New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Oct 12, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #4,832 of 6,017
Ow. Nice. I'm just waiting for my he400. Then I'll take a pic of my setup. Schiit bifrost/lyr and my he300 he400 and he500.

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #4,833 of 6,017
Oct 12, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #4,835 of 6,017
Well if you guys are interested to see what one of those cables is like, I'm debating ordering one (I'm not going to lie, mostly because I'm vain as hell and custom cables look fantastic) so I'll hop in with my feedback on it if I do. It'll have to wait till I'm back from Indy however. 

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #4,836 of 6,017
Quote:
I found that the person who makes the cables, he is a user here if you have any questions for him. (http://www.head-fi.org/u/293322/plussound)

I bought an iem cable from this company and didn't like it that much. Granted iem cables are different, but I asked for a refund and never heard anything back.

Regarding the Q Audio cable for the HFM. It's a small improvement over the stock cable. Smoother mids and highs and the bass was more pleasing for me. But these are small differences to me. The real reason to buy any aftermarket cable IMO, is to improve the ergonomics and usability of the cable with the hp's. The Q Cable is very soft and pliable and lays nice because of it. It never binds or tangles and is a pleasure to use. I had a moon audio cable on the he400. It has similar results sonically, but  was like a frozen garden hose in comparison to the Q cable. 

The Q cable is no longer being produced in cotton and is all French silk. I have one being made for my hd650 now. It's wonderful stuff and I'll post pics as soon as the cable comes in. Steve Eddy is a great guy to work with and I could not recommend him any more highly. Hope this helps. 

gL!!

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #4,837 of 6,017
Quote:

I bought an iem cable from this company and didn't like it that much. Granted iem cables are different, but I asked for a refund and never heard anything back.

Regarding the Q Audio cable for the HFM. It's a small improvement over the stock cable. Smoother mids and highs and the bass was more pleasing for me. But these are small differences to me. The real reason to buy any aftermarket cable IMO, is to improve the ergonomics and usability of the cable with the hp's. The Q Cable is very soft and pliable and lays nice because of it. It never binds or tangles and is a pleasure to use. I had a moon audio cable on the he400. It has similar results sonically, but  was like a frozen garden hose in comparison to the Q cable. 

The Q cable is no longer being produced in cotton and is all French silk. I have one being made for my hd650 now. It's wonderful stuff and I'll post pics as soon as the cable comes in. Steve Eddy is a great guy to work with and I could not recommend him any more highly. Hope this helps. 

gL!!

What didn't you like about the cable?

Q cables look nice but they are expensive... I wish cables weren't marked up so much. I might have to order it soon before they make the changes, because I have a feeling they are going to charge extra for the mini XLR to HE series adapters. But that means I'll have cotton and not silk...

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #4,841 of 6,017
Well, the price of these aftermarket cables really is prohibitive compared to the cost of the HE-400. Sure they are pretty, but does it really make sense to pay $150 - $200 for a $20 - $30 cable - for a $400 headphone? Might as well just buy a pair of LCD-2's...

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #4,842 of 6,017
Quote:
Well, the price of these aftermarket cables really is prohibitive compared to the cost of the HE-400. Sure they are pretty, but does it really make sense to pay $150 - $200 for a $20 - $30 cable - for a $400 headphone? Might as well just buy a pair of LCD-2's...

Now I don't care if it looks like a polished turd. Actually it looks very nice, but that's not the point. The point if you'll read for I posted is that it's about having a cable that is more functional and nicer to use. One that is soft as a braid of yarn, light weight, tangle proof ect. If you prefer to make your own cable or use the stock cable, then just do it. That's not what we're discussing here. 

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #4,843 of 6,017
Well there is still about $400 missing there to get an LCD-2... Plus then I'd want a new cable for the LCD-2
biggrin.gif

Primarily I just want a shorter cable. I always roll over mine, as it is 10 feet long, and my amp is a couple feet away. But the pretty looking cables are appealing. Ridiculously priced but I mean hey I've got the money so why not?(that was rhetorical please don't give me a list of reasons why not)

I feel like if someone didn't mark up their custom braided cables a thousand percent they could make a killing. Either that or audiophiles would ignore them due to their cheap price.

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #4,844 of 6,017
Quote:

Now I don't care if it looks like a polished turd. Actually it looks very nice, but that's not the point. The point if you'll read for I posted is that it's about having a cable that is more functional and nicer to use. One that is soft as a braid of yarn, light weight, tangle proof ect. If you prefer to make your own cable or use the stock cable, then just do it. That's not what we're discussing here. 

You misunderstand me. I totally get buying an aftermarket cable for the softness/comfort factor. I hate the stiff stock cable too. I just wouldn't spend $200+ for one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back