphones but earphones I do but they are completely different so nothing that can be a good standard for comparison.

If it makes any difference I'm running them from a D1 dac and a Mjolnir amp. 

You're supposed to get the HE-400 before the HE-6
biggrin.gif
  Moving down-stream from crazy priced flagships to affordable gear is never going to end well.   I like the HE-400, but I listen to them less and less since getting the HE-6.  They are voiced differently but the presentation is similar in the sense that HE-6 does everything HE-400 does, but does it better (except efficiency.)

That said I don't think the bass is terribly overblown.  There is a midbass hump, though, so you might be picking up on that compared to the 6. Mostly you're probably just missing the extensive bass detail of the 6. Honestly 400 and 6 are more similar than different, despite the warmer signature of 400 and the expected "more of everything" that the higher end model provides.   HE-is is definitely the brighter treble of the two, though with less spikes. 

Quote:
Do stay away from the HD800 for a while at least.  It's a tin-can in comparison.  There's nothing that should really be wrong with the HE-400's bass becoming too emphasized.  It's dead flat and has very low distortion.

I'd actually argue otherwise.  HD800 is so different from pretty much everything that it doesn't really affect my comparisons to anything else.  HE-6 and HE-400 are of the same roots so they tend to blur the comparison of each other a lot more easily.  The feeling will always be that "HE-400 just doesn't cut it" when you're comparing it to what is effectively a "more perfect HE-400."  HD800 can do its own thing and not really change the opinion of the 400.

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #5,021 of 6,017
Quote:
Keen ears because they are for me too, though it took a few days for me to realize it. Only thing i've heard that could be better were the Stax 007's (which oddly enough are supposed to be voiced similar).

Yikes, some pricetag on the 007's :) It's reassuring that the the HE-400 competes well at it's price level. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #5,022 of 6,017
Quote:
Quote:
HE-400 doesn't have a mid-bass hump.

I don't hear/see a mid bass hump with the he400. 

[size=medium]They do not have mid bass hump, but upper midrange sounds little hollow (may be 3-4 db) going from HD650 to HE-400…I have Lyr but not willing to play with tubes to fix this issue…[/size]

[size=medium]Recently I found iphone app Accudio by Goldenears.net, this app is cool…it is the best EQ app I used till date, can EQ to fix hollowed mids of S4i without making them muddy, great app to tweak those curves.[/size]

[size=medium]Coming back to HE-400, I wonder if can buy a separate hardware EQ component which could be used with Lyr and bifrost, [/size][size=medium]something like XPS->bifrost->Hardware EQ->Lyr->HE-400[/size]

[size=medium]Please suggest[/size]

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #5,023 of 6,017
Quote:
HE-400 doesn't have a mid-bass hump.

You're right.  For some reason I think I had the D5k graph in my head.  Though compared to the mids and treble, bass is seemingly on a "shelf" in Tyll's measurements, though I'm thinking that's with pleather. 

Nevermind.

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #5,024 of 6,017
Quote:
No I mean did you test switching the cable inputs to the cups - if it's a cable or cable connector fault then switching would cause the R side to have no sound instead of L side, otherwise the L side would stay consistently quiet.

tried it.. switched the connector of L and R to opposite cups.. it's still the right side (same side problem as before) that has sporadic sound outage...

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #5,025 of 6,017
They do not have mid bass hump, but upper midrange sounds little hollow (may be 3-4 db) going from HD650 to HE-400…I have Lyr but not willing to play with tubes to fix this issue…

Recently I found iphone app Accudio by Goldenears.net, this app is cool…it is the best EQ app I used till date, can EQ to fix hollowed mids of S4i without making them muddy, great app to tweak those curves.

Coming back to HE-400, I wonder if can buy a separate hardware EQ component which could be used with Lyr and bifrost, something like XPS->bifrost->Hardware EQ->Lyr->HE-400

Don't overthink this one. E17 is all the hardware EQ that you need for the he400. But this works best docked with the e09 and not with the lyr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back