New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Oct 22, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #4,997 of 6,017
Thanks bro. Can't wait to get my he400.

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #4,998 of 6,017
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! I missed the 5000th post! 
frown.gif

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #4,999 of 6,017
My HE-400's were waiting for me when i got home! 
ph34r.gif

I have very few reference points in this, to me, relatively new world, which makes the HE-400's the best thing i've ever heard audio-wise. I put them on without really knowing what to expect, coupling them with an Xonar Essence ST and an E17. 

I'm currently enjoying the Metallica S&M live symphony album. Soundstage is so crazy compared to my Denon D1100's. Crisp, distortion guitar with a strong presence and then a wide backing of symphony instruments. I never knew the album had texture levels like this! Just wonderful. Hell, everything is just better. Atleast now i have a reference point for further adventures :)

Comfort-wise, they seem to fit my small-ish head perfectly with the brace at the "lowest setting", and the headband doesn't seem uncomfortable after several hours of wear. Heavier than i'm used to but doesn't seem to bother me.

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #5,000 of 6,017
i just got mine too, so far i'm really enjoying them.  i'm not going to say much as i only have a couple days of listening, but i've tried every conceivable genre and the obsessive detail and clarity, combined with a fantastic coloring (laid back / dark but still very energetic, with a massive and unique soundstage) makes these cans a lot of fun, in a way i prefer them to the LCD2 (demo only) as they aren't quite as clinically accurate and i like the coloring...they are definitely better than my HD500's and my ATHM50's in essentially every aspect (my 500's have better bass extension, but no punch and they are muddy sounding).  they are sensitive to source, minor quality issues are masked in the dark presentation but 128k mp3's need not apply :wink:

overall i feel they were very worth the $$$ (which is all that matters LOL) and i'm looking forward to playing with them, and looking into better amping (i'm using the E17 which can drive them loud enough, but i've heard these scale really well with better power sources, they sound great with my old school sony 2 channel).  super comfy, shockingly great detail, fun presentation, and dark/warm but energetic sound make these the easiest to listen to that i've ever owned or demoed.  

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #5,002 of 6,017
Quote:
Does HiFiMan e-mail you when they received the headphones or when they shipped them out?

I got a refund confirmation email, then one for when the new ones shipped.

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #5,004 of 6,017
Quote:
My HE-400's were waiting for me when i got home! 
ph34r.gif

I have very few reference points in this, to me, relatively new world, which makes the HE-400's the best thing i've ever heard audio-wise.

Keen ears because they are for me too, though it took a few days for me to realize it. Only thing i've heard that could be better were the Stax 007's (which oddly enough are supposed to be voiced similar).

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #5,005 of 6,017
There's two active threads for this going on at the same time so a bit hard to tell which one to post in.

I've spent a bit more time with these today and they are quite strange. I see myself enjoying them and then all of a sudden a song I know quite well and it sounds too warm and a bit too much emphasis on bass which is quite odd since I did a what the heck is going on when that came up. The treble isn't as bad as I thought it would be and somewhat overblown. It's a non issue for me. I had to switch to the HE6 after that to compare. I'm thinking in order to give these cans a fair shot I need to stay away from the HE6 and HD800 for some time. Signatures are different but so is price range. I don't own any warm headphones but earphones I do but they are completely different so nothing that can be a good standard for comparison.

If it makes any difference I'm running them from a D1 dac and a Mjolnir amp. 

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #5,006 of 6,017
Do stay away from the HD800 for a while at least.  It's a tin-can in comparison.  There's nothing that should really be wrong with the HE-400's bass becoming too emphasized.  It's dead flat and has very low distortion.

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #5,007 of 6,017
The bass of the he400 is near perfect. The only thing even out there in an ortho that competes is the lcd series. I do like the lcd better but good grief...look at the price discrepancy. The he400 is maybe the best bang for the buck hp in existence. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #5,008 of 6,017
Quote:
The bass of the he400 is near perfect. The only thing even out there in an ortho that competes is the lcd series. I do like the lcd better but good grief...look at the price discrepancy. The he400 is maybe the best bang for the buck hp in existence. 

He400s are my first and only current set of orthos.  I have been debating the LCD2's.  Would you consider them worthy of the jump in price?

Also, thinking of going with the fostex t50rps then add typical sound dampening mods.  Would these compete with the he400s?

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #5,009 of 6,017
Hi, I got my set 2 days ago and sometimes the right ear side has no sound... send back? a bit disappointed... I have to forcefully clamp with my hands the right ear side in order to get sound back... and plug in and out the connector... has anybody had any experience with this...? is it really a factory defect? I took out the pleather pads and tightened the screws below it as well...

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #5,010 of 6,017
Quote:
Hi, I got my set 2 days ago and sometimes the right ear side has no sound... send back? a bit disappointed... I have to forcefully clamp with my hands the right ear side in order to get sound back... and plug in and out the connector... has anybody had any experience with this...? is it really a factory defect? I took out the pleather pads and tightened the screws below it as well...

Switching the cable channels doesn't help? Are you sure it's a driver issue and not a cable / connector issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back